Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

And that’s the way it should be. Herbert shouldn’t be playing this year. I think people have to have the right expectations for this season. We’re not contending for a championship.
    Then that is EXACTLY the reason to start him. If the season is going to be a wash. Then get the kid some seasoning. Hell this is the best offensive line the Chargers have had in over a decade. LOL. Get him in then and get his feet wet. What I saw of Burrow he's going to be a stud QB. I would love to see what we have riding the pine. Let the kid play.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

Then that is EXACTLY the reason to start him. If the season is going to be a wash. Then get the kid some seasoning. Hell this is the best offensive line the Chargers have had in over a decade. LOL. Get him in then and get his feet wet. What I saw of Burrow he's going to be a stud QB. I would love to see what we have riding the pine. Let the kid play.
      Not only That but we have a top 10 defense that will help to mitigate some of his mistakes as well. Better to breathe fresh air into the team than to kill it with indifference.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

Burrows is currently better and more NFL ready than Herbert. So if we had drafted him, he would be starting for us as well.

And no on Herbert starting. At least as long as possible. I rather he ride the pines and work on the basics right now. Things that are key to him doing well next season and in which he doesn’t need live reps.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Burrows is currently better and more NFL ready than Herbert. So if we had drafted him, he would be starting for us as well.

And no on Herbert starting. At least as long as possible. I rather he ride the pines and work on the basics right now. Things that are key to him doing well next season and in which he doesn’t need live reps.
          There are many expert ex-NFL QB's(like Simms, Aikman, etc) and QB's who are currently playing that have said a QB learns very little sitting on the bench..... the quickest way to learn to be an NFL QB is to be playing every week, win or lose....... especially today with the rules slanted for passing success...... unless the OL is so bad the rookie wont survive.....

If the Chargers had a great vet QB who could win now and lead team to playoffs then that would be reason to wait for a year on Herbert but that is not the case.....Taylor is a good backup QB, and nothing more........ so there is no reason to waste time playing him...... Chargers need to start the future now, instead of waiting for Taylor to lose several games first.......

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

says who? The first year of play is going to be shaky no matter what. Given how bad the first game was played by the offense I have more question marks about coaching than I do about the Rookie QB.
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lyth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

It can go both ways. Lots of teams have started rookies behind a bad line. One example is Aikman. He took a ton of abuse his first season. He moved on from it, and even though he can't form complete sentences anymore, he overcame and turned into a great QB. The other side is David Carr. He never seemed to recover from his first season. The rest of his career he was hearing footsteps every play.

Tough to tell how Herbert will react, especially without an off-season. I'd probably start him off like Lamar Jackson. Make a couple of packages for him and give him a few plays a game to get acclimated.

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

There are many expert ex-NFL QB's(like Simms, Aikman, etc) and QB's who are currently playing that have said a QB learns very little sitting on the bench..... the quickest way to learn to be an NFL QB is to be playing every week, win or lose..wi..... especially today with the rules slanted for passing success...... unless the OL is so bad the rookie wont survive.....

If the Chargers had a great vet QB who could win now and lead team to playoffs then that would be reason to wait for a year on Herbert but that is not the case.....Taylor is a good backup QB, and nothing more........ so there is no reason to waste time playing him...... Chargers need to start the future now, instead of waiting for Taylor to lose several games first.......

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

says who? The first year of play is going to be shaky no matter what. Given how bad the first game was played by the offense I have more question marks about coaching than I do about the Rookie QB.
                Says a lot of experts. And my own analysis of Burrows. And yes, of course we can all be wrong. But I have always been higher on Burrows due to what I’ve seen. He has the mental and mechanical part down for the most part. With Herbert, I see someone who needs a year to get those two things down. Otherwise he’s more likely to develop bad habits that will hinder his progress going forward.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

There are many expert ex-NFL QB's(like Simms, Aikman, etc) and QB's who are currently playing that have said a QB learns very little sitting on the bench..... the quickest way to learn to be an NFL QB is to be playing every week, win or lose....... especially today with the rules slanted for passing success...... unless the OL is so bad the rookie wont survive.....

Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, etc. all waited behind crappy starting QBs.

And they all had a normal offseason to prepare compared to Herbert.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

The main thing I would be preach is patience. I know it’s tempting to want to try out our new toy. But with someone raw like Herbert, patience is a virtue. Ideally you let this be his redshirt season. Key word being ideally. The NFL almost never provides ideal situations.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

My worry, no matter when Herbert starts, is that they throw coach Lynn out at the end of the season... which is certainly possible.

But I look at Tyrod's last job... Cleveland. He was a placeholder for a rookie QB.
                      Then he was benched, early in the season.
                      Then the Coach was fired during the season.
                      Then, they panic hired the OC (who had been the QB coach) as the Head Coach.
                      And now, they have ANOTHER HC and they looked like ass the first week this year.

I actually really like Coach Lynn as a person, and I don't want to cut ties with him too soon.

I want Herbert to win the job. But this is Coach Lynn, and he's all about that Loyalty, and he loves himself some Tyrod Taylor.

So, I don't think we'll see Herbert this year. (this isn't what I want... what I want is Herbert to play, and to play well enough that Lynn keeps his job)

Like I said earlier, the only way we see him, is they are absolutely terrible in the coming weeks (which isn't out of the question after Cincy), or after the Bye week, and we're out of the playoff picture.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• TheNose
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2020
                        • Send PM

If the Chargers keep squeaking by with wins, Tyrod will stay in. If you want to see Herbert, root for some losses due to a lackluster offense

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TheNose View Post
                          If the Chargers keep squeaking by with wins, Tyrod will stay in. If you want to see Herbert, root for some losses due to a lackluster offense
                          Perhaps,
                          But never.
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X