• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Great draft. Not sure how you got all those fallers, but I’d love it if draft day went like that. A lot of my favorites in there.
    Yeah, i have no idea how far from reality it is. Seems like it’d be far. Every mock I’ve done I am getting a good DT prospect in 2 and OL in 3. I’ve alternated between CB and Edge in 1, but I think Edge is a better use of 17. Harder to find, and harder to scheme around poor ones. I think? One great CB won’t solve lack of pass rush and no CB can cover forever but a great edge rush can suddenly makes medium level CBs better if they don’t have to cover as long. We were 21st in sacks last year.

Also why I switched from Jordon Davis fanboy to a more athletic DT that can hold up against rush perhaps not quite as strong but can penetrate and pressure on pass downs. Last year our DTs got single blockers alot, Nwosu got singled some too, allowing double and some triple on Joey. Need to make offenses care about more than just Joey.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well i guess we are quibbling now. Our backups are not better than Tillery imo. I agree Tillery hasn’t lived up to Rd1 selection, thats irrelevant. We need a better starter and better backups. I think Tillery is better than our backups, he’s not great as a starter. Will other backups you bring in be better than Tillery? Beats me. Backup implies not starter so they don’t solve the problem.

Not sure how to assess your “decent backups may not always make the tackle …” comment. If they don’t make a play that they should make, i don’t care about why at the macro level. The entire DL group needs major uplift, Tillery was not a good #1 pick. Maybe we disagree less that it seems

If we cut him, we have $2M cap gain, not $3,6M.
      Aren’t a lot of our backup DL rookie UDFAs? Tillery is gonna be in what, year three? He’s had plenty of snaps and coaching, maybe he has a late growth spurt but I’d really like to see what some of guys playing “behind” him can show this TC in their development.

Also if he didn’t suck as much as he does, we wouldn’t even be looking to draft a DL/sign a FA DL. Seems to be on everybody’s to-get list, even with Tillery under contract. And I’m fine not bringing in backup DL as you’re right, we have plenty. I want a starting DL in FA, Day or Fatusaki would upgrade Tillery, easy. Sign both and rotate with Jones, keep everyone fresh. 17 games, 32 in D. Make changes.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I view Tillery as I view Jones. A solid 3rd round talent. A rotational DL. He was just over drafted.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Today’s PFN mock. I f’d up and picked two RBs lol. I’m not your next GM, thats all I can really say.
          • 17. David Ojabo EDGE Michigan
          • 48. Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia
          • 79. Bernhard Raimann OT Central Michigan
          • 122. Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee
          • 160. Skyy Moore WR Western Michigan
          • 194. Micah McFadden LB Indiana
          • 215. Jake Camarda P Georgia
          • 234. Quay Holmes RB ETSU
          • 253. Noah Elliss DT Idaho
          • 254. Tycen Anderson S Toledo
          • 256. Shermari Jones RB Coastal Carolina
          I just did a PFF mock and Raimann was gone by 17. It really is silly season with mocks right now as you got a PFF mid first rounder with a third on PFN. They are still fun though.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            I view Tillery as I view Jones. A solid 3rd round talent. A rotational DL. He was just over drafted.
            I only wish Staley did. Sigh.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Yeah, i have no idea how far from reality it is. Seems like it’d be far. Every mock I’ve done I am getting a good DT prospect in 2 and OL in 3. I’ve alternated between CB and Edge in 1, but I think Edge is a better use of 17. Harder to find, and harder to scheme around poor ones. I think? One great CB won’t solve lack of pass rush and no CB can cover forever but a great edge rush can suddenly makes medium level CBs better if they don’t have to cover as long. We were 21st in sacks last year.

Also why I switched from Jordon Davis fanboy to a more athletic DT that can hold up against rush perhaps not quite as strong but can penetrate and pressure on pass downs. Last year our DTs got single blockers alot, Nwosu got singled some too, allowing double and some triple on Joey. Need to make offenses care about more than just Joey.
              Signing our own key FAs and signing key outside FAs needs to happen . Hopefully then we will be in a position to simply draft BPA .
              Currently our most obvious need is to strengthen the defense through FA & draft.
              In the deciding factor, points, we were the NFL's #5 Offense, #30 Defense.
              Clearly not acceptable.
              Run D is our biggest weakness. The apparent need (other than scheme adjustment) is interior DT and interior LB.
              We must create more 3rd & longs for opponents.
              Our CBs are good when healthy & fresh which is not often. Ideally we will have 5 potential starters. I see 2 now. Big need.
              Edge - We have an elite player. He needs a couple decent buddies.
              Right now I'd draft 17 CB Gardner, 48 DE Jermaine Johnson, 79 Perrion Winfrey. "IF" ​FA plays an important role.

Comment

• BoltzHomer
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

pff_mock_results.png
                Attached Files

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Aren’t a lot of our backup DL rookie UDFAs? Tillery is gonna be in what, year three? He’s had plenty of snaps and coaching, maybe he has a late growth spurt but I’d really like to see what some of guys playing “behind” him can show this TC in their development.

Also if he didn’t suck as much as he does, we wouldn’t even be looking to draft a DL/sign a FA DL. Seems to be on everybody’s to-get list, even with Tillery under contract. And I’m fine not bringing in backup DL as you’re right, we have plenty. I want a starting DL in FA, Day or Fatusaki would upgrade Tillery, easy. Sign both and rotate with Jones, keep everyone fresh. 17 games, 32 in D. Make changes.
                  If you sign and draft enough new DL, we can talk cutting Tillery; if not we can demote him to backup. don’t tell me about the current backups languishing between 3rd string and practice squad, I’ve already seen them. They aren’t better than Tillery and are definitely not the answer.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

20 Feb 2022 first rounds.JPG
                    20 Feb 2022 later rounds.JPG

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Today’s PFN mock. I f’d up and picked two RBs lol. I’m not your next GM, thats all I can really say.
                      • 17. David Ojabo EDGE Michigan
                      • 48. Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia
                      • 79. Bernhard Raimann OT Central Michigan
                      • 122. Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee
                      • 160. Skyy Moore WR Western Michigan
                      • 194. Micah McFadden LB Indiana
                      • 215. Jake Camarda P Georgia
                      • 234. Quay Holmes RB ETSU
                      • 253. Noah Elliss DT Idaho
                      • 254. Tycen Anderson S Toledo
                      • 256. Shermari Jones RB Coastal Carolina
                      I could live with that!

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't think Faalele drops to #90...u can't teach 6-8, 380#...and pretty nimble for a freakishly big guy...

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

$3.6m could be a real difference maker @RB.
                          I was thinking the same thing. Could be the difference of a Sony Michel or even better over Josh Kelly returning.

Comment

Working...
                          X