• Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
        RIP Jimmy Buffett - another great American song writer gone. 😢

🍹🍹🍹🍹

Margaritas for Labor Day!
        His death affects me, in that it makes me think about my own mortality. I always felt like he was a good friend, though I never met him. He was just like that. My favorite Buffett song was his first song to chart - Come Monday. I was 17 and a junior in high school in 1974 when it was released. The lyrics spoke to me of a lifestyle that I wanted to live. "I've got my Hushpuppies on..." "I hope you're enjoying the scenery, I know that it's pretty up there." "We can go hiking on Tuesday, with you I'd walk anywhere." The woman he wrote that song about became his wife and remained his wife until the day he died.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
          Let's do this!
          • Aug 2022
          • Raleigh N. Carolina
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

His death affects me, in that it makes me think about my own mortality. I always felt like he was a good friend, though I never met him. He was just like that. My favorite Buffett song was his first song to chart - Come Monday. I was 17 and a junior in high school in 1974 when it was released. The lyrics spoke to me of a lifestyle that I wanted to live. "I've got my Hushpuppies on..." "I hope you're enjoying the scenery, I know that it's pretty up there." "We can go hiking on Tuesday, with you I'd walk anywhere." The woman he wrote that song about became his wife and remained his wife until the day he died.
          Come Monday is one of the greatest love songs ever written. It's a masterpiece.

(Even if as a young Californian it offended me a little) 😆

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

Come Monday is one of the greatest love songs ever written. It's a masterpiece.

(Even if as a young Californian it offended me a little) 😆
            You know, I misunderstood those verses for decades

I heard: "I spent four lonely days just a brownin' in the haze" (which makes no sense I admit) instead of "in a brown LA haze"; and
            I heard: "California has warmed me quite tan." instead of "California has worn me quite thin."

I've read and heard him talk about how he wrote that song. He had been on the road performing the entire summer in 1973 ("rental cars and westbound trains") and was ending his tour in California over Labor Day weekend (exactly 50 years ago!). His girlfriend, soon to be his wife, had gotten tired of the travel and decided to go hiking in Colorado over the long weekend. He found himself alone at the Howard Johnsons in Marin County and wrote "Come Monday." I think it was just the situation he was in, dog tired after a summer of touring and performing and he was alone without his woman. I don't think he was bashing California, though he clearly didn't care for the smog that existed in Los Angeles at the time.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Musicians who die effect me way more than an actor. Movies are cool but im not a movie buff and they just dont move me like music does. I watch more sitcoms than movies.

Id guess most people ar like that. When it comes out a singer /musician has died, it seems way more grief and OMG than for an actor....though some actors get the OMG effect.

For me when Mick Jagger goes, its gonna be a very sad day. Tom Petty was a sad day but not to the way it will be for Jagger.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                Let's do this!
                • Aug 2022
                • Raleigh N. Carolina
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Musicians who die effect me way more than an actor. Movies are cool but im not a movie buff and they just dont move me like music does. I watch more sitcoms than movies.

Id guess most people ar like that. When it comes out a singer /musician has died, it seems way more grief and OMG than for an actor....though some actors get the OMG effect.

For me when Mick Jagger goes, its gonna be a very sad day. Tom Petty was a sad day but not to the way it will be for Jagger.
                When Ian Anderson (Tull) goes, I might need to take a week off and go mourn in the woods.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

R.I.P.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I would say Sting and The Edge from U2 will crush me. Im not much of a U2 fan anymore...but as a kid they were everything to me. Everything after Joshua Tree sort of lost me. But i picked up guitar just to learn how to use a Digital Delay and sound like the edge. lol

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      R.I.P.

Just heard about this. One of my all time crushes as a kid. RIP

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Richard Roundtree died yesterday at age 81. The original Shaft. It's hard to overstate the social impact this movie had in the early '70s. I was 14 in 1971 and remember it well. It was the first time that a black man had a James Bond type of lead in cinema. Bad a** in charge, in control, smart than everyone else, badder than every one else, irresistible to women. The original went places cinema rarely dared to venture before - a black man with a white woman lover. There were many copycats - the Blaxploitation era in cinema that led to stereotyping - but none of them topped the original Shaft. In the 21st century sequels Samuel L. Jackson plays the nephew of the original, Richard Roundtree was in both movies as the original.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

R.I.P. Matthew Perry, 54, from "Friends" Was found in his Jacuzzi, possible accidental drowning.

Also, R.I.P. Richard Moll, 80, who played Bailiff Bull Shannon on "Night Court".

Just thinking, sitcoms of the past seemed funnier. Thanks for the laughs from "Chrissy", "Chandler", and "Bull"

Comment

Working...
                          X