• Southern Oregon
    • Send PM

No trades this time

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

I've been doing some more digging around draft prospects and I'm more and more convinced that Cosmi should be the pick for us. It may be a very slight reach but he's definitely not going to last until our 2nd round pick and will likely go somewhere in the mid to late 1st anyway. But for whatever reason, I don't think Telesco has ever traded back in the 1st round during his tenure here so I don't see that changing now but who knows.

He's plug and play guy imo and I love that he improved every season. Kiper had him as the 2nd best tackle behind only Sewell and at #10 on his big board just 2 months ago after he declared for the draft. Kiper and McShay all of a sudden this week had some doubts about him even though absolutely nothing has changed between the excerpt below and now.

Cosmi, a three-year starter for the Longhorns, is No. 10 on Mel Kiper's Big Board for the 2021 NFL draft. Kiper ranks Cosmi as the No. 2 draft-eligible tackle, behind Oregon's Penei Sewell, who opted out before the season.

Texas' Samuel Cosmi, considered the No. 2 draft-eligible offensive tackle for the 2021 NFL draft, is opting out of the rest of the 2020 season, a source confirmed to ESPN.
      And current Chargers LB Malik Jefferson is a fan as well

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
        I've been doing some more digging around draft prospects and I'm more and more convinced that Cosmi should be the pick for us. It may be a very slight reach but he's definitely not going to last until our 2nd round pick and will likely go somewhere in the mid to late 1st anyway. But for whatever reason, I don't think Telesco has ever traded back in the 1st round during his tenure here so I don't see that changing now but who knows.

He's plug and play guy imo and I love that he improved every season. Kiper had him as the 2nd best tackle behind only Sewell and at #10 on his big board just 2 months ago after he declared for the draft. Kiper and McShay all of a sudden this week had some doubts about him even though absolutely nothing has changed between the excerpt below and now.

I like Cosmi too, he’s athletic and strong.
        needs some technical refinement but it doesn’t take a genius to coach that and we have a genius
        starting caliber LOT (with plan B as starting ROT) and we simply don’t have one and need one
        Not to be lazy but the first round is pretty straight forward to me, come away with the best LOT you can and there are only a few at play POTENTIALLY
        COSMI, Darrisaw and MAYBE Slater
        not interested in taking second round/late first round trade ups risks like a leatherwood
        We simply screwed our chances to have a shot at Sewell and I pray we seize the opportunity to trade up for a generational talent at our greatest PON going on a decade
        upon waking up from that dream, yes I will absolutely love Cosmi at 13
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I like Cosmi too, he’s athletic and strong.
          needs some technical refinement but it doesn’t take a genius to coach that and we have a genius
          starting caliber LOT (with plan B as starting ROT) and we simply don’t have one and need one
          Not to be lazy but the first round is pretty straight forward to me, come away with the best LOT you can and there are only a few at play POTENTIALLY
          COSMI, Darrisaw and MAYBE Slater
          not interested in taking second round/late first round trade ups risks like a leatherwood
          We simply screwed our chances to have a shot at Sewell and I pray we seize the opportunity to trade up for a generational talent at our greatest PON going on a decade
          upon waking up from that dream, yes I will absolutely love Cosmi at 13
          Interesting the different opinions on the OTs. I think most everyone agrees Sewell is 1. But I was under the impression that everyone else was 2a, 2b, 2c or 2d. Jeremiah has Slater coming off the board before Sewell & the others Darrisaw, Cosmi & AVT seem to be closing the gap. ON PAPER ii sounds like we should certainly get Herbert's long term protector. However, ON PAPER the right side of the line this year should have been a strength. I've always had the mindset to take the best player on your board regardless of need. So if I can get the #1 guy at his position, I'd normally take him before the #2 PON. That being said, if these OTs are indeed that close to Sewell, snag whomever you have the most confidence in. The football Gods have given us a gift in Herbert. Let's make sure the kid lasts.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

Interesting the different opinions on the OTs. I think most everyone agrees Sewell is 1. But I was under the impression that everyone else was 2a, 2b, 2c or 2d. Jeremiah has Slater coming off the board before Sewell & the others Darrisaw, Cosmi & AVT seem to be closing the gap. ON PAPER ii sounds like we should certainly get Herbert's long term protector. However, ON PAPER the right side of the line this year should have been a strength. I've always had the mindset to take the best player on your board regardless of need. So if I can get the #1 guy at his position, I'd normally take him before the #2 PON. That being said, if these OTs are indeed that close to Sewell, snag whomever you have the most confidence in. The football Gods have given us a gift in Herbert. Let's make sure the kid lasts.
            This is truly where - and I would hope that Telesco met with Pat Meyer, James Campen, COach Lynn to figure out the best OL for the system - but again, Telesco here is your chance : meet with Staley, Lombardi, Frank Smith, et al and figure the best player for the Chargers. AVT might rate higher than Cosmi for one team and Cosmi for another. Unless the player is Quenton Nelson who would be good on any team - this is where the scouting, coaching need to come together. Just not a mishmash of players - but get a damn unit

