• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

It took TT to make us all realize the value if an offensive line.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

I'll throw in my $0.02 on Najee Harris.

Let me start out by saying I think he's a great back and will be a really good NFL player. I would not touch him with the 13th pick. I don't think I'd take him with our second rounder, either. Here's why:

1. As others have pointed out, LT wouldn't be able to make much behind this OL. We need to fix it to enhance what we already have.
      2. I don't think this team needs another HR hitter out of the backfield. It's a total luxury. We need to find a back who can get the tough yards up the gut. We have Ekeler and he is a dynamic playmaker. Another would be nice, but when we have so many holes, it's just a little redundant.

Now comes the crux of my argument. There are 2 reasons why draft picks are valuable. The first is just getting talent into the organization. Harris would check that box. But the second is equally as important, if not more important, the talent is cheap. There are other ways to bring talent into the locker room; FA and trades. Drafting is better because it's cheaper and thus, more efficient. The 13th pick in the draft will have about a $3.7 million cap hit. That's equal to about the 15th highest paid RB in the league. It would be the equivalent of the 27th highest paid tackle. It's way more expensive to bring in talent at OT than it is at RB. You can also bet that with the cap going down RBs will be among the first cuts. There will be talented vets we can bring in. I don't think the same will be true of tackles. I won't even really get deep into how badly a lot of second contracts go for the top RBs and how we could be looking at that with Harris if he's as good as people think he could be.

Basically, if Harris isn't a top 5 RB in the NFL you aren't getting much of a discount and if he ends up being middle of the road, like his pay would be, you run into a Mike Williams/Melvin Gordon problem by year 5. And if he is, you run into a Gurley or Elliot problem in year 5 or 6.

​​
      Last edited by eaterfan; 02-14-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

TT not draftin any o linemen last go around shoulda been a firable offense.
        I wouldn't go that far. He hit it out of the park with Herbert. Traded for a young, former Pro Bowl OG, aging starting OT. ... who didn't play well or much.
        We can hope that Staley & co will have a positive influence on FA and draft OL. Somebody needs to.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post
          I'll throw in my $0.02 on Najee Harris.

Let me start out by saying I think he's a great back and will be a really good NFL player. I would not touch him with the 13th pick. I don't think I'd take him with our second rounder, either. Here's why:

1. As others have pointed out, LT wouldn't be able to make much behind this OL. We need to fix it to enhance what we already have.
          2. I don't think this team needs another HR hitter out of the backfield. It's a total luxury. We need to find a back who can get the tough yards up the gut. We have Ekeler and he is a dynamic playmaker. Another would be nice, but when we have so many holes, it's just a little redundant.

Now comes the crux of my argument. There are 2 reasons why draft picks are valuable. The first is just getting talent into the organization. Harris would check that box. But the second is equally as important, if not more important, the talent is cheap. There are other ways to bring talent into the locker room; FA and trades. Drafting is better because it's cheaper and thus, more efficient. The 13th pick in the draft will have about a $3.7 million cap hit. That's equal to about the 15th highest paid RB in the league. It would be the equivalent of the 27th highest paid tackle. It's way more expensive to bring in talent at OT than it is at RB. You can also bet that with the cap going down RBs will be among the first cuts. There will be talented vets we can bring in. I don't think the same will be true of tackles. I won't even really get deep into how badly a lot of second contracts go for the top RBs and how we could be looking at that with Harris if he's as good as people think he could be.

Basically, if Harris isn't a top 5 RB in the NFL you aren't getting much of a discount and if he ends up being middle of the road, like his pay would be, you run into a Mike Williams/Melvin Gordon problem by year 5. And if he is, you run into a Gurley or Elliot problem in year 5 or 6.

​​
          ^ This...excellent points, Eater...

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Not sure if posted. I mentioned it last night on twitter.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              Not sure if posted. I mentioned it last night on twitter.

Good prospect
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Harris @#13 is a luxury pick. Imagine you have a car that's getting kind of old...still runs, but the tires and brakes need to be replaced...fixing our O-line is like doing basic maintenance on your car--rotating and/or replacing tires and brakes when needed, changing oil, etc. Drafting a shiny new toy like Harris or Pitts would be like splurging on a new paint job with some fancy airbrushed art...might make the car look real nice, but don't really need it when the tires need replacing...FIX THE O-LINE, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
                Harris @#13 is/was the hot model type you just met at the bar that your are going to take back home; you just need your car to make the journey back without breaking down.. Give it some polish (the fancy airbrush will go a long ways), inflate those tires, put in some gas and you are going to score big time.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Are we signin' Cam
                  or rollin' with Sam ?

My editors want some meat.
                  Neither. Cam would have been a fine dratee in our old system (older QB in need of a run blocking OT). Now that JH (along with Lombardi) is here... pass blocker should be target. Please no more Sam.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Harris @#13 is/was the hot model type you just met at the bar that your are going to take back home; you just need your car to make the journey back without breaking down.. Give it some polish (the fancy airbrush will go a long ways), inflate those tires, put in some gas and you are going to score big time.
                    Watch out for some of those hot models at bars...u could end up with buyer's remorse...

