• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

There is a decent possibility that he couldn't hang at center in the NFL,
    However, i agree that getting a guy who can play RG and center at a high level would make him worthy of #17.

Telesco would be going for the hat trick if they try to convert him into a center.

He did pretty well at the Senior Bowl.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking about the zion pick, you get a probowl guard until linsley hangs them up and then you get and ALL-pro center. This is precisely the type of roster building that the chargers have lacked, but now with Herbert they really can’t afford to look past offensive line like they have in the past. Hopefully under staley the old recycled broken down free agent linemen routine is going bye bye…looks like Staley is only interested in bringing in under 30 year old FAs with solid experience, production, or upside. They haven’t resigned aboushi because they’re waiting to see which guards get cut after the draft. Aboushi is looking at bet minimum with questionable starting prospects everywhere else so he’s got no choice but to sit tight and see ifmthe chargers give him another go at starting.
      Zion is this draft's Alijah Vera Tucker. Had Rashawn Slater been off the board at the Chargers pick last spring, it's entirely possible that AVT is the guy they'd have taken. Slater went to the Bolts at #13, and AVT went to the Jets at 14.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If you're picking him to move Feiler over to RT... then maybe.
        If you're picking him to play LG for a couple years, then move to center once Linsley's done... then yeah.

It's kind of a 3-for-1 deal.
        You are knowledgeable. I have always liked that about you. I kept waiting for you to convince me that an undervalued position should go at #17 in the draft. That didn't happen.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

There is a decent possibility that he couldn't hang at center in the NFL,
          However, i agree that getting a guy who can play RG and center at a high level would make him worthy of #17.

Telesco would be going for the hat trick if they try to convert him into a center.

zion played center for most of the senior bowl and he was fantastic! He hurt the big NT from Arkansas (ridgeway?) early in the game on a zone blocking ridgeway was mirroring johnson and when he tried to shed the block zion took ridgways momentum and using his right arm he physically lifted him off his feet into the air and slammed him so hard on the ground that ridgeway needed some time to get off the field. The violence of that play was on another level, that was almost criminal. The sound got picked up on the mic when ridgeway landed, it was nasty…

why do you think he can’t hang at center, please specify? He’s definitely not missing any physical attributes and sure as shit isn’t an intelligence issue. If you’re worried about the guys intelligence don’t, the kid is like mensa caliber smart, he’s too smart to be playing football to be honest. Rare student athlete I believe he earned an electrical engineering degree in three years at BC and was already working on his masters, I’ll have to double check on that but I think he projects to center every bit as strong or even stronger than guard. I wouldn’t play him at tackle tho, the only so so to bad tape he had in college was a few times he had to fill in at tackle in emergencies.
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Zion is this draft's Alijah Vera Tucker. Had Rashawn Slater been off the board at the Chargers pick last spring, it's entirely possible that AVT is the guy they'd have taken. Slater went to the Bolts at #13, and AVT went to the Jets at 14.
            Zion is an even better prospect than AVT and he can play center too. Also Zion is super intelligent guy he majored in electrical engineering and graduated early. Also AVT went #14 but the jets traded up to #14 to get him. I’ve heard the speculation about whether Zion is worth the #17 pick and the funny thing is he might go 11-15. If that happens we’re probably going corner.

folks need to realize what drafting Zion at 17 would mean, it means you’re drafting the best IOL in the entire draft and possibly one of the best in the last 4 drafts combined.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

If you're picking him to move Feiler over to RT... then maybe.
              If you're picking him to play LG for a couple years, then move to center once Linsley's done... then yeah.

It's kind of a 3-for-1 deal.
              Doubt we would move Zion to OC at any point.
              We have 3 years to draft another OC to take over for Linsley. IF we draft Zion it will be to play OG and maybe fill in at RT. Some teams asked to see him at OC at the senior bowl, may have only been one for all we know but that don't mean it was us.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-13-2022, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Zion is an even better prospect than AVT and he can play center too. Also Zion is super intelligent guy he majored in electrical engineering and graduated early. Also AVT went #14 but the jets traded up to #14 to get him. I’ve heard the speculation about whether Zion is worth the #17 pick and the funny thing is he might go 11-15. If that happens we’re probably going corner.

