• Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

6'6", 236 lbs and you asked that question? Lol
    I doubt they will run him like Cam was used but guessing they will show RPO to keep the defenses off balance.
    and Cam is 6'5" 245 lbs. and you want nothin' to do w/him.... guessin' in part due to his health/history of taking too many beatdowns.... regardless of size.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Joe needs work with his route stems/tree but he has an excellent receiving skillset with size, burst, speed, physicality to beat any coverage.
      Perkins is a generalized location passer. Reed’s development was hindered by this.
      Joe will receive quality coaching and ascend rapidly as a WR.
      He is built like a starting RB. They may use him as a RB, some teams asked him about that.

We could also think of him as a RB/Slot/Mini TE - in short what used to be known as a wing back. Some of that is boring (blocking and decoy), but it gives the QB a chance to get him the ball in space, and Reed can make big plays when he gets the ball in his hands.

Reed is a poor man's Cee Dee Lamb. He is a guy who doesn't run routes that well, but is dangerous every time he touches the ball. Most 5th round picks don't get the sort of featured attention like Lamb did at OU, where they tried to get him the ball with a lot of bubble screens, short reverses and all the other tricks to avoid making him get open, which he doesn't do well. If he can learn the route running, great. If not, there are still ways to get him the ball, and let him make plays in space.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        Reed may end up being our best pick.

Reed--Parnham--Hill.

Several new gadgets ala SF 49ers
        (you may have forgotten that they drafted Deebo AND Jalen Hurds last year.)

Three mobile QBs.

AL said yesterday, between sips of coffee, that we will run Pistol, even RPO.

This is HUGE...not the Parcells/clouds of dust we've been visualizing.

Anthony, what the devil have you and Steichen been up to ?
        I think you are confusing RPO's and Zone read. An RPO the QB takes the ball, reads a defender and then either hands off or throws. Most RPO's, the QB in NOT the ball carrier. Rivers ran RPO's for us last year, it's not a mobility thing. Nor does it expose the QB to an excessive number of hits, unless it is executed poorly, in which case that is the issue, not whether it is a RPO or not.

Pistol is basically a way to combine shotgun and still have a decent selection of running plays.

The reason that shotgun was used sparingly in the NFL for years was that it is hard to run a lot of the NFL favorite run plays from it. NFL teams like the "I" formation or single back (Ace) formation, because the RB lining up 7 yards deep, can attack any and all of the gaps. If there is penetration, they can cut back, or bounce the play outside of the penetration. It is not desirable to allow penetration, but there is still a chance to be successful.

Shotgun is limited in the run plays. Either the RB has to run parrallel to the line, where any penetration blows up the play, or is restricted to draws and quick traps (which have fallen out of favor too). Teams have had some success running inside zone, which often looks like a draw play (people used to claim that Frank called nothing but draw plays when he was OC, but it was a mix of draws and inside zone), because the inside zone run out of shotgun, limits the RB getting up to speed. Where they can be moving towards the intention of the play at the snap in the "I", the RB has to take a side-step to take the ball from the QB, and loses all chances of cutting back to the backside of the play, they are committed to going frontside, and they can't see the backside very well because their shoulders are turned.

Pistol fixes that. It has the advantages of the "I" running game, while giving the QB the advantages of the shotgun. Win-win.

I imagine he will get some token Zone reads, but again, there are other ways to slow backside pursuit, so unless the is an opponent who is particularly vulnerable to it, I doubt we run it all that often. Just enough to keep defenses defending it, and not running the backside DE/OLB down on the RB on the zone runs. Those do expose the QB to taking hits, and those are the runs that got Cam beaten up (plus the regular QB runs).

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Could be.
          Of course your chops are far advanced to mine.
          I am thinking in terms of how different it all will be,
          even if Rivers ran offenses with similar titles.
          Run Pass Option-Zone Read-Campen Zone Blocking.
          This is far removed from "road grader, big back, power mentality,"
          is that fair to say ?

And my focus, my capabilities, are in personnel study, and as a fan. I never have coached, and would also appreciate and yield to your expertise, especially when it gets too deep.

Kelley seems to be good at reading blocks, being decisive, and hitting the correct hole. Gordon was more powerful, more athletic,
          but left yards out there by not being decisive and efficient.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He is built like a starting RB. They may use him as a RB, some teams asked him about that.

We could also think of him as a RB/Slot/Mini TE - in short what used to be known as a wing back. Some of that is boring (blocking and decoy), but it gives the QB a chance to get him the ball in space, and Reed can make big plays when he gets the ball in his hands.

Reed is a poor man's Cee Dee Lamb. He is a guy who doesn't run routes that well, but is dangerous every time he touches the ball. Most 5th round picks don't get the sort of featured attention like Lamb did at OU, where they tried to get him the ball with a lot of bubble screens, short reverses and all the other tricks to avoid making him get open, which he doesn't do well. If he can learn the route running, great. If not, there are still ways to get him the ball, and let him make plays in space.
            Deebo is a more accurate comp vs Lamb.
            I agree Joe will be used as an offensive weapon as a multifaceted WR who runs jet sweeps, bubbles, verts, and a variety of routes out of multiple offensive positions. He could get 15-20 touches a game. He is a threat to score everytime he gets the ball in his hands.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I agree Joe will be used as an offensive weapon as a multifaceted WR who runs jet sweeps, bubbles, verts, and a variety of routes out of multiple offensive positions. He could get 15-20 touches a game. He is a threat to score everytime he gets the ball in his hands.
              The film shows a confident player who just makes plays.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Hard to think of him, and a lot of our picks, as rookies. I know it’s deceptive but they look so ready to step in now, with upside to get even better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I hope he doesn't get that many touches. That limits the touches of the stars we already have.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I hope he doesn't get that many touches. That limits the touches of the stars we already have.
                    That is with his touches in the return game.
                    1-5 rush attempts
                    2-8 targets/receptions
                    1-10 return touches.

More playmakers we have the more effective everyone/team is.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

That is with his touches in the return game.
                      1-5 rush attempts
                      2-8 targets/receptions
                      1-10 return touches.

More playmakers we have the more effective everyone/team is.
                      OK. But I'd be pissed if he got 10 kick return touches per game for other reasons.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

OK. But I'd be pissed if he got 10 kick return touches per game for other reasons.
                        I also think he’ll return punts. I don’t think we’re planning on resigning King.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Can he realistically play any FB?
                          we let Watt go and now only have 2 UDFA
                          anyone else have potential?
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X