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You were an OL in your day? No wonder you go OL heavy all the time lol.
                      No, played WR, CB, RB, and TE.
                      Learned how to block as a TE. Learned how to follow my blockers as a RB. L:earned I was a much better CB when my DL was better. Learned I'd better run shorter, precise routes when my OL sucked. My senior year was quite the education. Started the year out as a RB (after playing WR the years before). Our RB's had all graduated the year before and the best remaining RB injured his knee in preseason... I was an emergency decision. But I learned to follow my All-league center on counter runs and QB option/dives... very similar to what I thought the Chargers would be doing with Taylor/Herbert/Kelly last year. However, we had deficiencies at other positions along the OL. We went to more of a power-run (bigger RB) philosophy 2 games in and I returned to WR (thank gawd). Problem was our pass blocking was so lacking that our offense became un-balanced (run heavy) and they actually moved me inside to TE for blocking purposes (my frequent condolences to HH). We became a great running team (undefeated with 2 games to go). But we lost to an inferior team when they realized they could bring their ILB up and shoot the B-gaps. Once we couldn't run, we didn't have the pass blockers to adjust. Lost the last 2 games of the season and chance to play for a championship.

Later as a coach, I only found one instance of a superstar RB that needed no quality OL to defeat us. Some kid named Rashaan Salaam we just couldn't stop...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No, played WR, CB, RB, and TE.
                        Learned how to block as a TE. Learned how to follow my blockers as a RB. L:earned I was a much better CB when my DL was better. Learned I'd better run shorter, precise routes when my OL sucked. My senior year was quite the education. Started the year out as a RB (after playing WR the years before). Our RB's had all graduated the year before and the best remaining RB injured his knee in preseason... I was an emergency decision. But I learned to follow my All-league center on counter runs and QB option/dives... very similar to what I thought the Chargers would be doing with Taylor/Herbert/Kelly last year. However, we had deficiencies at other positions along the OL. We went to more of a power-run (bigger RB) philosophy 2 games in and I returned to WR (thank gawd). Problem was our pass blocking was so lacking that our offense became un-balanced (run heavy) and they actually moved me inside to TE for blocking purposes (my frequent condolences to HH). We became a great running team (undefeated with 2 games to go). But we lost to an inferior team when they realized they could bring their ILB up and shoot the B-gaps. Once we couldn't run, we didn't have the pass blockers to adjust. Lost the last 2 games of the season and chance to play for a championship.

Later as a coach, I only found one instance of a superstar RB that needed no quality OL to defeat us. Some kid named Rashaan Salaam we just couldn't stop...
                        Wow, Rashaan Salaam...Heisman trophy winner in 1994...had a great rookie season with the Bears, rushed for over 1,000 yds., then downhill after that...tragically died at only 42...

salaam.JPG

Salaam was born in San Diego, California,[2] the son of former Cincinnati Bengals running back Teddy Washington (later Sulton Salaam, after converting to Islam).[3] He was a practicing Muslim.[4] He attended La Jolla Country Day School in suburban San Diego,[5] and played eight-man football. He ran for over 100 yards in every game except one, and was recognized as a high school All-American. He was later inducted into the school's athletic hall of fame.[6]

Salaam attended the University of Colorado, where he played for the Colorado Buffaloes football team from 1992 to 1994. As a junior in 1994, Salaam had one of the best individual seasons in college football history, rushing for a school-record 2,055 yards and becoming only the fourth college running back to run for more than 2,000 yards in a season. He also amassed 24 touchdowns and helped lead Colorado to an 11–1 record, including a 41–24 win over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl, and a No. 3 finish in the final Associated Press Poll. The Buffaloes' only loss of the season was to the Big Eight Conference rival Nebraska Cornhuskers, which finished undefeated and ranked No. 1 in both the Associated Press and United Press International polls at season's end. Salaam had four consecutive 200-yard rushing games during the season, his best effort coming against the Texas Longhorns, when he set a school record with 362 yards total offense in a 34–31 Colorado win in Austin. He was a unanimous first-team All-American and winner of the Heisman Trophy in December, beating out running back Ki-Jana Carter of Penn State and quarterbacks Steve McNair of Alcorn State and Kerry Collins of Penn State.[7] Salaam also won the Walter Camp Award and Doak Walker Award.[8][9][1]

The Chicago Bears selected Salaam in the first round, with the 21st overall selection, of the 1995 NFL Draft.[10][11] He played for the Bears from 1995 to 1997.[2] As a rookie, he rushed for 1,074 yards and scored 10 touchdowns.[10][12] However, he also lost 9 fumbles and averaged just 3.6 yards per carry. Problems with injuries, fumbles, and marijuana use[13] led him to spend only three years with the Bears. During his two final years with Chicago, Salaam mustered only 608 combined yards.[14] The Bears traded Salaam to the Miami Dolphins before the 1998 season, but the trade was undone when Salaam failed a physical examination with Miami.[15][1] Salaam spent 1999 with the Cleveland Browns and the Green Bay Packers, but only played in two games for the Browns that year.[12]

