• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, Perryman isn't strong in coverage, Murray isn't strong in coverage, and the only glimmer of hope is that Staley and future DC coaches him up to cover better...and who knows how long that will take? That still leaves a big hole we have for a good coverage LB...and if Staley runs the Cover-4 D or some variation thereof, we will need a cover MLB in the zone...so we're back to drafting a good cover LB or finding one in FA...
    Excellent points, TC! I think Murray jr. takes over Perryman's role @ILB. Which means Chargers gotta be looking at a good coverage LB in the draft. A Lavonte David-type LB. I like Zaven Collins in the 1st or Monte Rice in the 3rd.

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

So are we giving up on Dru being our coverage LB?

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post
        No. I think Drue will be on the field in nickel/dime. But is he durable enough to be counted on for a full season. IMO, he's good depth and is a situational player.

Comment

• SYB
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No. I think Drue will be on the field in nickel/dime. But is he durable enough to be counted on for a full season. IMO, he's good depth and is a situational player.
          That remains to be seen. But I'm not going to act like his unfortunate injury last year is indicative that he can't.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

That remains to be seen. But I'm not going to act like his unfortunate injury last year is indicative that he can't.
            Agree and the way Telesco talked about him sure didn't sound like he thought he was a situational player.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Trank is actually not too bad in coverage, as long as it's not single high FS...too bad he got injured...was hoping for great things from him this past season...

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Oklahoma
                • Send PM

I think/hope Vigil wants to return on a Chargers friendly contract? How's his coverage?
                If not lucky enough to get Parsons, could target Zaven Collins in a trade down scenario.
                My ILB's would be Collins/Murray/Tranquil/Vigil. Collins and Murray could play some edge as well.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                  I think/hope Vigil wants to return on a Chargers friendly contract? How's his coverage?
                  If not lucky enough to get Parsons, could target Zaven Collins in a trade down scenario.
                  My ILB's would be Collins/Murray/Tranquil/Vigil. Collins and Murray could play some edge as well.
                  Yeah, I'd hope that Vigil comes back for a reasonable price. He's above average in coverage IMO. If TT doesn't bring back Perryman and/or Vigil... then ILB has to be addressed in the draft. Whether that's an early round pick or a later round TBD. I'm hoping for Collins/Murray/Tranq/Vigil myself. Very versatile group that Staley could do a lot of disguising with.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

So, Perryman isn't strong in coverage, Murray isn't strong in coverage, and the only glimmer of hope is that Staley and future DC coaches him up to cover better...and who knows how long that will take? That still leaves a big hole we have for a good coverage LB...and if Staley runs the Cover-4 D or some variation thereof, we will need a cover MLB in the zone...so we're back to drafting a good cover LB or finding one in FA...
                    The point isn't that he is strong in coverage or not. He is not, and we KNEW he was not when we drafted him. Again, so many people on this board seem to have simply ignored that fact.

The question is whether or not Murray will improve. So many fans simply assume that players will never improve, yet they see it all the time. And he has to play in order to continue to improve. Like I keep pointing out, college LB are generally bad in pass coverage. College coaches just don't really drill the technique side, and it comes back to bite their players when they step up.

It is worth remembering that none of our LB are strong in pass coverage. Tranquil is pretty average, maybe a bit better than average. He is the best we have, and he will continue to improve, but right now he is not a coverage guy.

Vigil has some solid technique and can shut down slower players, but is not quick or fast enough to hold up as a regular. That is why Cinci let him go. He is step slow in run D too. He is a solid backup, but he is just not a quality starter.

Perryman has the quickness to be good. He really bounced back as a run defender, and had his best year in coverage, but he is much more of an early down player. He lacks the deep speed to run with receivers. He can be a good player, but would be best as a regular LB who we sub out for a DB on obvious passing situations, and his salary needs to be adjusted accordingly. And then there is the injury thing.

Jefferson has the quickness to be a good ILB, but I am sure we wanted to give him a chance and he never got on the field, for our D that desperately needed the help. White is a poor run defender and misses a lot of tackles, but is a solid blitzer and his coverage improved a lot over the course of the season.

If Tranquil comes back and continues to improve and Murray will improve, then they are the likely starters. Perryman and White makes 1 good LB between them.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The point isn't that he is strong in coverage or not. He is not, and we KNEW he was not when we drafted him. Again, so many people on this board seem to have simply ignored that fact.

The question is whether or not Murray will improve. So many fans simply assume that players will never improve, yet they see it all the time. And he has to play in order to continue to improve. Like I keep pointing out, college LB are generally bad in pass coverage. College coaches just don't really drill the technique side, and it comes back to bite their players when they step up.

It is worth remembering that none of our LB are strong in pass coverage. Tranquil is pretty average, maybe a bit better than average. He is the best we have, and he will continue to improve, but right now he is not a coverage guy.

Vigil has some solid technique and can shut down slower players, but is not quick or fast enough to hold up as a regular. That is why Cinci let him go. He is step slow in run D too. He is a solid backup, but he is just not a quality starter.

Perryman has the quickness to be good. He really bounced back as a run defender, and had his best year in coverage, but he is much more of an early down player. He lacks the deep speed to run with receivers. He can be a good player, but would be best as a regular LB who we sub out for a DB on obvious passing situations, and his salary needs to be adjusted accordingly. And then there is the injury thing.

Jefferson has the quickness to be a good ILB, but I am sure we wanted to give him a chance and he never got on the field, for our D that desperately needed the help. White is a poor run defender and misses a lot of tackles, but is a solid blitzer and his coverage improved a lot over the course of the season.

If Tranquil comes back and continues to improve and Murray will improve, then they are the likely starters. Perryman and White makes 1 good LB between them.
                      Good analysis there, Steve. Bottom line, it would be wise to draft or sign a solid cover LB that fits Staley's system...

Comment

• SYB
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Good analysis there, Steve. Bottom line, it would be wise to draft or sign a solid cover LB that fits Staley's system...
                        Confused Bbc GIF by The QI Elves

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Jabril Cox, LB, LSU would be an Ideal every down in box and coverage LBer...... great coverage, great blitzer.....

Subscribe, Like this Video & Turn On Notifications!(↓↓ click show more ↓↓)Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/justbombsproductions/Twitter: https://twitter....

LSU LB Jabril Cox Highlight Mix || 2021 NFL Draft Highlights || 6'4'' 231 LbsNo Copyright intended. I do not own any of the videos used in this film and this...

Comment

Working...
                          X