folks need to realize what drafting Zion at 17 would mean, it means you’re drafting the best IOL in the entire draft and possibly one of the best in the last 4 drafts combined.
                I'm not a fan of drafting OG in the middle of the first
                but you are very convincing.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

You are knowledgeable. I have always liked that about you. I kept waiting for you to convince me that an undervalued position should go at #17 in the draft. That didn't happen.
                  Thanks Freak. I'm glad to see you over here. I've always appreciated your knowledge. Unlike some, I appreciate the whole tongue-n-cheek Emperor Schtick, too... very funny.
                  My first choice would be an OT that fits our blocking scheme (Raimann). But if he were gone, I'd be OK with "reaching" on Zion @#17. I think he's the best guard prospect (for our scheme). I would be OK with the right CB @#17, too (big McDuffie fan). Although, I'd only draft a CB there if I'm sure that a 3rd round guard is good enough to start immediately AND felt that Feiler good still be a quality RT. I don't buy into this "Pipkins is training with... Pipkins showed promise when he..." That's Sam Tevi wishful thinking strategy...

We've got to protect the franchise. We've got to get it right.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Thanks Freak. I'm glad to see you over here. I've always appreciated your knowledge. Unlike some, I appreciate the whole tongue-n-cheek Emperor Schtick, too... very funny.
                    My first choice would be an OT that fits our blocking scheme (Raimann). But if he were gone, I'd be OK with "reaching" on Zion @#17. I think he's the best guard prospect (for our scheme). I would be OK with the right CB @#17, too (big McDuffie fan). Although, I'd only draft a CB there if I'm sure that a 3rd round guard is good enough to start immediately AND felt that Feiler good still be a quality RT. I don't buy into this "Pipkins is training with... Pipkins showed promise when he..." That's Sam Tevi wishful thinking strategy...

What Schtick ? There's a schtick ?

I am with you on Pipkins. He is scary stuff at RT. I value the CB over the Guard position, so I would be ok with CB. McDuff Beer and all. Maybe we can take some of that 7th round trash and move up in the 3rd for a guard ?

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Ok, you are getting way over the top here: He's better than Quentin Nelson ????

Michael Onwenu at New England just had a great year.
                      Wyatt Teller Cleveland did too.

Chris Lindstrom at Atlanta. There are others that make that statement outlandish. Quentin Nelson was a #6 draft pick. Zion will not be.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

No one is disagreeing with the concept of building a solid OL.

There are problems with Duane Brown. Age is not necessarily one of them. Hence the mentioning of Whitworth.

Regarding the right side...
                        1. Aboushi
                        ---Btw an emergency ORT.
                        ---Came on after a few years.
                        ---Clearly someone we intend to
                        re-sign (see the light)
                        ---Wants to be a Charger.
                        2. Pipkins
                        ---Btw Duke also worked with Slater.
                        ---Pip under contract.
                        ---Light went on after a few years.
                        ---Similar path to Aboushi.
                        ---Pip likes it here.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

No one is disagreeing with the concept of building a solid OL.

There are problems with Duane Brown. Age is not necessarily one of them. Hence the mentioning of Whitworth.

Regarding the right side...
                          1. Aboushi
                          ---Btw an emergency ORT.
                          ---Came on after a few years.
                          ---Clearly someone we intend to
                          re-sign (see the light)
                          ---Wants to be a Charger.
                          2. Pipkins
                          ---Btw Duke also worked with Slater.
                          ---Pip under contract.
                          ---Light went on after a few years.
                          ---Similar path to Aboushi.
                          ---Pip likes it here.
                          I love the idea of re-signing Aboushi. I was one of the very few that wanted us to initially sign him in the first place. The knee HAS to check out, tho.
                          I'm probably one of the few that like us to re-sign Schofield. I want a vet next to my rookie RT.

I have no plans to cut Pipkins. Like you said, he's under contract. I think if Duke's work has improved his technique, balance, and lateral movement... he would be a welcomed 3rd tackle. There's no way to tell whether the light has come on. We need a RT that can start Day-1 and be very good come late January. I love your loyalty. I can't leave RT to chance. I do believe the right OT will be there @#17.

Pips contract is up after next year. Hopefully he comes back at a fair price. I want a young RT that is locked in for 5-year rookie contract. It will be nice to have 2 young bookends on rookie contracts when Herbert's multi-million bill comes due.

Comment

Working...
                          X