• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
    My worry, no matter when Herbert starts, is that they throw coach Lynn out at the end of the season... which is certainly possible.

But I look at Tyrod's last job... Cleveland. He was a placeholder for a rookie QB.
    Then he was benched, early in the season.
    Then the Coach was fired during the season.
    Then, they panic hired the OC (who had been the QB coach) as the Head Coach.
    And now, they have ANOTHER HC and they looked like ass the first week this year.

I actually really like Coach Lynn as a person, and I don't want to cut ties with him too soon.

I want Herbert to win the job. But this is Coach Lynn, and he's all about that Loyalty, and he loves himself some Tyrod Taylor.

So, I don't think we'll see Herbert this year. (this isn't what I want... what I want is Herbert to play, and to play well enough that Lynn keeps his job)

Like I said earlier, the only way we see him, is they are absolutely terrible in the coming weeks (which isn't out of the question after Cincy), or after the Bye week, and we're out of the playoff picture.
    It is certainly possible. Hue Jackson as you already mentioned. But also Jeff Fisher, Lovie Smith, and Todd Bowles are all guys that have been axed the following season after their QBOTF was drafted. Now you just have to hope the next HC after Lynn is more like the Rams success than whatever happened with the Browns, Bucs, and Jets.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

What if Herbert is not ready to see the field yet?
      He was still learning to master the verbal snap count a couple of weeks ago. Is throwing him to the wolves the best strategy?
      I think, as I stated before, that Herbert will get a package or 2 each week starting around mid-season. This will expand as the season wind down.
      Tyrod will improve beyond his first game performance as well. Justin’s time will come soon enough just not week 2.

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

There are many expert ex-NFL QB's(like Simms, Aikman, etc) and QB's who are currently playing that have said a QB learns very little sitting on the bench..... the quickest way to learn to be an NFL QB is to be playing every week, win or lose....... especially today with the rules slanted for passing success...... unless the OL is so bad the rookie wont survive.....

If the Chargers had a great vet QB who could win now and lead team to playoffs then that would be reason to wait for a year on Herbert but that is not the case.....Taylor is a good backup QB, and nothing more........ so there is no reason to waste time playing him...... Chargers need to start the future now, instead of waiting for Taylor to lose several games first.......
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Tol
        From Accounting
        • Mar 2019
        • Carlsbad
        • Send PM

I don't get all the talk about firing Lynn. I like having stability with the head coach job. That's a good way to build a solid program. Steelers fans might scream and hate on Tomlin, but they've never had a losing season with him. Let that sink in. It's been 1 game without Rivers. I want to give Lynn his chance to do things his way with his guys. Him and Tom JUST drafted their QB, let's see how things play out. Two seasons, yes TWO, is what I'm giving him (also because this was an off year) to see what he and Herbert can do together before I start thinking of calling for a change. Unless he loses the locker room or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tol View Post
          I don't get all the talk about firing Lynn. I like having stability with the head coach job. That's a good way to build a solid program. Steelers fans might scream and hate on Tomlin, but they've never had a losing season with him. Let that sink in. It's been 1 game without Rivers. I want to give Lynn his chance to do things his way with his guys. Him and Tom JUST drafted their QB, let's see how things play out. Two seasons, yes TWO, is what I'm giving him (also because this was an off year) to see what he and Herbert can do together before I start thinking of calling for a change. Unless he loses the locker room or something.
          I agree that stability is a good thing with the right HC. Stability under Norv Turner was not a good thing. It was kind of like letting the town drunk drive your Ferrari. Sooner or later, bad results were going to happen.

We had a potential Super Bowl contender in 2018 and instead of fixing what went wrong in 2019, we got rid of part of what was right. Now, we are going to be reaping what was sowed throughout this season. And the frustration is that this season did not need to be a throw away season.

I think the performance for both Lynn and Telesco has been mixed. Telesco started out not doing very well, got better and now has declined some. Lynn started out doing well, but has dropped off and appears to have the team headed in the wrong direction. To me, it looks like we will be worse two years in a row than we were in the previous season.

The Spanos clan being the Spanos clan, they will probably let Lynn coach the team through 2021 when his contract is scheduled to expire, but absent having the team moving in the right direction given his apparent influence over the team with Taylor's role and the departure of a still useful Rivers, the decision to fire him should be a very easy one.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            He was still learning to master the verbal snap count a couple of weeks ago. Is throwing him to the wolves the best strategy?
            I think, as I stated before, that Herbert will get a package or 2 each week starting around mid-season. This will expand as the season wind down.
            Tyrod will improve beyond his first game performance as well. Justin’s time will come soon enough just not week 2.

The analysts have discussed playing as being productive of a more accelerated learning process, which is the best approach.

I agree with the others who have the opinion that we will not be doing anything this year in terms of a playoff possibility, so this is the perfect opportunity to accelerate Herbert's learning curve. We need him up to speed during as much of his rookie contract as possible.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

i agre with this.
              Herbert comes from Shotgun clap snap to taking snaps under center with a cadence. Throwing him out there now and even i could jump the snap on his clap timings.

Patience fellow die hards, Herbert needs to learn without having 280LB DE smashing him

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

i agre with this.
                Herbert comes from Shotgun clap snap to taking snaps under center with a cadence. Throwing him out there now and even i could jump the snap on his clap timings.

Patience fellow die hards, Herbert needs to learn without having 280LB DE smashing him
                flagged for inappropriate sexual content.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                  I thought Tyrod was "not ready to see the field" for last weeks game. If Tyrod plays poorly again this week we may see a change sooner than you think. If Herbert's not ready yet - give Stick a shot. I just don't think they should keep starting Tyrod if he keeps overthrowing receivers again. That said, I expect more from him this week. Surely he can play better than that! He showed us some improvement in the second half so there's room for hope.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• PR#1
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I thought Tyrod was "not ready to see the field" for last weeks game. If Tyrod plays poorly again this week we may see a change sooner than you think. If Herbert's not ready yet - give Stick a shot. I just don't think they should keep starting Tyrod if he keeps overthrowing receivers again. That said, I expect more from him this week. Surely he can play better than that! He showed us some improvement in the second half so there's room for hope.
                    I wasn't sure what was worse. Watching Tyrod operate on offense or going to the dentist to get a hard scraping and deep cleaning.

I think that is a 50/50 decision at this point

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

I wasn't sure what was worse. Watching Tyrod operate on offense or going to the dentist to get a hard scraping and deep cleaning.

I think that is a 50/50 decision at this point
                      flagged for "Tyrod Hate"
                      wait
                      nevermind.
                      that's funny.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

If Tyrod is this bad we'd be better off trading for the red rocket on dallas. With Dak back on the field it would make him tradeable and he would be a significant upgrade over tyrod! That would give the chargers 2 years to train Herbie and we don't have to watch this folly unfold!
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                          If Tyrod is this bad we'd be better off trading for the red rocket on dallas. With Dak back on the field it would make him tradeable and he would be a significant upgrade over tyrod! That would give the chargers 2 years to train Herbie and we don't have to watch this folly unfold!
                          Even if Andy was better than Tyrod after adjusting for scheme and familiarity, is that difference really going to put us over the hump?
                          I say, no friggin way.
                          I suppose you could argue for a better chance in 2021 but if TPB lynch mob can’t wait until the bye week to start Herbie, they would die if they had to wait for 2022!
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X