• Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

I wonder if any of the original Raiders owners are also in that hole?
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The killer instinct.

Dwight Freeney has played in two Super Bowls, once lifting the Lombardi Trophy in the Miami rain. He has more sacks than all but 20 men who have ever played in the NFL and will one day make a speech standing next to his bronze likeness when he’s inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

All that was true before he came to San Diego, his having come into the league and spent 11 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

Last Saturday night, though, Freeney stood in a hotel meeting room and delivered to his Chargers teammates what may come to be known as a defining moment in a franchise’s ascension.

He told them when he was with the Colts they would make the league’s bottom-feeders look like just that. A great team, he said, dominates a bad team.

“We know we’re the better team,” teammates recalled of the message. “So let’s go play like it.”

The New York Jets were never in the next day’s game. The Chargers scored at least once in every quarter, the Jets never scored. In the end, the Chargers had their first shutout (31-0) in three seasons and the first in the NFL this year.

Coincidence? We think not.

No, they've moved past these situations being Norvous time.

This Chargers team, which on Sunday plays another weakling in the winless Oakland Raiders, is immersed in details by a coached who doesn’t acknowledge excuses, and it is guided by veterans who have been here and there and are willing to demand they be followed.

The broad picture is this: preparation, confidence and killer instinct.

Freeney said he didn’t know whether the Chargers had that kind of ruthless determination before he arrived, but he made it a point to ensure it would be instilled going forward.

“It’s about consistency,” Freeney said. “If you’re a really good team and have the ability to beat the best teams, then you should destroy the not-so-good teams.”

When the Chargers beat the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks in the season’s second week, longtime fans were less surprised than they would have been if the Chargers lost two weeks later to the Jacksonville Jaguars or to the Jets.

Losing to – and struggling to beat – weaker teams has been sort of a hallmark of Chargers teams in recent years. In fact, even in McCoy’s first season a year ago, the Chargers were 5-2 against teams that made the playoffs and 3-4 against teams that finished with a losing record, including losses to the teams with the league’s two worst records and a third loss to a team that finished tied for the third-worst record.

That lattermost team was the Raiders, which bring us to the next step in this season of tests for the Chargers, the final game in a three-week proving period against teams who to this point are a combined 1-13.

The Chargers are 4-1, but they know how quickly that could become 4-2 and then .500 and even worse. They were 4-1 in 2011 before losing six straight.

“Won’t happen,” safety Eric Weddle said of there being such a slide now.

Agreed. The Chargers could lose Sunday, but it won’t be because they didn’t take the Raiders seriously or were thinking about upcoming games against the Kansas City Chiefs and at the Denver Broncos.

“We’re still in a process, building to what we want to be,” Weddle said. “But that’s what the great teams do, they demolish teams that aren’t as good. We’re not overlooking them, by any means. Confidence is different than being cocky.”

So far, that has been evident.

As has been the case each week, we’ll find out more Sunday, in another game against a grossly inferior opponent, whether what we’ve come to believe about this Chargers team remains valid.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

And it took how many years to get that attitude?
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

One point five.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• blahblahblah
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            And it took how many years to get that attitude?
            Attitude, consistency, and professionalism are all about leadership both from the coaches and the veteran players. We got rid of the turds, now to beat the turds.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

But but but Shawn Philips...
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

These Chargers are all business. No let down or trap game here.

Bolts by 17!

Comment

Ok, so this isn't the prediction thread. So I can speak my mind. We are going to whoop these fucking clowns into oblivion. Their sole bright spots are 1 linebacker and POSSIBLY a running back. Fuck these fuckfarts into their hell of karma for eternity. If we don't beat these fucking shitbags by 40 points, I will be severely depressed. The only thing that will get me out of that depression is if we don't beat these cumstained pirate wannabes into submission by 70 points when they play in San Diego. Hopefully, all their fans will contract Ebola and AIDS and choke on 1,000 dicks until they bleed profusely from their sternums and can no longer be sustained by Darth Vader, any skeleton parts, any gorillas, Amy Trask, or any
                  Voodoo bullshit they've been praying over. I hope Reggie McKenzie has a fucking seizure and that Mark Davis is visited by so many bouts of diarrhea that he succumbs to the God of Shit in such a manner that it causes
                  him to re-evaluate his entire life, and therefore makes him believe that the only place his cheating bastard of a fucking franchise has hope is in the Valley of Buttfucking, where statisticians await to call him out on his
                  teams' YPC statistics for ever and eternity. And in addition, I hope that Oakland and Los Angeles burst into fire simultaneously, while Al Davis jigs in an eternal spire of Lyle Alzado's urine while having to listen to "Bad Boys
                  Running Wild" by the Scorpions until they all bleed from their anuses. And then, while they're contemplating the whole "bad boy" lifestyle, they're struck by 9,375,358,016,153,692,063 lightning bolts to their scrotums, while Dan Fouts kicks all of their descendants in the balls, and Dave Caspar dances in a column of flames, while Ken Stabler's nipples are arracked repeatedly by Ebola-infected pirhanna. And furthermore, FUCK THOSE
                  GUYS AND ANYONE WHO AFFILIATES THEMSELVES WITH THAT SHITTY FRANCHISE.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

You go boy!
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Seriously though, tell us how you really feel!

Comment

• Sec-E4
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2014
                        • Arizona
                        • Send PM

That'd be cool if you were in Oakland tomorrow & everyone thought you'd be the guy to sing the National Anthem, But instead you recited your rant !

I wonder what would happen ? Maybe a few boo's ?

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Opera singer and web developer.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                          Ok, so this isn't the prediction thread. So I can speak my mind. We are going to whoop these fucking clowns into oblivion. Their sole bright spots are 1 linebacker and POSSIBLY a running back. Fuck these fuckfarts into their hell of karma for eternity. If we don't beat these fucking shitbags by 40 points, I will be severely depressed. The only thing that will get me out of that depression is if we don't beat these cumstained pirate wannabes into submission by 70 points when they play in San Diego. Hopefully, all their fans will contract Ebola and AIDS and choke on 1,000 dicks until they bleed profusely from their sternums and can no longer be sustained by Darth Vader, any skeleton parts, any gorillas, Amy Trask, or any
                          Voodoo bullshit they've been praying over. I hope Reggie McKenzie has a fucking seizure and that Mark Davis is visited by so many bouts of diarrhea that he succumbs to the God of Shit in such a manner that it causes
                          him to re-evaluate his entire life, and therefore makes him believe that the only place his cheating bastard of a fucking franchise has hope is in the Valley of Buttfucking, where statisticians await to call him out on his
                          teams' YPC statistics for ever and eternity. And in addition, I hope that Oakland and Los Angeles burst into fire simultaneously, while Al Davis jigs in an eternal spire of Lyle Alzado's urine while having to listen to "Bad Boys
                          Running Wild" by the Scorpions until they all bleed from their anuses. And then, while they're contemplating the whole "bad boy" lifestyle, they're struck by 9,375,358,016,153,692,063 lightning bolts to their scrotums, while Dan Fouts kicks all of their descendants in the balls, and Dave Caspar dances in a column of flames, while Ken Stabler's nipples are arracked repeatedly by Ebola-infected pirhanna. And furthermore, FUCK THOSE
                          GUYS AND ANYONE WHO AFFILIATES THEMSELVES WITH THAT SHITTY FRANCHISE.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X