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Interesting that Kiper has Cosmi ranked as #2 OT, yet Jeremiah, whom I respect a lot, doesn't even have Cosmi listed in his top 50. He has Slater, Sewell, AVT, Mayfield, Darrishaw, even lesser-known players like Jenkins and Hudson listed, but no Cosmi. Wonder why.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Certainly if Parsons isn't there( I can't imagine???) we have to take a T, right?
                I'd be surprised if Staley and his football staff aren't going through our roster with a fine tooth comb at this very moment, determining what scheme is best, going forward, for the personnel we currently have. Then deciding on positions of need( obviously OL will be a GLARING weakness) and building our wish list accordingly.
                While you can't make over an entire roster in one off season, there is no reason not to plug 4 or 5 holes, through the draft and FA, that can totally flip our record and put us on the right course.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I don't think Telesco has ever traded back in the 1st round during his tenure here so I don't see that changing now but who knows.
                  Kenneth Murray was a trade back into the first round. If we want Cosmi, either trade back from 13 or trade up from 47 into the 20s. Always gotta consider value of where you’re taking a guy.

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by pigskin View Post
                    No trades this time
                    No trades and to end up with Slater, Basham, and Little would be awesome.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Hate to be so obtuse but imo we are absolutely pigeonholed into selecting an OT first round.
                      there is no scheme around it, our only true OT is Bulaga who will be on the roster simply because his contract isn’t worth cutting but TT can’t depend on him
                      either way, we have a bunch of guards imo disguised as OTs and it is too great a need to depend on a 3rd tier prospect to start immediately, and that’s what you’re likely getting in a trade back into the first.
                      we can scheme around CB, DL, TE etc but you can’t ask 3 skill players to get open immediately, if so maybe we can bypass the Oline all together!
                      it would be downright irresponsible to come away day 1 of the draft without an expected starter at LOT
                      I felt the same about QB to a lesser extend last year and as much as I was sold on Simmons, I never realistically expected anyone other than Tua, Herbert (or Love if TT really lost his mind ha)
                      this year, the FA pool sucks at OT (barring an incredible cut from one of these teams way over the cap)

My argument against the whole “BPA vs PON” is that we all agree (to varying degrees) that the draft is a crapshoot, so why do we take such rankings so seriously?
                      I mean if the gap is extremely huge okay, of course, I get it, but when you have such a glaring PON, you have to bite the bullet and pay up.
                      and imho the PON is absolutely glaring, Tevi is a liability out there.
                      Last edited by 21&500; 01-27-2021, 10:02 AM.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting that Kiper has Cosmi ranked as #2 OT, yet Jeremiah, whom I respect a lot, doesn't even have Cosmi listed in his top 50. He has Slater, Sewell, AVT, Mayfield, Darrishaw, even lesser-known players like Jenkins and Hudson listed, but no Cosmi. Wonder why.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...t-rankings-1-0
                        I like Cosmi but i dont read anything that Kiper or McShay put out. Those two imo are just not very good considering the contacts they have. I havent seen DJ's top 50 so am surprised he dont have Cosmi in it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          Hate to be so obtuse but imo we are absolutely pigeonholed into selecting an OT first round.
                          there is no scheme around it, our only true OT is Bulaga who will be on the roster simply because his contract isn’t worth cutting but TT can’t depend on him
                          either way, we have a bunch of guards imo disguised as OTs and it is too great a need to depend on a 3rd tier prospect to start immediately, and that’s what you’re likely getting in a trade back into the first.
                          we can scheme around CB, DL, TE etc but you can’t ask 3 skill players to get open immediately, if so maybe we can bypass the Oline all together!
                          it would be downright irresponsible to come away day 1 of the draft without an expected starter at LOT
                          I felt the same about QB to a lesser extend last year and as much as I was sold on Simmons, I never realistically expected anyone other than Tua, Herbert (or Love if TT really lost his mind ha)
                          this year, the FA pool sucks at OT (barring an incredible cut from one of these teams way over the cap)

My argument against the whole “BPA vs PON” is that we all agree (to varying degrees) that the draft is a crapshoot, so why so we take such rankings so seriously?
                          I mean if the gap is extremely huge okay, of course, I get it, but when you have such a glaring PON, you have to bite the bullet but pay up.
                          and imho the PON is absolutely glaring, Tevi is a liability out there.
                          Theres always trade possibilities with teams well over the cap. Like Nawlins and now we have Lombardi with perhaps so inside info.

Comment

Working...
                          X