Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Sammy Small School background still scares me off a bit. After getting burned by a Sammie like Pip, even though Meinerz looks promising, I wouldn't want to take him any higher than round 4...I want to see a large body of work vs. quality competition...
    Going to miss on a ton of talent only looking at power 5 prospects in the first 3 rounds.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Going to miss on a ton of talent only looking at power 5 prospects in the first 3 rounds.
      I guess that's where getting many sets of eyes together and making a proper evaluation comes in. Would I choose a Sammie Small Schooler in round 1? Probably never--too risky. Round 2--probably not, again too risky--level of competition is so hard to gauge, and a huge step up from a Division III to Division I college. Round 3? Maybe, depending on how well a player does in a bowl game, especially something like the Senior Bowl, when a Sammie is up against Division I players. Not saying some of those Sammies won't excel in the NFL--many of them will. It's just that we increase our percentages of landing a solid player if we go with a Division I prospect.

Here's where it gets so tricky. I might, might consider someone like Meinerz with our second 3rd round pick, IF he checks all the boxes and the coaching staff is sold on him. However, if someone like Meinerz is very similar to another OG from a Division I school, I probably go with the Division I player. He is probably more "pro ready," and less of a project that could take years to coach up--like Pip, who got drafted in the 3rd round. And Pip is still not a sure thing...
      Last edited by Topcat; 04-15-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Sammy Small School background still scares me off a bit. After getting burned by a Sammie like Pip, even though Meinerz looks promising, I wouldn't want to take him any higher than round 4...I want to see a large body of work vs. quality competition...
        Somebody will buy the hype by round 3 and Mel will orgasmically gush all over it..........

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Somebody will buy the hype by round 3 and Mel will orgasmically gush all over it..........
          Speaking of Kiper, he sure has made some stinker predictions over the years:

kiper.JPG

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

NFL Scouting Combine and Pro Day scores, percentiles and metrics for Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Per Brandon Thorn...

AVT 13
              Slater 15
              Darrisaw 18
              Meinerz 37

Good fits for LAC:

Leatherwood 38
              Christensen 47
              Newman 110

With regard to the notion of trying to find an OL starter in round 2, Thorn, legitimately an Oline expert,
              grades both Leatherwood and Christensen as being on the border between "Immediate NFL Starter" and Potential NFL Starter."
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Yes you have posted that non official combine results before and I postedtwo other things that said his arms were 32.5".
                Either way he isn't 34" and he will be a HOFer.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes you have posted that non official combine results before and I postedtwo other things that said his arms were 32.5".
                  Either way he isn't 34" and he will be a HOFer.
                  BTW.
                  Good, intelligent, football savvy mock, Jolt.
                  My only nit to pick is that you, and many others, are higher on Sterns than I am.
                  ​​No drama up high please--last line of defense.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Per Brandon Thorn...

AVT 13
                    Slater 15
                    Darrisaw 18
                    Meinerz 37

Good fits for LAC:

Leatherwood 38
                    Christensen 47
                    Newman 110

With regard to the notion of trying to find an OL starter in round 2, Thorn, legitimately an Oline expert,
                    grades both Leatherwood and Christensen as being on the border between "Immediate NFL Starter" and Potential NFL Starter."
                    On the IOL or OT?
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

On the IOL or OT?
                      I would consider Leatherwood as OT only, Christensen OT possibly, and Newman IOL+ emergency OT only.

Thorn sounds to be about there too.

I was surprised he has Christensen so high. Thorn is gaga over Dickerson--I mean top10 gaga.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

BTW.
                        Good, intelligent, football savvy mock, Jolt.
                        My only nit to pick is that you, and many others, are higher on Sterns than I am.
                        ​​No drama up high please--last line of defense.
                        I wanted to put Jamar Johnson there but don't think he will be there. But in this draft, your never know.

No idea is we will draft Javonte as Miami may take him with their 36 pick anyways but when I was going thru the RBs later in the draft, I just keep going back to I think Lombardi wants a good capable talented RB to use like Kamara while doing the same with Ekeler to a lessor extent.

I just don't see that player later. There are some decent ones like Sermon but he would be a 3rd-4th rounder and I like Chuba but I think Javonte is a Lombardi type of RB ...as well as Ettiene but we aren't drafting a RB at #13.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-18-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I wanted to out Jamar Johnson there but don't think he will be there. But in this draft, your never know.

No idea is we will draft Javonte as Miami may take him with their 36 pick anyways but when I was going thru the RBs later in the draft, I just keep going back to I think Lombardi wants a good capable talented RB to use like Kamara while doing the same with Ekeler to a lessor extent.

I just don't see that player later. There are some decent ones like Sermon but he would be a 3rd-4th rounder and I like Chuba but I think Javonte is a Lombardi type of RB ...as well as Ettiene but we aren't drafting a RB at #13.
                          One of the keys there for me is that Ifeatu and Bynum would both have multi role capabilities for Staley.

Comment

Working...
                          X