• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

ESPN: The Chargers add depth in a receiver group that includes Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. Before the draft, Chargers general manager Tom Telesco emphasized the importance of speed in the Bolts' offense and Reed certainly fits the description. He can line up in the slot or backfield and is considered an excellent returner. Last season at Virginia, Reed caught 77 passes for 679 yards and seven touchdowns. - Lindsey Thiry

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      Jet sweeps too.
      Zierlein projects Joe Reed to core ST Gunner also.
      AL wanted someone who can play Slot and Outside.
      OL's friend with the underneath stuff.
      Flanker screens
      reverses
      and running out of backfield.....he right now is our biggest RB.....

Comment

• SYB
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I mentioned the Chargers need a WR with speed that could replicate the skill set that Deebo Samuels brought to the 49ers. Ability to catch the ball, run after the catch, screens, reverses, etc. It seems like Josh has that skillset. In no way shape or form am I going to say he will have the impact Deebo had - Deebo was a 2nd rounder. But I like this selection for what he might bring to the offense.

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
            I mentioned the Chargers need a WR with speed that could replicate the skill set that Deebo Samuels brought to the 49ers. Ability to catch the ball, run after the catch, screens, reverses, etc. It seems like Josh has that skillset. In no way shape or form am I going to say he will have the impact Deebo had - Deebo was a 2nd rounder. But I like this selection for what he might bring to the offense.
            He compares very favorably from an athletic standpoint to Deebo. We shall see...

I like the pick a lot.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Joe Reed is an excellent athlete, but you need to find ways to get him the ball, because he was not getting open that much against college defenses let alone NFL ones. Think of him like a poor man's Cordarrelle Patterson (WR Min, Raiders, NE and Bears).

You have to manufacture ways of getting him the ball in space on offense. Patterson simply doesn't get open all that well as a traditional WR running regular routes. He is too much running on straightlines, not enough guile and confusion. So you can't line him up at WR and think he will do much. You can do some swing passes and screens, and jet sweeps. He ran a reverse against us for a TD with the Raiders. NE used him at RB some. He has always been a good kick returner.

The good thing is that Reed is somewhat better of a receiver, so maybe he will develop in that role. But we could use him as a return guy, which is what it seems like we drafted him for. He may develop as a WR. He runs a nice quick out to the flat, and he can run a OK flag route. He has the speed to be a good receiver, but he has to use some more creativity, or NFL DB will see what he is doing and simply be one step ahead of him.

Still, you get him the ball in space, he is the kind of guy who can make big plays. It is just tough because they don't necessarily have a traditional position. Some teams asked about moving him to RB, which is probably an option. At 6' and 224 lbs he is bigger and as well built as many true every down RB, which is excellent for a slot WR. He is decently fast at high 4.4's, although that is not going to make him a deep threat from speed alone. But maybe he is a RB, or just an athlete, and we won't worry about the position.

The big difference with Deebo Samuels and Reed is that Reed has the kind of body that says I can take a huge pounding and keep going. Samuels had a huge injury history in college, and not the best build to take a lot of hits. Samuels is a better player and is more ready to play, but Reed probably will have a longer career, if he can find a role.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Joe Reed is an excellent athlete, but you need to find ways to get him the ball, because he was not getting open that much against college defenses let alone NFL ones. Think of him like a poor man's Cordarrelle Patterson (WR Min, Raiders, NE and Bears).

You have to manufacture ways of getting him the ball in space on offense. Patterson simply doesn't get open all that well as a traditional WR running regular routes. He is too much running on straightlines, not enough guile and confusion. So you can't line him up at WR and think he will do much. You can do some swing passes and screens, and jet sweeps. He ran a reverse against us for a TD with the Raiders. NE used him at RB some. He has always been a good kick returner.

The good thing is that Reed is somewhat better of a receiver, so maybe he will develop in that role. But we could use him as a return guy, which is what it seems like we drafted him for. He may develop as a WR. He runs a nice quick out to the flat, and he can run a OK flag route. He has the speed to be a good receiver, but he has to use some more creativity, or NFL DB will see what he is doing and simply be one step ahead of him.

Still, you get him the ball in space, he is the kind of guy who can make big plays. It is just tough because they don't necessarily have a traditional position. Some teams asked about moving him to RB, which is probably an option. At 6' and 224 lbs he is bigger and as well built as many true every down RB, which is excellent for a slot WR. He is decently fast at high 4.4's, although that is not going to make him a deep threat from speed alone. But maybe he is a RB, or just an athlete, and we won't worry about the position.
                Joe needs work with his route stems/tree but he has an excellent receiving skillset with size, burst, speed, physicality to beat any coverage.
                Perkins is a generalized location passer. Reed’s development was hindered by this.
                Joe will receive quality coaching and ascend rapidly as a WR.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Joe needs work with his route stems/tree but he has an excellent receiving skillset with size, burst, speed, physicality to beat any coverage.
                  Perkins is a generalized location passer. Reed’s development was hindered by this.
                  Joe will receive quality coaching and ascend rapidly as a WR.
                  That description of Reed makes it seem as though he'll also be an effective blocker. At least would have the potential. I like the toughness/physicality element we added at WR. Very impressed that Telesco went for that. I think he's learned from watching Travis Benjamin do what he did.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Reed may end up being our best pick.

Reed--Parnham--Hill.

Several new gadgets ala SF 49ers
                    (you may have forgotten that they drafted Deebo AND Jalen Hurds last year.)

Three mobile QBs.

AL said yesterday, between sips of coffee, that we will run Pistol, even RPO.

This is HUGE...not the Parcells/clouds of dust we've been visualizing.

Anthony, what the devil have you and Steichen been up to ?
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I just watched the vid of KJ Hill and fam when the pick finally came down.

Eyes watered up.

Imagine knowing how good you are, how messed up this deal is, and finally getting to jump for joy.

Joe & KJ...we've been caught stealing in this draft. LAC Media...LOL. Again.

Stay humble my man--set high goals.

As Joe said, "Charger Nation" wtf is dat ?
                      and "Bolt Up !" yeah oh yeah.

Man I like this combo with Slayer and @darealmike_dub.

Nice. Real nice.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Reed may end up being our best pick.

Reed--Parnham--Hill.

Several new gadgets ala SF 49ers
                        (you may have forgotten that they drafted Deebo AND Jalen Hurds last year.)

Three mobile QBs.

AL said yesterday, between sips of coffee, that we will run Pistol, even RPO.

This is HUGE...not the Parcells/clouds of dust we've been visualizing.

Anthony, what the devil have you and Steichen been up to ?
                        this is something 'bout Herbert that has my eyebrows raised, as getting the sense that Justin might not be so effective unless he is employed to run some, ala Josh Allen/Cam, and.... wondering if he has the frame to hold up physically in the League ??

can't recall the team (NE ?) that said they like to draft a QB every year.... should we keep QB on the list of needs for next year's draft ??
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

this is something 'bout Herbert that has my eyebrows raised, as getting the sense that Justin might not be so effective unless he is employed to run some, ala Josh Allen/Cam, and.... wondering if he has the frame to hold up physically in the League ??

can't recall the team (NE ?) that said they like to draft a QB every year.... should we keep QB on the list of needs for next year's draft ??
                          6'6", 236 lbs and you asked that question? Lol
                          I doubt they will run him like Cam was used but guessing they will show RPO to keep the defenses off balance.

Comment

Working...
                          X