• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

I remember watching Sunday night football last season when the Chargers were playing.

During the pregame they were talking about Rivers and his struggles and the beating he was taking.

Chris Collinsworth on national TV comes on and says "historically the Chargers have never been a team that invests in their oline".

I think we saw living proof of that this draft.

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Longwood , FL
      • Manager
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Think our D will be lights out. Protect the ball, force some turnovers and score in the red zone. Yeah, i think we can be a very good team this year.
      SB contender? That’s different from being a “Good” team?

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Longwood , FL
        • Manager
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
        I remember watching Sunday night football last season when the Chargers were playing.

During the pregame they were talking about Rivers and his struggles and the beating he was taking.

Chris Collinsworth on national TV comes on and says "historically the Chargers have never been a team that invests in their oline".

I think we saw living proof of that this draft.
        If Herbert ends up being pretty good, I think we can let it slide this year. Next year I’m screaming for some early OL picks

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AsaFLBoltfan View Post

SB contender? That’s different from being a “Good” team?
          If you make the playoffs you are a SB contender. More than a few WC teams have won the Lombardi. So yes, a SB contender.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            This will be interesting. Not sure what the league has decided about the off season mini-camps and what will happen with training camp. If those are cancelled or shortened it will slow down his chances of getting ready. I would guess Taylor starts the first game and then it will depend on how the season goes. As long as we are in the playoff hunt, it will be hard to put him in. If our defense is dominant and we can run and shorten games, that plays into Taylor's conservative approach and he'll likely remain the starter. If our defense isn't dominant and we have to win shootouts (especially in a division with KC and the Raiders and Broncos loading up on offense), we'll fall out of contention and it would be time to play him.
            That makes sense...... I also think that at some point it would be good if Hebert gets some snaps in at least one or more(if OL is playing better) real games, so that he and the team have some film of his play, good or bad to review and improve on in off season. You can only learn so much in practice. If our OL improves enough that Hebert will not be looking at a jailbreak most downs like Rivers saw last year, then the more games we give Hebert, the better for his future. The more film he and Chargers have from this season will help greatly for next season's prep and Hebert's growth.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I'm pretty serious about having Herbie sit out all season. The right question.. When will Herbert be on the active roster for a game, if at all?

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AsaFLBoltfan View Post

So out of 39 guys you pulled Mahommes out? Laughable, a lot of quality guys started Day 1, secondly don’t think Herbert is Mahommes (but that’s a different conversation). I personally like the Jackson, Watson, Goff route with 6-7 starts.
                No, i was more thinking they had a game managing vet QB in Alex Smith that was winning and he started the last game bc they had locked in.

All of the QBs you mention started because the team was losing, the starter got injured or was playing bad football,or given the job day1. None of them forced a QB whonwas winning games to the bench. I doubt 1 of the 39 did that. Fact is i think we can win games with Tyrod and Herbert won't have to start unless Tyrod gets hurt. u think Reid didn't know Mahomes was special and the better QB? I also did not say Herbert was better or even as good as Mahomes. I am comparing the stuation of vet starter that wins and doesn't turn it over keeping the young kid on the bench year 1.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  I'm pretty serious about having Herbie sit out all season. The right question.. When will Herbert be on the active roster for a game, if at all?
                  Wk 1. Primary backup.

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Longwood , FL
                    • Manager
                    • Send PM

Wk 1. Primary backup.
                    We DEFINITELY agree on this, no way Stick is #2 over Herbert

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                      I feel like Tyrod is going to let it all hang out this year. He ain’t going to let another rookie take his job again. Be good for Herbert to sit and absorb.
                      Tyrod is not that good..... you will start to see that as soon as we play a team that can score more than 13 points......... Tyrod is a safe, solid backup but not a good starter..... in todays NFL, even the best most talented defenses like 49ers, gave up 30 points to Chiefs........

The rules make it nearly impossible to play defense...... there is no such thing as dominating defense anymore..... To be winners Chargers need to start scoring 30+ points per game or as close to that as possible..... scoring less than 20 points per game is what got us our losing record last year.....

Comment

• AsaFLBoltfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Longwood , FL
                        • Manager
                        • Send PM

If you make the playoffs you are a SB contender. More than a few WC teams have won the Lombardi. So yes, a SB contender.
                        I don’t see us as a SB contender, based on QB play alone. Tyrod or Herbert as a rookie could get us in the Playoffs, but not all the way.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Agreed with all these points.

We'll know by 3-4 games to put Herbert in over Taylor. I'll say give it 3-4 games.

Tyrod is going to lose his starting job to Herbert just like he lost it to Baker Mayfield.
                          that was a bad bad bad football team with the worst coach in NFL history. they were out of it before game 1 first q ended. Hence hand it over to Baker.

Comment

Working...
                          X