• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Philip Rivers in no rush for a new contract

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 6, 2019, 3:57 PM EDT
    Getty Images

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers says he doesn't need a new contract.

Rivers, who is heading into the final year of his current deal, said today that he appreciates it if the Chargers re-sign him but he'd be content with playing the 2019 season and then heading into free agency in 10 months.

"I'm thankful for that if that opportunity comes, but I'm fine right where we are," Rivers said. "I'm under no immediate stress or urgency to get this done. If that means playing it out, that will be fine. It really will."

Rivers isn't asking for any kind of long-term commitment.

"I'd be fine with it and we could look at it again in the early spring if that in fact is how it plays out," Rivers said. "I really have no goal, or see it playing a certain way. I really don't. I'm very at peace with where it is right now. I'm under contract this season and I'm excited for this team and our opportunities."

The 37-year-old Rivers, who has a cap hit this year of $23 million, said that he isn't sure how many years he has left in him, but he said he doesn't think this will be his last season, nor does he think he could play until he's 45 years old. So figure Rivers has somewhere between two and seven more years to play.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Interesting info from Breer about how Ben got his contract done. Also, I didn't realize that it might be cheaper to franchise tag Rivers for a year. I wonder if he would actually be cool with that. Because if he really only see 2020, then it might be the most prudent move.
        Digging into the details of Big Ben’s contract, which provides some insight on where other quarterback contracts stand heading into 2019. Also, answering your questions on playoff potential for the Seahawks and the Chargers, the best fit for Ndamukong Suh and much more.

Philip Rivers

Minimum franchise number: $27.6 million
        Cost of two tags: $60.72 million

The skinny: Rivers said Monday he's comfortable going year-to-year contractually. What does that mean? Last summer I asked Rivers about Brady's desire to play until he's 45, and Rivers told me--"Y'all can have that. I have no desire to get there." But I'm told the Chargers are comfortable that Rivers will play this year and next year. After that? There's less certainty. But there's no questioning Rivers's passion for football (see: his commute), and so it's possible he keeps going beyond '20. Which leaves a relatively affordable tag as an option next year for a team in a title window. At any rate, two sources said the team and player's camp agreed months ago to table talks until after the draft, so discussions are still at a very early stage.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Sportrac lists his market value @$31m

eye like the idea of tagging him for the 2020 season.
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Rivers has every intention of being the QB here in 2020:

Listen to Sports Diego 760 for local sports coverage. Featuring Rich "Big Rich" Ohrnberger, TD and Fletch" 6-9am, Colin Cowherd 9am-Noon, The Darren Smith Show Noon-3pm, and Jon Schaeffer and Jim Russell 3-6pm. XTRA 1360 is the official broadcast station of the SDSU Aztecs and the San Diego Gulls.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

If Rivers is cool with Ftag money, I hope both sides can agree to turn it into a contract, it would be embarrassing imo to have our franchise qb and leader on an Ftag

just saying
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Philip Rivers isn't at all worried about his contract status with Chargers

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on May 10, 2019, 1:38 AM EDT
                Getty Images

When it comes to a possible contract extension with the Los Angeles Chargers, Philip Rivers may be the least worried party involved.

In an interview with former teammate Nick Hardwick and Jon Schaeffer on XTRA 1360 in San Diego, Rivers didn't seem the slightest bit concerned about where his contract sits with the Chargers. If he gets an extension or if he doesn't, Rivers still fully plans to be the team's quarterback for a while longer.

"I just feel at peace," Rivers said. "If the extension is what works best for both of us and that's how it plays out, then great. If not, shoot, let's go have a heck of a 2019 and then we'll worry about 2020 when we need to worry about it. I say that with every intention of being the quarterback in 2020 here. It's not for any reason other than, hey, I signed up for this many years and this year is the last year running and let's go if that's what's best. I really do feel at peace about it and feel good."

Rivers is set to earn $11 million in the final year of his contract with the Chargers this fall. The team fully plans on Rivers being their quarterback beyond 2019 and Rivers seems to be pretty confident in that possibility as well. With both sides clearly wanting the same thing, it would seem as though discussions shouldn't be all that problematic for a deal to be struck, either now or after the deal elapses after this season.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  If Rivers is cool with Ftag money, I hope both sides can agree to turn it into a contract, it would be embarrassing imo to have our franchise qb and leader on an Ftag

just saying
                  Not embarrassing if Rivers is ok with it. Sounds like he is but we'll see.
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I love 17 haha
                    Attached Files
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• chargers1316
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      I love 17 haha
                      The best!

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

The Bolts need to sign Rivers this year to move the cap hit to this year. We have too many good players coming up to let Rivers' money slide into next year.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X