Salaam briefly played in the XFL for the Memphis Maniax in 2001,[16] but injury cut his season short and the league folded after one season. He finished the year with 528 yards gained.[17]

Salaam launched what appeared to be a final attempt at an NFL career in 2002, beginning with a much publicized training at the Cris Carter Speed School.[18] He was picked up by the San Francisco 49ers in 2003 but subsequently let go in August, in the second-to-last round of cuts, despite receiving accolades from then 49ers head coach Dennis Erickson.[19]

Salaam was signed by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL) on February 20, 2004. He was then suspended by the Argos in May, effectively ending his career.[20]

Death
                        Salaam was found dead on December 5, 2016, in a park in Boulder, Colorado. An autopsy was performed because authorities found a note near the body and were investigating it as a possible suicide.[20][21]

On December 29, it was confirmed that the manner of death was suicide, specifically a gunshot wound to the head, in a report released by the Boulder County coroner's office.[22] Salaam's blood-alcohol content was reportedly three times the legal driving limit and he had THC in his system.[23][1]

Salaam’s family did not consent to neuropathological tests that would have revealed whether he had previously sustained chronic head trauma, such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy. They declined[24] to have his brain tested to determine whether his depression[1] had been linked to such injuries from his days as a player.[25]

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, Rashaan Salaam...Heisman trophy winner in 1994...had a great rookie season with the Bears, rushed for over 1,000 yds., then downhill after that...tragically died at only 42...

salaam.JPG

Salaam was born in San Diego, California,[2] the son of former Cincinnati Bengals running back Teddy Washington (later Sulton Salaam, after converting to Islam).[3] He was a practicing Muslim.[4] He attended La Jolla Country Day School in suburban San Diego,[5] and played eight-man football. He ran for over 100 yards in every game except one, and was recognized as a high school All-American. He was later inducted into the school's athletic hall of fame.[6]

Salaam attended the University of Colorado, where he played for the Colorado Buffaloes football team from 1992 to 1994. As a junior in 1994, Salaam had one of the best individual seasons in college football history, rushing for a school-record 2,055 yards and becoming only the fourth college running back to run for more than 2,000 yards in a season. He also amassed 24 touchdowns and helped lead Colorado to an 11–1 record, including a 41–24 win over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl, and a No. 3 finish in the final Associated Press Poll. The Buffaloes' only loss of the season was to the Big Eight Conference rival Nebraska Cornhuskers, which finished undefeated and ranked No. 1 in both the Associated Press and United Press International polls at season's end. Salaam had four consecutive 200-yard rushing games during the season, his best effort coming against the Texas Longhorns, when he set a school record with 362 yards total offense in a 34–31 Colorado win in Austin. He was a unanimous first-team All-American and winner of the Heisman Trophy in December, beating out running back Ki-Jana Carter of Penn State and quarterbacks Steve McNair of Alcorn State and Kerry Collins of Penn State.[7] Salaam also won the Walter Camp Award and Doak Walker Award.[8][9][1]

The Chicago Bears selected Salaam in the first round, with the 21st overall selection, of the 1995 NFL Draft.[10][11] He played for the Bears from 1995 to 1997.[2] As a rookie, he rushed for 1,074 yards and scored 10 touchdowns.[10][12] However, he also lost 9 fumbles and averaged just 3.6 yards per carry. Problems with injuries, fumbles, and marijuana use[13] led him to spend only three years with the Bears. During his two final years with Chicago, Salaam mustered only 608 combined yards.[14] The Bears traded Salaam to the Miami Dolphins before the 1998 season, but the trade was undone when Salaam failed a physical examination with Miami.[15][1] Salaam spent 1999 with the Cleveland Browns and the Green Bay Packers, but only played in two games for the Browns that year.[12]

Salaam briefly played in the XFL for the Memphis Maniax in 2001,[16] but injury cut his season short and the league folded after one season. He finished the year with 528 yards gained.[17]

Salaam launched what appeared to be a final attempt at an NFL career in 2002, beginning with a much publicized training at the Cris Carter Speed School.[18] He was picked up by the San Francisco 49ers in 2003 but subsequently let go in August, in the second-to-last round of cuts, despite receiving accolades from then 49ers head coach Dennis Erickson.[19]

Salaam was signed by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL) on February 20, 2004. He was then suspended by the Argos in May, effectively ending his career.[20]

Death
                          Salaam was found dead on December 5, 2016, in a park in Boulder, Colorado. An autopsy was performed because authorities found a note near the body and were investigating it as a possible suicide.[20][21]

On December 29, it was confirmed that the manner of death was suicide, specifically a gunshot wound to the head, in a report released by the Boulder County coroner's office.[22] Salaam's blood-alcohol content was reportedly three times the legal driving limit and he had THC in his system.[23][1]

Salaam’s family did not consent to neuropathological tests that would have revealed whether he had previously sustained chronic head trauma, such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy. They declined[24] to have his brain tested to determine whether his depression[1] had been linked to such injuries from his days as a player.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashaan_Salaam
                          Another sad ending to an athlete’s life.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X