• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOJAX85
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Irmo, SC
    • Send PM

I am all for people named Pep. Good buddy of mine pitched for the Angels for a bit. Pep Harris.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

I was hoping for Jim Caldwell but I am very good with this hire. I think a very good mentor for Herbert. Allow Steichen to be OC and Sherer/ Hamilton can coach Herbert. Herbert is going to need a lot of reps, a lot of work.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

I always find it interesting how teams like Chargers go about selecting coaches to hire or players to sign.

If I were a GM looking for a good/great option for a trade or a FA player like an OL, I would look at the backups on teams loaded with the best OL's..... sometimes there are really good players on the bench because there are pro bowl or future HOF players stating in front of them.... and teams with the best OL's tend to draft better OL players then most teams.....
        in my logical mind that is logical......

I apply the same logic to finding coaches. Most of the great coaches we all know of and remember learned from another great coach. Walsh. Coryell, Al Davis, and others all learned under the great Sid Gilman ....... and look at all of the great coaches that grew under those greats?..... another great tree is the parcels tree with bellycheat under him.....

We hired hamilton, who has a variety of college and pro experience, but what great coaches or offenses did he learn from... no great ones from what I can tell? The Jets were bad..... the Bears have never really ever had a great offense, ......etc.... if Chargers wanted to hire a good QB coach/OC or whatever, why not hire someone bright who has been learning under a brilliant offensive mind like Reid? or Shaun Peyton?.... or Bellycheat?..... just my thoughts.....

The act of hiring Hamilton says TT does not think they had enough or the right coaches for this new era.... Maybe Hamilton is really smart and aggressive and will help build a high scoring unstoppable offensive machine?..... that can compete with and outscore KC?..... we can only hope....

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
          I always find it interesting how teams like Chargers go about selecting coaches to hire or players to sign.

If I were a GM looking for a good/great option for a trade or a FA player like an OL, I would look at the backups on teams loaded with the best OL's..... sometimes there are really good players on the bench because there are pro bowl or future HOF players stating in front of them.... and teams with the best OL's tend to draft better OL players then most teams.....

I apply the same logic to finding coaches. Most of the great coaches we all know of and remember learned from another great coach. Walsh. Coryell, Al Davis, and others all learned under the great Sid Gilman ....... and look at all of the great coaches that grew under those greats?..... another great tree is the parcels tree with bellycheat under him.....

We hired hamilton, who has a variety of college and pro experience, but what great coaches or offenses did he learn from... no great ones from what I can tell? The Jets were bad..... the Bears have never really ever had a great offense, ......etc.... if Chargers wanted to hire a good QB coach/OC or whatever, why not hire someone bright who has been learning under a brilliant offensive mind like Reid? or Shaun Peyton?.... or Bellycheat?..... just my thoughts.....

The act of hiring Hamilton says TT does not think they had enough or the right coaches for this new era.... Maybe Hamilton is really smart and aggressive and will help build a high scoring unstoppable offensive machine?..... that can compete with and outscore KC?..... we can only hope....
          Something is not like the other. Stay far away from any Belichick tree. But I get what you're saying. Ultimately, the guy is only a QB coach. So I'm not too worried or concerned about the pedigree issue.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
            Humble Chargers Fan
            • May 2017
            • Golden Hill
            • Medical Devices Operations
            • Send PM

I guess Pep will be a better QB coach to Herbert than that other coach was for Happy Gilmore.

Coach For Happy Gilmore.jpg
            "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• Bolt Doc
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • St. Louis, MO
              • Send PM

well he seems to have the resume for the job, but really what this will come down to is his chemistry with Herbert. let's just hope he tries to work with his strengths and not try and turn him into something he is not

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

On the other hand, Pep Hamilton was successful his first two years as the Colts OC:

image.png

image.png
                image.png
                Two years in a row with 11-5 is pretty solid, plus going deep into the playoffs. Then, his last year, Pep hit a bump:

image.png
                In 2015, with the Colts starting the season at 3-5, Pep got fired after week 8. His replacement? Pagano's old Bolt buddy, Chud, who didn't do much better. Colts finished at 8-8.

image.png
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_I...s_Colts_season

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

It should also be noted that Hamilton didn't get much help from Pagano two games before Pep got fired. Look what happened in the Cheatriots game:

image.png

So, either Pagano made the call and later fired Pep because he was the fall guy, or maybe Pep made the call, and Pagano got blamed for it. Who knows?

Last edited by Topcat; 04-30-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Here's a screenshot of Pagano's call, referred to by some as the "Worst playcall in NFL History," on a 4th and 3 from their own 37-yd line, with Colt Anderson, a safety, taking the snap, and the rest of the team in a weird split formation. He was sacked easily, and the Cheatriots went on to win.

image.png

Video link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...horribly-wrong

Comment

• SuperCharged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Utah
                      • Midnight Toker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      Here's a screenshot of Pagano's call, referred to by some as the "Worst playcall in NFL History," on a 4th and 3 from their own 37-yd line, with Colt Anderson, a safety, taking the snap, and the rest of the team in a weird split formation. He was sacked easily, and the Cheatriots went on to win.

image.png

Video link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...horribly-wrong
                      How that made into a playbook let alone a real game is baffling.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
                        I guess Pep will be a better QB coach to Herbert than that other coach was for Happy Gilmore.

Coach For Happy Gilmore.jpg
                        Chubbs was a generational coach and mentor.

Who can ever forget his immortal words it’s all in the hips?
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Scoregon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          It should also be noted that Hamilton didn't get much help from Pagano two games before Pep got fired. Look what happened in the Cheatriots game:

image.png

So, either Pagano made the call and later fired Pep because he was the fall guy, or maybe Pep made the call, and Pagano got blamed for it. Who knows?

Almost certainly that call was Pagano and the horrible design was likely from a special teams coach. I don't think I've ever heard of a fake punt/kick being decision being made by an OC.

Comment

Working...
                          X