• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Hate to be so obtuse but imo we are absolutely pigeonholed into selecting an OT first round.
    there is no scheme around it, our only true OT is Bulaga who will be on the roster simply because his contract isn’t worth cutting but TT can’t depend on him
    either way, we have a bunch of guards imo disguised as OTs and it is too great a need to depend on a 3rd tier prospect to start immediately, and that’s what you’re likely getting in a trade back into the first.
    we can scheme around CB, DL, TE etc but you can’t ask 3 skill players to get open immediately, if so maybe we can bypass the Oline all together!
    it would be downright irresponsible to come away day 1 of the draft without an expected starter at LOT
    I felt the same about QB to a lesser extend last year and as much as I was sold on Simmons, I never realistically expected anyone other than Tua, Herbert (or Love if TT really lost his mind ha)
    this year, the FA pool sucks at OT (barring an incredible cut from one of these teams way over the cap)

My argument against the whole “BPA vs PON” is that we all agree (to varying degrees) that the draft is a crapshoot, so why so we take such rankings so seriously?
    I mean if the gap is extremely huge okay, of course, I get it, but when you have such a glaring PON, you have to bite the bullet but pay up.
    and imho the PON is absolutely glaring, Tevi is a liability out there.
    Not only is OT a huge need, but in reading a lot of the drafnik evaluations, most of the OT's are projected to either start at RT or slide inside to G. There are very few plug and play LT's on just about any board, so we better snap one up at #13, or have to settle for second rate leftovers...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Hate to be so obtuse but imo we are absolutely pigeonholed into selecting an OT first round.
      there is no scheme around it, our only true OT is Bulaga who will be on the roster simply because his contract isn’t worth cutting but TT can’t depend on him
      either way, we have a bunch of guards imo disguised as OTs and it is too great a need to depend on a 3rd tier prospect to start immediately, and that’s what you’re likely getting in a trade back into the first.
      we can scheme around CB, DL, TE etc but you can’t ask 3 skill players to get open immediately, if so maybe we can bypass the Oline all together!
      it would be downright irresponsible to come away day 1 of the draft without an expected starter at LOT
      I felt the same about QB to a lesser extend last year and as much as I was sold on Simmons, I never realistically expected anyone other than Tua, Herbert (or Love if TT really lost his mind ha)
      this year, the FA pool sucks at OT (barring an incredible cut from one of these teams way over the cap)

My argument against the whole “BPA vs PON” is that we all agree (to varying degrees) that the draft is a crapshoot, so why so we take such rankings so seriously?
      I mean if the gap is extremely huge okay, of course, I get it, but when you have such a glaring PON, you have to bite the bullet but pay up.
      and imho the PON is absolutely glaring, Tevi is a liability out there.

Quote for Truth!

As I said in another thread - with the lower salary cap - and maybe lesser in the first round - but teams are going to have to fill needs in the draft. Like the Saints and Eagles - no other way around it. They don't have the cap space

But I too think the Chargers need to fill needs in the draft. And if Slater is there as a true Left OT - take him. My guess, there are pass rushers - maybe not unique like Parsons - but with some ability down the road in the draft.

The only player that might be released is Armstead from the Saints - but not sure I still wouldn't go with a Slater at 13.

This offseason is going to be different and I think the team that has a strategy (focused but patient) can do really well, But it might take time - sifting through players released, normal free agents, the draft and post free agency. Chargers need not be desperate and foolish.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It comes down to what the team thinks of the players available.

Slater seems like he’s the best OLT not named Sewell, followed by Darrisaw. I’d be happy with Slater at 13, and probably even Darrisaw at 13.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Tucker is shooting up boards too

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Theres always trade possibilities with teams well over the cap. Like Nawlins and now we have Lombardi with perhaps so inside info.
            I don’t think it’s realistic, teams just don’t trade good OTs, unless you give up the farm for a Tunsil
            which is what I wouldn’t mind seeing for Sewell
            we have a chance to go from glaring PON to elite strength
            If he drops to Detroit at 7 our second rounder should suffice
            we traded our 2nd and third for a LB last year, this isn’t crazy.
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
              It comes down to what the team thinks of the players available.

Slater seems like he’s the best OLT not named Sewell, followed by Darrisaw. I’d be happy with Slater at 13, and probably even Darrisaw at 13.
              None of which are sure to be there.
              We may have to trade up for even these guys, forget Sewell
              do we really want to gamble?
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Draft needs From PFF

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE, TIGHT END, INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE

One of the great constants in life is the Chargers being in need of offensive line help. That remains true with a young quarterback in 2021, but their biggest need might be inside on the defensive line. Linval Joseph isn’t the player he once was, even against the run (64.0 PFF grade in 2020), while Jerry Tillery has been a disappointment since entering the league, notching just 45 total pressures across more than 650 pass-rushing snaps in his short NFL career. The Chargers need to add an impact playmaker to that defensive interior to maintain the strength they have in the front seven.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Jerry Tillery has a “prove you’re not a bust “ year coming up.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    Draft needs From PFF

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE, TIGHT END, INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE

One of the great constants in life is the Chargers being in need of offensive line help. That remains true with a young quarterback in 2021, but their biggest need might be inside on the defensive line. Linval Joseph isn’t the player he once was, even against the run (64.0 PFF grade in 2020), while Jerry Tillery has been a disappointment since entering the league, notching just 45 total pressures across more than 650 pass-rushing snaps in his short NFL career. The Chargers need to add an impact playmaker to that defensive interior to maintain the strength they have in the front seven.
                    two out of three ain't bad

OT -- Edge - IOL - CB - IDL

my order

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      Draft needs From PFF

Re Sign HH and maybe Green....TE isnt a need.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not only is OT a huge need, but in reading a lot of the drafnik evaluations, most of the OT's are projected to either start at RT or slide inside to G. There are very few plug and play LT's on just about any board, so we better snap one up at #13, or have to settle for second rate leftovers...
                        Bold1: absolutely!!

Bold2: Precisely! Which would be inexcusable. Are we willing to gamble Herbert’s health on a “second rate leftover”? Isn’t it wiser to ask our defensive genius of a HC to make do with whatever picks are left?
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Bold1: absolutely!!

Bold2: Precisely! Which would be inexcusable. Are we willing to gamble Herbert’s health on a “second rate leftover”? Isn’t it wiser to ask our defensive genius of a HC to make do with whatever picks are left?
                          Yep...tired of kicking the OT can down the road another year...#13 overall is a very nice slot for several solid OT prospects, but the dropoff by round 2 could be considerable...I say go OT in round 1, defense in round 2, then the best of O-line or D in round 3, but by round 4, I want ANOTHER O-lineman!!!

P.S.: I do NOT want to see Turnstile Tevi starting at LT next season!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X