• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Wait, wasn't the Jags the trap game? The Jets game?

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

A trap game is a game played against a shitty team that is surrounded by two games a team might be more excited to play. Playing the Jags before the Jets isn't a trap game. And playing the Jets after the Jags isn't a trap game.

What would be a trap game is if we were to play the Jaguars right after we play the Broncos and just before we play the Seahawks.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

I don't see this team having any trap games now. We have too many high octane driven players for that to happen. There's something unique about this whole organization right now. Although I admit the AZ game wasn't a good example of this. Hopefully the exception to the rule.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• attila
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2014
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          At least this game will be played on a full grass field at the regular time, not freaking 8pm. 'duhs will come out smokin' for Sporano, but that will only last about a quarter.
          Yep, was glad when I saw the A's eliminated to get rid of that possibility again. Last year with HOU and OAK, this year with ARI. 7pm pacific and later kickoff times are no good. Must be past Rivers bed time.

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Savage Lizard View Post
            This game worries me, and I hope like hell I am wrong. Raiders are coming off of a bye, have a new coach to play for, and sitting at 0-4 this will be their Super Bowl this year. And seems like the last few years we pick one of the two Raider games to shit the bed.
            All good points, but MM seems to have changed our culture. I would have thought the Jets (who traditionally give us trouble) would have been a much tougher game. We have a history of playing down to a bad teams level, that was not the case against the Jags. We showed up ready for a cross country road game in Buffalo. This isn't the same ol, same ol Chargers.

The Duh's suck. The ghosts of Lombardi, Paul Brown and Al Davis combined wouldn't change that. This week, I'll take the Bolts regardless of the points.
            sigpic

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

We just need to keep doing what we've been doing. Mccoy knows the routine....never underestimate any opponent.....and the Raiders have been on his target list since prior to the Chargers so Im not worried about a "trap" game.

Lightning....that's an odd definition of a "trap" IMO.....just odd....I dont agree but thats just my opinion!

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                We just need to keep doing what we've been doing. Mccoy knows the routine....never underestimate any opponent.....and the Raiders have been on his target list since prior to the Chargers so Im not worried about a "trap" game.

Lightning....that's an odd definition of a "trap" IMO.....just odd....I dont agree but thats just my opinion!
                I didn't think my definition was an opinion. I didn't make it up. It's how it was defined back in the day when it referred specifically to college football. A team like Nebraska would struggle against Nurses of Eastwick, A&I, just after a thriller against Oklahoma and just before a big game against Michigan.

It's called a trap game because the game against the shitty team is trapped between games you take more seriously. You either end up mentally exhausted from the previous game and don't prepare well for the trap game, or you start preparing for the big game that follows and don't take the trap game seriously. And then you end up struggling against a team you would normally beat the shit out of.

A trap game is not just a game against a scrubby team. There are other words for that.
                Last edited by thelightningwill; 10-06-2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                  I didn't think my definition was an opinion. I didn't make it up. It's how it was defined back in the day when it referred specifically to college football. A team like Nebraska would struggle against Nurses of Eastwick, A&I, just after a thriller against Oklahoma and just before a big game against Michigan.

It's called a trap game because the game against the shitty team is trapped between games you take more seriously. You either end up mentally exhausted from the previous game and don't prepare well for the trap game, or you start preparing for the big game that follows and don't take the trap game seriously. And then you end up struggling against a team you would normally beat the shit out of.

A trap game is not just a game against a scrubby team. There are other words for that.
                  My understanding of the term was - a game against a scrubby team that you take too lightly, and thus don't prepare as much as you should, and thus face a possibility of losing because of that.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post

I agree with this definition.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Wait, wasn't the Jags the trap game? The Jets game?
                      It might be the Colts game.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                        My understanding of the term was - a game against a scrubby team that you take too lightly, and thus don't prepare as much as you should, and thus face a possibility of losing because of that.
                        Exactly. You assume because you've been playing well and beating good teams that you should roll over a weak opponent, and thus you fall into the trap.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

1. Raiders play Chargers tough, pretty much every year.
                          2. Who knows what to expect from Soporano?
                          3. Chargers are extremely, extremely beat up.
                          4. Not so worried about playing down to the level of the Raiders, but more worried about the first 3.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X