• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I see your point, Alex, but all of those guys (except Flowers) played for Norv. So either Norv was not a strong enough leader to trust his vets or McCoy is the real McCoy. By the way, really love Flowers. What a great add to this team, on the field and in the lockerroom. Almost singlehandedly turned the secondary into a bunch of swaggering superstars.

TG
    They do seem to respect McCoy totally and the players look to have adopted his mantra of next man up with total abandon/fire.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

I agree and good points. I also feel that the decision making of the front office and coaching staff is outstanding. The best I have seen.

Signing relatively cheap, but big upgrade, players at depth positions
      Great drafts
      Preparing players to play multiple positions
      Making tough roster decisions and making the right call - Tutu (he has become an absolutely deadly gunner and that catch and move yesterday was awesome. Something Osgood could never do), Oliver (recall it was neck and neck between him and Grice)
      Creating an atmosphere where players campaign to sign a star like Flowers
      Letting Jarret Johnson be with his wife and new baby
      Working the waiver wire to shore up the ridiculous amount of injuries

McCoy is hokey and all in his speeches, but you get the feeling he really practices what he preaches. And I think that is why the team plays so hard for him. He is a genuine person, not some phony rah-rah bravado guy. And I think he really cares about his players, men, and their families.
      My only concern is that the Chargers will have to let a really good player go to sign someone off the street at a position of need. But nothing can be done about it.

TG
      It's because he's a Ute!

Go Utes!
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Thunder Thighs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Love that McCoy stuck to the run, instead of abandoning it and throwing the ball 50 times.

Rex loaded up on DBs for the game and only activated 4 DL. Their DL got gassed early in the 110 degree heat, then Sheldon Richardson got dinged up. Complete fail for Rex.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Just a couple of quick stats...

After 5 games, we are:

- Averaging 26.6 points scored/game (Top 5)
          - Averaging 12.6 points allowed/game (#1 In the League)

The Chargers have allowed only 63 points through 5 games. The closest team - in points allowed - is Cincinnati, who has allowed 76 points....in FOUR games. Seattle has allowed 66 points...in THREE games. Baltimore is second with 16.0 ppg allowed.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

I'm not a big pats fan, however I have understood that they are winners based on a few simple things (that are not easy to attain).
            • SYSTEM- They have a system in place and they stick to year after year. Its a combination of coaches that buy into the head coaches system and teach the system down to the last man. You can overcome injuries to key players when the next man up, albeit not as talented, understands the system and puts himself where he is supposed to be.
            • FIELD COMMANDERS- In their recent 10 year run of pretty competitive teams they have had a very good QB and other leaders on O and D that have bought into the system 100%. When the leaders believe in the SYSTEM, the others will follow.

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Reich has had a fairly good/great game plan against fairly stout defenses ( I don't think it's his decision to shut down the offense vs AZ). And Pagano has coached a top ranking D since becoming DC (except for the first half of the 2013 season). People can argue all they want about whether stats may be inflated etc, but we've improved steadily under him even when he's had a mash unit these past 2.5 seasons.

Comment

• Knucklebear
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I really like what McCoy has done with the team. He mentions in his press conference after the game that one of the reasons they're successful despite the injuries is that they have systems in place and the systems are working. I never got the sense that Norv had systems and if he did they were spotty at best.

Another thing that impresses me is that the Chargers don't seem to be playing down to the level of their competition. They are handily beating the teams that they should which is a refreshing change from the old days.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Knucklebear View Post
                  I really like what McCoy has done with the team. He mentions in his press conference after the game that one of the reasons they're successful despite the injuries is that they have systems in place and the systems are working. I never got the sense that Norv had systems and if he did they were spotty at best.

Another thing that impresses me is that the Chargers don't seem to be playing down to the level of their competition. They are handily beating the teams that they should which is a refreshing change from the old days.
                  I will give McCoy credit for giving equal reps in training camp to everyone. That really has made a difference ever since last year when that was a comment made by a new player. The O lineman constantly having to line up all across the line has also clearly made a difference. I caught a little bit of Hardwick yesterday on 1360 and he joked that Coach D thinks every OG can be a C and makes them practice accordingly. It sure has proved useful this season.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Good points Knucklebear and I agree with you. However I do recall Acee writing that Norv had a plan for everything and it was one of the most impressive things about that intellectual, lovable, fun to get to know, man.

But of course, that was Acee who never passes an opportunity to take a shot at the new guy, too.

So very proud of Spanos for making great hires in Telesco and McCoy. I remember a lot of us making fun of the ownership during the process but so far they have hit a home run and are making this into an organization that will be successful for a long time.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

But of course, that was Acee who never passes an opportunity to take a shot at the new guy, too.
                      He is acting like a jilted little bitch because his inside scoop with Norv and AJ is gone and now he is treated like everyone else.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Royal was interviewed today on 1090 he was saying Rivers is doing something only a handful of QBs can or would do. He is calling out the blocking assignments for his Oline since Hardwick is out. On top of getting lined up reading the defense calling the play changing the play, AND he is calling blocking assignments! Frigging amazing!
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Remember, Chargers fans, that Royal took a pay cut this year, coached up Inman, convinced Flowers to sign, and has been on fire since that one bad play against Az. And he and Flowers are pretty tight (listen and watch the mic'd up piece) and they are both FAs next season. Royal is the kind of player the Chargers should keep and make an effort to resign.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X