• Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

People on this forum tend to get hung up on one part...when it's the sum of the parts that will determine success at any position. Strength, explosiveness, athleticism, and technique, together, can easily mitigate shorter arms....

Having said that, I don't care whether he plays tackle, guard, or center...adding Slater to this roster is worth the #13 pick.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Arm length is merely one checkbox DURING NFL draft scouting to help determine career potential. Now with LT's that checkbox is going to be placed a bit higher than say ILB or SS.

Arm length is virtually a non-factor for veteran OTs....where the totality of their game is already known. example=Fluker with 36 3/4 inch arms.

A comparison of shorter-armed guys vs longer-armed guys. You be the judge!!!
      The simple answer is yes, but there is plenty of nuance. Long-armed offensive linemen can fail while short armed linemen can succeed. Let's look at the numbers to see the failures and the successes.Then see if we can apply it to the 2015 draft.

So keep arm length in discussions because well....it sure adds drama

Good info. Appreciate it.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        People on this forum tend to get hung up on one part...when it's the sum of the parts that will determine success at any position. Strength, explosiveness, athleticism, and technique, together, can easily mitigate shorter arms....

Having said that, I don't care whether he plays tackle, guard, or center...adding Slater to this roster is worth the #13 pick.
        Hell yeah - no brainer at 13. I might even throw the 3rd round comp and the Titans pick at the Cowboys or Giants to get 10 or 11 to get him IF the 49ers lose Trent Williams in Free agency. If Trent Williams goes back to the 49ers and Slater is there at 10- he might just be there for the Chargers at 13

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Greg Newsome has to now be in play at #13.

My reading of tea leaves goes like this...

--we prioritize JJ III to qb the D.
          --we try to retain Rayshawn/MD.
          --defensive backfield is the key.
          --EDGE & DT will be addressed as depth pieces mid rounds.
          --Oline will be addressed with a mid level UFA and 2 picks by @ #118.
          --regretfully, it sure looks like HH is the collateral damage.

MW was prioritized, as a more valuable offensive weapon, over HH. There should be a long term deal soon.
          My guess.
          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I would draft Slater at #13, if he were going to be there.

My next conundrum involves @ #47. Creed and Dickerson. Will SF and DAL jump on both of them just before us ?
            Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Uh-oh.... Look who is in the OG section. I don't have those red circles to circle names like TC does but surpised to see D'ante Smith and Teven Jenkins in here.

They did give AVT a good writeup and suggested he might be able to be a LT but his added his best possition is at OG. Seems to be 50/50 with pundits.

Screenshot_20210309-215357.jpg
              Here we go again...a "T" who projects as a G...another one bites the dust...and another...and...we better grab the true OT we want @#13 and be done with it...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I would draft Slater at #13, if he were going to be there.

My next conundrum involves @ #47. Creed and Dickerson. Will SF and DAL jump on both of them just before us ?
                Both teams need a Center with the Niners releasing Richburg and the Cowboys when Frederick retired have a need in their OL- so yes, I am not sure either get past the Niners or Cowboys and make it to the Chargers. Wyatt Davis might

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

MW was prioritized, as a more valuable offensive weapon, over HH. There should be a long term deal soon.
                  My guess.
                  I don't think you bring back Rayshawn and sign JJIII - its one or the other

You are right that it looks like MW was prioritized - so have to hope the coaches are right on that one.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

My guess.
                    I agree with almost everything your tea leaf reading has seen.
                    Nope to JJIII.
                    2 maybe 3 OL FAs. The market could be deep and cheap.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I agree with almost everything your tea leaf reading has seen.
                      Nope to JJIII.
                      2 maybe 3 OL FAs. The market could be deep and cheap.
                      Agree about either JJ3 or Rayshawn - not both.
                      But yes, on the free agent market for both Interior OL and Edge Rushers - the market is going to be deep for both positions and there should be value at varying costs

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I think the majority of this board would have preferred to retain HH over MW. I know I would have. I just don’t see MW staying healthy long term. I know both have had bad luck with injuries, but Henry feels like the better bet to stay healthy long term.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Arm length is merely one checkbox DURING NFL draft scouting to help determine career potential. Now with LT's that checkbox is going to be placed a bit higher than say ILB or SS.

Arm length is virtually a non-factor for veteran OTs....where the totality of their game is already known. example=Fluker with 36 3/4 inch arms.

A comparison of shorter-armed guys vs longer-armed guys. You be the judge!!!
                          The simple answer is yes, but there is plenty of nuance. Long-armed offensive linemen can fail while short armed linemen can succeed. Let's look at the numbers to see the failures and the successes.Then see if we can apply it to the 2015 draft.

So keep arm length in discussions because well....it sure adds drama

Interesting and we can dispell the short arm argument. Sign Lindsay and Feiler(32") and draft Slater (33") and we can have the All short arm OL and kick ass lol.

Though I guess 33" is acceptable for OT but not ideal

Comment

Working...
                          X