• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...especially at LT...how much do you value a good pass pro LT to keep your QB uninjured and unrattled? How much do you value a good pass pro LT to give your QB a few more ticks on the clock to find his 2nd or 3rd read? How much do you value a good LT who can open up holes to give even an average RB an opening to a key first down or TD? This is why LT is the highest rated position after QB...
    I don't want the Chargers to reach for OT as its by far the biggest need on the team heading into the draft (followed by CB). But, there seem to be more options than the year Fluker came out. I just looked, Fisher, Joekel and Lane Johnson were picked 1, 2 and 4. Fluker was picked 12th

The next OT was Menelik Watson by the Raiders at 42 followed by Armstead and the Saints at 77 (if I scrolled correctly the list). That was not good. This year there are many legitimate OT prospects, it seems, after Sewell and Slater. Tucker, Little, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Teven - between 13 and where Watson was picked in the 2013 (the 40's range). That is a lot more options for Telesco

So again, get in the scouting room, turn on the film and figure out the next best guy. Hell if Slater falls to 13 - fine. But if the homework reveals Walker or Tucker is good at 13 - pick them. If you have a few guys bunched together like Tucker, Darrisaw, Walker and you can trade down and not lose value, thats fine too. But don't get cute to get cute and trade down. Be strategic.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Exactly one of the Tar Heels, Memphis guy--these kinda players should be on our radar.

A lot of our other needs are covered now.

Gainwell. The Memphis guy. My ears perked up when Greg Cosell said he can run the full WR route tree. Put him out there with Ek. Talk about mismatches.
      Thats great if we are going to pass every down but we wont. Need a RB that can get the tough yards and able to run up the middle and break tackles and be durable ala Kamara. That isnt Gainwell or Carter.

Maybe we draft 2 RBs and one is one of those 2. Would that be a shocker? Would be great actually. Having Jackson on the injured list half the season is getting old. I have a feeling the draft for us is going to be a lot different than we think it is other than us drafting a LT.

I can totally see us drafting a WR like Mike Strachan who Ninja has mentioned and if he didnt mention him most would be like.....who?

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Kelley is an overachiever. But lacks burst through the whole.
        So for me, he is just a guy.

If your going to help Ekeler reduce wear and tear, any guy can do that, but if you want to help the offense then you need another weapon at RB that threatens the defense.
        Kelley had a 4.49 40 time and had probably the best 3-cone time of all RBs that year. The athletic traits are there. I think the problem was doing too much thinking out there. Gotta remember he was a walk-on to a Chip Kelly system. Caught Lynn's eye during UCLA visits. Then placed behind our funky system and o-line against NFL defenses. Appears to be a clean cut kid with no dreadlocks or tattoos. Interviewed without that bravado found in 4-5 star recruits in college interviews. Thrown out to the wolves in the NFL.
        So first 2 games: Week 1 was pretty much ground and pound the way Lynn likes. Week 2 we used him in the passing game (effective) but kept running him up the gut with our sorry o-line?

Week 1 vs Cin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqzpfjpyX3I

Week 2 vs KC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIX2uJ1UOY

His game and confidence started going downward in the next week weeks. Lets keep a close eye on the kid's ability to learn the playbook and schemes all over again but with 1 NFL season experience.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats great if we are going to pass every down but we wont. Need a RB that can get the tough yards and able to run up the middle and break tackles and be durable ala Kamara. That isnt Gainwell or Carter.

Maybe we draft 2 RBs and one is one of those 2. Would that be a shocker? Would be great actually. Having Jackson on the injured list half the season is getting old. I have a feeling the draft for us is going to be a lot different than we think it is other than us drafting a LT.

I can totally see us drafting a WR like Mike Strachan who Ninja has mentioned and if he didnt mention him most would be like.....who?
          Agreed Jolt !!
          Hey we may pass every down,
          or pretty close with Herb. LOL.

I guess what I am trying to say is,
          and this is where you and I have Big Board feels...

there will be points in the draft where we are on the clock, and we can either overdraft at PON, or just take BPA skill player staring us in the face.

