Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    It's been a long time since we saw an OT that looked as good as Sewell. He looked like an NFL caliber player as a Freshman! Remember this, these LOT's usually play a long time - it could be 15 years before the Bolts would need to look for another LOT.
    If we make a move up to draft Sewell, I’ll be more fired up than I was when Derwin fell, Seau #5, or Merriman #12.
    Ideal prospect, perfect fit, it just makes too much sense.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yep, agree there.....just need a OT a lot better than Tevi was and that OT will have a lot better LG next to him than Tevi had.
      Tevi only allowed 2 sacks last year but allowed 151 pressures the past three seasons. Not sure how many of those were last year. But poor Rivers had to endure most of them.

Here is a Colts writeup perspective on Tevi as what they are getting

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/...g-to-the-colts
      Yes, Rivers endured a subpar OL for way to many years. The Chargers need to invest that 13th pick in OL. I know its the adage of Need v BPA. But in this case, and with what seems like many good options - solve this position for the next 8-10 years.

Comment

• eaterfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        Might want to allocate one of those first four picks on a TE.

See I wouldn’t give up picks to trade down. Not in this draft. It’s one of the most talent-packed drafts I’ve seen in 20 years.

We really need a starting caliber LT and CB, two of the hardest positions to draft correctly.

Then we need a TE, RG, EDGE, and S.

Need depth at DL and ILB.

Need to find Bulaga’s successor at RT.

But then again there’s really good WRs in this draft, gotta grab one of those too.

That’s 10 picks right there and we only have 9.

There’s still time to sign a FA and hopefully we’ll get lucky with UDFAs. We have a good track record with that.
        To counter your argument, if we have so many holes to fill it's pretty unrealistic to think one third round pick is going to make a difference. I think this team is one more off season away from really competing for a Superbowl. So try to get premium positions that we likely won't get in next year's FA class or may be hard to draft in the later half of the round next year.

I think it obviously depends on the price, but I wouldn't mind moving up a little to get Sewell, maybe even Slater. I'm not giving up a haul to move into the top 5, though.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

To counter your argument, if we have so many holes to fill it's pretty unrealistic to think one third round pick is going to make a difference. I think this team is one more off season away from really competing for a Superbowl. So try to get premium positions that we likely won't get in next year's FA class or may be hard to draft in the later half of the round next year.

I think it obviously depends on the price, but I wouldn't mind moving up a little to get Sewell, maybe even Slater. I'm not giving up a haul to move into the top 5, though.
          I look at it the other way - more longer term than just this year as I agree it will take a couple draft classes. I think Telesco should load up on draft picks this year not for 2021 but 2022-2024. So, you get your depth pieces this year while you still have veterans on the roster (Linval Joseph, Chris Harris, maybe even guys like Villanueva/Dennis Kelly and a veteran CB) to allow these rookies a year to mature. And next year, if Telesco drafts well you have a bunch of guys heading into their second year ready to contibrute more.

Seriously - I just want a good solid workmanlike draft. I get people talk about the Saints draft in 2017. But just looking for solid rotational fits and if one or two become close to or all pro players - fine. IF that bar is too low - so be it.

If you spend the draft capital this year for Sewell - not only will you be relying on veterans on the roster - but also will have to do the same next year for depth as what can you expect from a rookie class next spring. This is a good transition year as the Chargers still have cap space to fill depth at OT, CB and Edge.

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I look at it the other way - more longer term than just this year as I agree it will take a couple draft classes. I think Telesco should load up on draft picks this year not for 2021 but 2022-2024. So, you get your depth pieces this year while you still have veterans on the roster (Linval Joseph, Chris Harris, maybe even guys like Villanueva/Dennis Kelly and a veteran CB) to allow these rookies a year to mature. And next year, if Telesco drafts well you have a bunch of guys heading into their second year ready to contibrute more.

Seriously - I just want a good solid workmanlike draft. I get people talk about the Saints draft in 2017. But just looking for solid rotational fits and if one or two become close to or all pro players - fine. IF that bar is too low - so be it.

If you spend the draft capital this year for Sewell - not only will you be relying on veterans on the roster - but also will have to do the same next year for depth as what can you expect from a rookie class next spring. This is a good transition year as the Chargers still have cap space to fill depth at OT, CB and Edge.
            I don't think that's a bad strategy, either. I wouldn't mind trading down and gaining some extra picks, either. I'm just not thinking that one third round pick is going to be the difference maker down the line that Sewell is. I'm definitely willing to admit I could very easily be wrong. Buy that's why I'm not willing to move up any farther than a third round pick will take us.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I don't think that's a bad strategy, either. I wouldn't mind trading down and gaining some extra picks, either. I'm just not thinking that one third round pick is going to be the difference maker down the line that Sewell is. I'm definitely willing to admit I could very easily be wrong. Buy that's why I'm not willing to move up any farther than a third round pick will take us.
              I don't think you can get Sewell for a third round pick unless he drops to the 9 or 10 range. In looking at the draft chart --
              Denver is at 9 and that could cost 200 points - or basically the Chargers first third round pick
              Dallas is at 10 and that would cost you 150 so that might have to be the Chargers 1st, 3rd and 6th for the Cowboys 1st and 4th

If Sewell drops to the Broncos range - I think I would be okay with either of the two trades.
              I am not as comfortable giving up like a 2nd and 4th to move up for Sewell - thats a lot of draft capital

Comment

• eaterfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

I don't think you can get Sewell for a third round pick unless he drops to the 9 or 10 range. In looking at the draft chart --
                Denver is at 9 and that could cost 200 points - or basically the Chargers first third round pick
                Dallas is at 10 and that would cost you 150 so that might have to be the Chargers 1st, 3rd and 6th for the Cowboys 1st and 4th

If Sewell drops to the Broncos range - I think I would be okay with either of the two trades.
                I am not as comfortable giving up like a 2nd and 4th to move up for Sewell - thats a lot of draft capital
                Sounds like we're in agreement.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Throw trade value matrix out the window when discussing top 10 picks, it’s just not applicable or relevant. You have to make an offer they cannot refuse, these are elite of the elite prospects. Just look at what the Texans gave Miami two 1st’s and a 2nd for Laremy Tunsil. Tunsil is no Sewell. Minimum, 1st #13 and 2nd #47 2021 and 2022 1st rd. which we all hope would be pick #32nd.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Throw trade value matrix out the window when discussing top 10 picks, it’s just not applicable or relevant. You have to make an offer they cannot refuse, these are elite of the elite prospects. Just look at what the Texans gave Miami two 1st’s and a 2nd for Laremy Tunsil. Tunsil is no Sewell. Minimum, 1st #13 and 2nd #47 2021 and 2022 1st rd. which we all hope would be pick #32nd.
                    Throw out the value charts when it comes to a GM looking for a QB, as well. I can see the Pats giving up the farm to get a QB (extra horny for a QB on a rookie deal). Bellichek can't draft good players anyways, so what's a few extra picks?
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Texans are not the best example - their GM was an idiot.

I am not giving up all that to move up four spots from 13 to 9. Now maybe 13 to top 5 - your trade makes more sense. 13 to 9 -- I think its not as much as you think.

All things equal - I think the Chargers can find a good OT at 13 without having to move even up a few spots. Talent is always there.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Seriously doubt the Donks deal with us...being division rivals and all...

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...remember when we drafted Tevin "The Human Toothpick" Reese? How'd that work out for us?
                          You mean the 7th rounder? Not a really big deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X