• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Nwosu has yet to prove he can be a starting caliber OLB in the NFL. He has done his bet work as a run down SAM/OTTO and a situational pass rusher. So I am fine with drafting someone better to replace Nwosu, or even bringing back Ingram at the right price (read much cheaper than last year). We can also start him as the SAM LB, outside of Bosa and use him as a drop LB on obvious run downs. But in the end, Nwosu is not good enough to be a starter, unless he is shows a lot more than he has so far. I still think he is a useful player, but not someone who I would avoid drafting a replacement for.

We might want to line JOK as a S in base D, but then move him up to be an ILB in the nickel/dime packages the way we used to play Phillips. Even before Phillips really hit his stride, we were a much, much better D in the dime than in our base. A player like JOK is much better than Phillips, and would be a perfect fit.

He also plays like a S so much, and reads things so well, he can probably play left or right S. Derwin is also a good deep S. Read the play, and rotate into position (the Staley/
    Fangio split coverage system is all about rotating the S and Nickel DB into positions to avoid them having to take on blocks. He does that well, so it would be a fine fit. Or they could play him in the role that Roquain Smith plays in the Bears D, because he is much better in coverage than Smith is.

Or we can use him like Derwin, like an extra LB in the box, because Staley uses his nickel LB in that role. Or, even alternate Staley and James in that role and use it to hide the coverage even more, which is the whole point of using the split S (2 deep) alignment in the 1st place.

To me the biggest problem is that we need to be better on O and D. We have some biggish holes on both. We can't fill them all, at least not as well as we might like. So, it is probably better to try and get better at one and hope that coaching and some luck helps the other. Herbert is the kind of QB that can either score a lot of points or just come up big late in games. So, we can really go either way. I am inclined to think we are better off trying to make a really good offense, and then our D just has to protect a lead. If we are going to draft a LT early and then use middle and later draft picks to fill in on D, that will probably work. Not perfectly, but it's like we have the choice of fixing every single hole. That probably won't happen even if we had a lot more cap space and a lot more draft picks. Every team that wins championships has holes, we just need synergy that can put together a squad that compliments the O and D, and the rest will take care of itself. Not ideal, but the best we can do in Staley year 1.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is the BEST linebacker in the draft - YouTube
    Thanks for the link, Steve. JOK is impressive. I'm sure Staley would use him in many different ways.
    I guess I fit into that "complete-the-offense" mind-frame. I think we're one left tackle away from being very good on offense.
    I know we need more pieces on defense to do what Staley wants to do.
    What are your thoughts on Chazz Surratt?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Good conversation. Important conversation back and forth. So I just ran a PFN Mock and both MP and JOK still on the board. Opted for no trades just straight up just to see how needs shook out taking BPA (IMO) to address areas of need and this is what I came up with:

13. Micah Parson, OLB Penn State 6-3 245 pounds I want to compare his Pro Day with Devin White

Besides what's already been stated about using draft capital on Murray, that's all water under the bridge, he will be an outstanding ILB and now Staley gets his dynamic OLB to pair with Bosa.

47. Dillon Radunz, OT North Dakota State 6-6 300 pounds Could wind up being the best LT in class

77. Eric Stokes. CB Georgia 6-1 185 Compete all around CB to develop into starting boundary corner, willing tackler with good ball skills

97. Quinn Meinerz, OG/C Wisconsin-Whitewater, 6-3 320 Offensive line depth first, OG & back-up for Corey Linsley, added youth to OL, 99,9% guarantee in time will start.

118 Jaylen Twyman, DT/DE Pittsburgh 6-2 290 Underrated, high motor can penetrate and set the edge as a 3-4 end

159 Trey Sermon, RB Ohio State 6-1 215 power back to go with Austin Ekeler. Good hands and receiving ability but best thing is pass protection blocking to protect Herbert

185 Kary Vincent, CB LSU 5*10 189 track guy with good agility, slot CB with safety experience as well

198 Nick Eubanks, TE Michigan 6-5 256 Blocking TE coming off down year otherwise a top 100 prospect
      l
      241 Tedarrell Slaton, NG Florida 6-4 340 will have to bring his weight down to play three downs coming in situational short yardage and goal line occupy two lineman

Comment

• eaterfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

I'm a bit confused by people who will happily project Parsons as an on ball linebacker, something he hasn't doe in college, but won't consider AVT at LT, something he did extremely well in college last year.

People have continually asked "Would you rather have a stud LB or the 3rd best OT?" Sure, that's true. But I'll ask you this question "Would you rather have the 3rd best OT or the best kicker in the draft? It's a ridiculous question because a kicker just isn't as important as an OT. I could point out teams with great kickers who have won and plenty of games we could have won if we had a better kicker. The bottom line is that positional value matters and it matters a lot. Improving at ILB just doesn't move the needle in terms of winning as much as improving at LT.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post
          I'm a bit confused by people who will happily project Parsons as an on ball linebacker, something he hasn't doe in college, but won't consider AVT at LT, something he did extremely well in college last year.

People have continually asked "Would you rather have a stud LB or the 3rd best OT?" Sure, that's true. But I'll ask you this question "Would you rather have the 3rd best OT or the best kicker in the draft? It's a ridiculous question because a kicker just isn't as important as an OT. I could point out teams with great kickers who have won and plenty of games we could have won if we had a better kicker. The bottom line is that positional value matters and it matters a lot. Improving at ILB just doesn't move the needle in terms of winning as much as improving at LT.
          I still think the Chargers should get OT in R1 but if they go Edge or CB - I won't be that upset. Granted, if Slater is on the board and they still pass on him - I might not be happy.