Several of our weakest spots have been somewhat addressed.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't want the Chargers to reach for OT as its by far the biggest need on the team heading into the draft (followed by CB). But, there seem to be more options than the year Fluker came out. I just looked, Fisher, Joekel and Lane Johnson were picked 1, 2 and 4. Fluker was picked 12th

The next OT was Menelik Watson by the Raiders at 42 followed by Armstead and the Saints at 77 (if I scrolled correctly the list). That was not good. This year there are many legitimate OT prospects, it seems, after Sewell and Slater. Tucker, Little, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Teven - between 13 and where Watson was picked in the 2013 (the 40's range). That is a lot more options for Telesco

So again, get in the scouting room, turn on the film and figure out the next best guy. Hell if Slater falls to 13 - fine. But if the homework reveals Walker or Tucker is good at 13 - pick them. If you have a few guys bunched together like Tucker, Darrisaw, Walker and you can trade down and not lose value, thats fine too. But don't get cute to get cute and trade down. Be strategic.
            Agree we don't want to reach, but we don't want to wait until round 2 to HOPE that one of the few true LT's left will be there...remember, there are a lot of OT's in this draft, but several of them are projected to kick inside to G...well, I don't want to kick our LT to G...I want him to stick at LT...

Comment

• PORTERPARTY1
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2020
              • Send PM

Trade up 3 spots to #10, use our #13 1nd #97 and Slater, snd at least one of the CB's will be there. Draft other position in rd 2 and you have two starters. Remember right now our only left tackle in Pipkins!

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I wonder if the team believes that with a strong IOL and a mobile QB, we still need a LOT but he doesn't absolutely Have to be a Pro Bowl lock. Like maybe one of the 2nd rounders or a trade up as in Murray can get the job done.
                I still lean toward LOT at 13 but can see BPA depending on what the board looks like when we're on the clock.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Kelley had a 4.49 40 time and had probably the best 3-cone time of all RBs that year. The athletic traits are there. I think the problem was doing too much thinking out there. Gotta remember he was a walk-on to a Chip Kelly system. Caught Lynn's eye during UCLA visits. Then placed behind our funky system and o-line against NFL defenses. Appears to be a clean cut kid with no dreadlocks or tattoos. Interviewed without that bravado found in 4-5 star recruits in college interviews. Thrown out to the wolves in the NFL.
                  So first 2 games: Week 1 was pretty much ground and pound the way Lynn likes. Week 2 we used him in the passing game (effective) but kept running him up the gut with our sorry o-line?

Week 1 vs Cin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqzpfjpyX3I

Week 2 vs KC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIX2uJ1UOY

His game and confidence started going downward in the next week weeks. Lets keep a close eye on the kid's ability to learn the playbook and schemes all over again but with 1 NFL season experience.

:sigh:

You are making "points."
                  We don't do "points" here.
                  We only do vitriol.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    I wonder if the team believes that with a strong IOL and a mobile QB, we still need a LOT but he doesn't absolutely Have to be a Pro Bowl lock. Like maybe one of the 2nd rounders or a trade up as in Murray can get the job done.
                    I still lean toward LOT at 13 but can see BPA depending on what the board looks like when we're on the clock.
                    There is a future pro bowl tackle in the 2nd round. His name is Spencer Brown. His traits are studly, his metrics are otherworldly, his demeanor is ideal, and he grew up on a damn farm baling hay or whatever 6'8, 315 farmers do.

He just needs a year to adjust to NFL speed. He looked fine in the senior bowl against future NFL players.

Northern Iowa offensive tackle Spencer Brown might be the best overall prospect playing in the Senior Bowl.At 6'8 1/2" Spencer Brown has a Twitter name of To...
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

There is a future pro bowl tackle in the 2nd round. His name is Spencer Brown. His traits are studly, his metrics are otherworldly, his demeanor is ideal, and he grew up on a damn farm baling hay or whatever 6'8, 315 farmers do.

He just needs a year to adjust to NFL speed. He looked fine in the senior bowl against future NFL players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyqd_7ZdTgs
                      If that’s the case... our asst OL coach Shaun Sharret would love to have him.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

If that’s the case... our asst OL coach Shaun Sharret would love to have him.
                        An angel on the streets, and a demon in his cleats.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyqd_7ZdTgs
                          Love Brown but always considered him a RT
                          do you think he can play LT?
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X