• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
    I always find it interesting how teams like Chargers go about selecting coaches to hire or players to sign.

If I were a GM looking for a good/great option for a trade or a FA player like an OL, I would look at the backups on teams loaded with the best OL's..... sometimes there are really good players on the bench because there are pro bowl or future HOF players stating in front of them.... and teams with the best OL's tend to draft better OL players then most teams.....
    in my logical mind that is logical......

I apply the same logic to finding coaches. Most of the great coaches we all know of and remember learned from another great coach. Walsh. Coryell, Al Davis, and others all learned under the great Sid Gilman ....... and look at all of the great coaches that grew under those greats?..... another great tree is the parcels tree with bellycheat under him.....

We hired hamilton, who has a variety of college and pro experience, but what great coaches or offenses did he learn from... no great ones from what I can tell? The Jets were bad..... the Bears have never really ever had a great offense, ......etc.... if Chargers wanted to hire a good QB coach/OC or whatever, why not hire someone bright who has been learning under a brilliant offensive mind like Reid? or Shaun Peyton?.... or Bellycheat?..... just my thoughts.....

The act of hiring Hamilton says TT does not think they had enough or the right coaches for this new era.... Maybe Hamilton is really smart and aggressive and will help build a high scoring unstoppable offensive machine?..... that can compete with and outscore KC?..... we can only hope....
    Since they waited until after the draft to hire him, it almost sounds to me like they waited to see which QB they drafted before hiring the coach they thought would best work with him. I wonder who we might have hired if we had drafted Tua? Or it could be a total coincidence...

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Since they waited until after the draft to hire him, it almost sounds to me like they waited to see which QB they drafted before hiring the coach they thought would best work with him. I wonder who we might have hired if we had drafted Tua? Or it could be a total coincidence...
      Dr Chow maybe?

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

I hope they dont forget about Easton Stick and consider including him in some RPO goaline or short yardage situations.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Daniel Popper provides more details about Pep Hamilton:
          https://theathletic.com/1789588/2020...ce=weeklyemail
          As I reported Wednesday night, the Chargers are hiring Pep Hamilton as their new quarterbacks coach.

He’s bounced around quite a bit in his career, but I don’t really view that as a huge knock against him. NFL coaching is a cold business. Very few guys stick in one spot for a long time. Teams are generally impatient, and after losing seasons, they are looking for someone to pin the blame on. Often times, it’s classic scapegoating. For instance, did Ken Whisenhunt really deserve to be fired last season? Was it his fault that the Chargers lost two starting linemen and couldn’t protect Philip Rivers as a result? I wouldn’t read too much into this part of Hamilton’s resume.

What I would read into, as the question-asker does, is Hamilton’s time with Andrew Luck. Hamilton was Stanford’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach during Luck’s senior season in 2011. Two years later, he followed Luck to Indianapolis, where he spent three seasons — 2013 to 2015 — as the Colts’ offensive coordinator.

Bruce Arians was the OC when Luck was a rookie. Arians took the head-coaching job with Cardinals in 2013, leaving the opening available for Hamilton.

I reached out to our Colts writers, Stephen Holder and Zak Keefer, for additional context on Luck’s years under Hamilton. One thing they pointed out: Arians ran a very aggressive, pass-heavy, push-the-ball-down-the-field offense in Luck’s rookie season. Hamilton opted to create a more balanced offense and take some of the pressure off Luck, whose completion percentage jumped from 54.1 in Year 1 under Arians to 60.2 in Year 2 under Hamilton.

The real leap came in 2014. Luck went from an exciting prospect to one of the best quarterbacks in the game, at least partially thanks to Hamilton’s tutelage. His completion percentage rose again to 61.7. His passing TDs went from 23 to 40. He also set career-highs in rushing yards (377) and rushing yards per attempt (6.0). Hamilton was a rising star at this point, and in January 2015, he interviewed for the Raiders’ head-coaching job. Jack Del Rio ended up getting it.

In 2015, Luck missed half the season with various injuries — a shoulder, then a lacerated kidney and torn abdominal muscle. Hamilton took the fall and was fired in early November after the Colts started 3-5. They finished 8-8 and didn’t make the playoffs.

Something important to note: Hamilton was hired in 2013 by then-general manager Ryan Grigson. He wasn’t head coach Chuck Pagano’s hiring. So there was a bit of a schism on the coaching staff, according to Zak and Stephen. Again, going back to what I wrote above, this primarily is why you can’t look at a firing and assume it’s indicative of a coach’s ability.

Hamilton has a proven record of developing a young QB. Luck happens to embody a lot of the traits Herbert does, in terms of size and athleticism. Obviously Luck was a better prospect coming out of college because his intelligence and processing were off the charts. But the similarities are still there.

I like this hire a lot. And it’s worth mentioning that Herbert’s development will fall on the entire staff, not just Hamilton. Offensive coordinator Shane Steichen and senior offensive assistant Rip Scherer both will be heavily involved in the process.

Comment

• PR#1
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Pep may be in their plans to turn Herbert into the next Andrew Luck.

New Chargers' offensive coordinator, Shane Steichen, is excited to see what Herbert can bring to the table.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Every time I read this thread title, I think of Hamilton giving Herbert a hair cut lol.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Every time I read this thread title, I think of Hamilton giving Herbert a hair cut lol.
                Ha
                I wasn't going to mention it and I'm defI'itely not wanting to make light of it
                but I keep picturing Pep as a sex trafficker and Herbert as an exploited youth.
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I changed the topic title, but realized that Fleet started it. He might re-groom it back, lol.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    Something is not like the other. Stay far away from any Belichick tree. But I get what you're saying. Ultimately, the guy is only a QB coach. So I'm not too worried or concerned about the pedigree issue.
                    Belichick is a defensive genius, so ... you know ...
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      Daniel Popper provides more details about Pep Hamilton:
                      https://theathletic.com/1789588/2020...ce=weeklyemail
                      good read...thx... .. nice to know he actually worked with a great QB and that QB played great at the time.... at some point in his career.....

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Belichick is a defensive genius, so ... you know ...
                        Bellycheat is a great HC because he coaches an aggressive defense AND an aggressive offense..... his goal is to stop teams from scoring and score as many points as possible..... he never lets up just because his team has a lead.....

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Dr Chow maybe?
                          Ouch...

Comment

Working...
                          X