And yes, for these Chargers with this QB - I think totally solidifying the OL is priority number 1. Again, they can still get OT in R2 - just would prefer a better prospect.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

These are good football takes mostly.

But IMV it is a bit off track with what the Chargers will do.

Nwosu SAM.
            He has "not proven anything yet" because Ingram has been here. The plan is for Uchenna to be our SAM, with Egbule as depth.

Murray MIKE.
            Kenneth Murray is our MIKE period. Christiansen is depth and STer.

Tranquill WILL.
            He played well before injury and is rehabbing nicely. KWhite is depth. Perfect.

Bosa RDE.
            Joey is our Rush Defensive End.
            Backup is a PON.

Broughton 1TECH.
            This is why we are talking to Darius Stills. A scrappy Shade DT is a PON. Who else ? JJones ? Fehoko ?

Joseph 4i.
            This is a surprise. Linval will eat up blockers. Tillery has a Hybrid role. TBD. I like Tyler Shelvin @#97 or #118.

The Chargers (Staley) will use different looks up front. A RDE/4i combo, such as Daye Obeyingbo, pre achilles, would have been dandy. @#97 ?

MDavis CB.
            Depth is clearly needed to go with Campbell, Facyson.

Harris Slot.
            A backup/successor would be ideal.

Adderley FS (and Slot).
            We have no backup.

James SS (and Nickel DB,LB, Slot).
            Gilman-that's it for depth in this vital role.
            ​​
            There are several position flexible DBs who can tackle and diagnose.
            Moehrig @#13. Holland @#47. Tariq Thompson @#118.

I am warming up to JOK @#13, come to think of it. Maybe this isn't redundancy after all. Props to Steve & 21.

The point is that we have to have specific roles in mind on our depth chart.

We can still get an OLT and ORG !
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Nwosu SAM.
              He has "not proven anything yet" because Ingram has been here. The plan is for Uchenna to be our SAM, with Egbule as depth.

Murray MIKE.

Tranquill WILL.

Bosa RDE.
              Backup is a PON.

Broughton 1TECH.
              This is why we are talking to Darius Stills. A scrappy Shade DT is a PON. Who else ? JJones ? Fehoko ?

Joseph 4i.
              This is a surprise. Linval will eat up blockers. Tillery has a Hybrid role. TBD. I like Tyler Shelvin @#97 or #118.

The Chargers (Staley) will use different looks up front. A RDE/4i combo, such as Daye Obeyingbo, pre achilles, would have been dandy. @#97 ?

MDavis CB.

Harris Slot.

Adderley FS (and Slot).
              We have no backup.

​​

I am warming up to JOK @#13, come to think of it. Maybe this isn't redundancy after all. Props to Steve & 21.

Wood, I thought u liked Murray better as a WILL...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Nwosu SAM.

Murray MIKE.

Tranquill WILL.

Bosa RDE.
                Backup is a PON.

Broughton 1TECH.

Joseph 4i.

MDavis CB.

Harris Slot.

Adderley FS (and Slot).
                We have no backup.

​​

Props to Steve and 21? That hurts....

Your just being spiteful...
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

LOL.
                  I am flying a two-prop plane.
                  No third prop.
                  What happened to Micah ?
                  Tell Nutty I am as excited about Chazz Surrat as I am about Chaz Bono.
                  One month to go.
                  It's time to get down.
                  :cheers:
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

QUOTE=wu-dai clan;n1192532]These are good football takes mostly.

Nwosu SAM.

Murray MIKE.

Tranquill WILL.

Bosa RDE.
                    Backup is a PON.

Broughton 1TECH.

Joseph 4i.

MDavis CB.

Harris Slot.

Adderley FS (and Slot).
                    We have no backup.

​​

We can still get an OLT and ORG ![/QUOTE]

Very nice.
                    This is why I come back for more

:toyou:
                    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Woodeye props are worth fighting for!
                      Wood is simply recognizing me for being the first genius to actually ADVOCATE for JOK at 13, not simply predict it.
                      Don’t trip, pssss Steve learned everything he knows from me, pass it on.

Haha
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Parsons is a converted LB and calls himself a natural DE/Edge rusher. He only played LB for 2 years. He is just athletic enough and able to do both.

And i dont think any is NOT considering AVT to LT. Its said by most that he can play LT but his BEST possition is at OG. If he does well at his pro day, moves well, times ok in certain agility areas, arms arent T-Rex them im good with him at LT.

And yes

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Nwosu SAM.

Murray MIKE.

Tranquill WILL.

Bosa RDE.
                          Backup is a PON.

Broughton 1TECH.

Joseph 4i.

MDavis CB.

Harris Slot.

Adderley FS (and Slot).
                          We have no backup.

​​

Shelvin has already been suspended by LSU for getting too fat. We dont want a typical NT fat boy in this defense so by having him potentually ballooning up and not really a great fit for this hybrid type of 3-4, dont know why we would draft him?

I know Fehoko was a PS player last year and Broughton hasnt played much in his two seasons but hopefully year three and a different scheme he can bring it this year.

How many DL we gonna carry? Needing another Edge rusher adds to it.

I see secondary needing the most pieces right now and still need one to two OL drafted. Two for sure if we dont bring back any of our scrubs lol. Surprised they resigned St Louis. Blah as can be.

We have Joseph and Jones for that NT role. Im speculating for sure but Staleys defense i dont think needs or uses that typical fat boy NT....and we likely wont be playing a base 3-4 much anyways.

Dayo agree would be nice but that achilles injury wasnt good.

Comment

Working...
                          X