Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

There is a future pro bowl tackle in the 2nd round. His name is Spencer Brown. His traits are studly, his metrics are otherworldly, his demeanor is ideal, and he grew up on a damn farm baling hay or whatever 6'8, 315 farmers do.

He just needs a year to adjust to NFL speed. He looked fine in the senior bowl against future NFL players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyqd_7ZdTgs
    Get the LOT in round one - Sewell, Little or Slater. Then get Brown in the second round. He gets one year of backup to Baluga and then replaces him in 2022. We'd be set at both tackle spots for a long time. The go BPA for the rest of the draft.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Get the LOT in round one - Sewell, Little or Slater. Then get Brown in the second round. He gets one year of backup to Baluga and then replaces him in 2022. We'd be set at both tackle spots for a long time. The go BPA for the rest of the draft.
      Kinda risky to not grab a corner in the 2nd round, unless we get a quality one in FA. I think TT wants to give Pipkins one more year to develop into the RT of the future.
      But it’s a good idea.
      Protect the franchise.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Tol
        From Accounting
        • Mar 2019
        • Carlsbad
        • Send PM

DL7ea16.jpg

If I draft Slater at 13, it's because I want an elite left Guard prospect. But then I have to draft a LT in the 2nd, like Walker Little. Because Slater is not a true left tackle prospect, and neither is AVT. They are guard prospects to me, and if I want to finally solve the left tackle position once and for all, then I get the guy that's a true left tackle prospect. Here's a good read for all those Darrisaw haters out there: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/r...ghest-ceiling/

I still think DE is a bigger need than CB. There is no one opposite Bosa, unless you count Tillery, which I don't. Nor do I count Nwosu, who is a bit of a tweener and not a true DE. And there's no depth behind Bosa or the empty spot opposite him since losing Rochell. Patrick Jones II has been falling down draft boards but I still like him. He's been consistently productive as a base 4-3 DE. Carlos Basham Jr offers a bit more flexibility and upside, since he can rush from a 3 or 2 point stance like Ingram.

If Staley and TT want more of a twitched up tweener edge setter, then they might be more interested in drafting guys like Tryon, Oweh, and Roche, who have the length, but not as much weight as your typical 4-3 DE.

There are a lot of CB's I like: Surtain II, Horn, Newsome II, Kelvin Joseph, Trill Williams, and Adebo. I'm not high on Stokes, but he was BPA, so I doubled up on CB.

Hunter Henry is the only TE Telsco has ever drafted, so I think that changes real soon.

Koonce can offer some depth behind "Boogie." Hainsey can sit behind Feiler at RG. Ford can backup Nas at FS. And Sarell can develop behind Bulaga at RT.

I like RB's Trey Sermon and Jaret Patterson, but it's a passing league, and I'm fine giving our current stable another go with a revamped OL.

The Chargers have interviewed a handful of WR's, but other than Rondale Moore, they are mostly day 3 and UDFA guys. I wouldn't mind Anthony Schwartz in round 6 or 7 though.

I like CB Avery Williams as a round 7 kick returner. Special Teams still needs fixing. I also liked K Jose Borregales to replace Badgley, but since his resigning, that seams like less of a possibility. LB Justin Hilliard could also be a ST draft pick, an upgraded Dzubnar if you will.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Nutty Mock v.1,437,935

1st round: OT Samuel Cosmi. I think he fits Joe Lombardie's outside zone best.
          2nd round: CB Tyson Campbell. He has the skillset. Would also be happy with Melifonwu or Samuel.
          3rd round: ILB Pete Werner. Has the size and coverage skills to step in for Murray or Tranquil should injury visit.
          3rd round: 4i Osa Odighizua. Solid pass rusher. Disruptive vs the run. Darius Stills could be my 4th round 4i if Osa wasn't available here.
          4th round: Edge Elerson Smith. With Fackrell backing Nwosu, time to get Joey's depth piece.
          5th round: S Caden Sterns. Nice blend of coverage and tackling. Combo safety.
          6th round: IOL Josh Sills. Long armed LG that could take over that position in a year. Played well in tandem with Teven Jenkins.
          6th round: RB Elijah Mitchell. Inside/outside capabilities. Value, depth pick.
          7th round: TE Zach Davidson. Depth at TE. Can even punt.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Screenshot_20210325-193242~2.png
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
              DL7ea16.jpg

If I draft Slater at 13, it's because I want an elite left Guard prospect. But then I have to draft a LT in the 2nd, like Walker Little. Because Slater is not a true left tackle prospect, and neither is AVT. They are guard prospects to me, and if I want to finally solve the left tackle position once and for all, then I get the guy that's a true left tackle prospect. Here's a good read for all those Darrisaw haters out there: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/r...ghest-ceiling/

I still think DE is a bigger need than CB. There is no one opposite Bosa, unless you count Tillery, which I don't. Nor do I count Nwosu, who is a bit of a tweener and not a true DE. And there's no depth behind Bosa or the empty spot opposite him since losing Rochell. Patrick Jones II has been falling down draft boards but I still like him. He's been consistently productive as a base 4-3 DE. Carlos Basham Jr offers a bit more flexibility and upside, since he can rush from a 3 or 2 point stance like Ingram.

If Staley and TT want more of a twitched up tweener edge setter, then they might be more interested in drafting guys like Tryon, Oweh, and Roche, who have the length, but not as much weight as your typical 4-3 DE.

There are a lot of CB's I like: Surtain II, Horn, Newsome II, Kelvin Joseph, Trill Williams, and Adebo. I'm not high on Stokes, but he was BPA, so I doubled up on CB.

Hunter Henry is the only TE Telsco has ever drafted, so I think that changes real soon.

Koonce can offer some depth behind "Boogie." Hainsey can sit behind Feiler at RG. Ford can backup Nas at FS. And Sarell can develop behind Bulaga at RT.

I like RB's Trey Sermon and Jaret Patterson, but it's a passing league, and I'm fine giving our current stable another go with a revamped OL.

The Chargers have interviewed a handful of WR's, but other than Rondale Moore, they are mostly day 3 and UDFA guys. I wouldn't mind Anthony Schwartz in round 6 or 7 though.

I like CB Avery Williams as a round 7 kick returner. Special Teams still needs fixing. I also liked K Jose Borregales to replace Badgley, but since his resigning, that seams like less of a possibility. LB Justin Hilliard could also be a ST draft pick, an upgraded Dzubnar if you will.
              Interesting article on Slater vs. Darrisaw. I heard an interview with Frank Smith (Chargers' new run game coordinator). He said being a team player was very important to him. I wonder if he thinks those plays Darrisaw took off, or didn't put 100% into, would turn him off. Smith went on to say that every player has to depend on the other players around them to do their jobs.

It looks like you're building a 4-3 team rather than the 3-4 that Staley prefers. Basham is a talented player, I just not sure if he fits the scheme.

I like the players you chose (alot of the later round players and players you discuss, I like). Koonce, Hilliard, and Anthony Shwartz are all players I've mock drafted m,any times. Stokes in the 3rd would be a steal!

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                Nutty Mock v.1,437,935

1st round: OT Samuel Cosmi. I think he fits Joe Lombardie's outside zone best.
                2nd round: CB Tyson Campbell. He has the skillset. Would also be happy with Melifonwu or Samuel.
                3rd round: ILB Pete Werner. Has the size and coverage skills to step in for Murray or Tranquil should injury visit.
                3rd round: 4i Osa Odighizua. Solid pass rusher. Disruptive vs the run. Darius Stills could be my 4th round 4i if Osa wasn't available here.
                4th round: Edge Elerson Smith. With Fackrell backing Nwosu, time to get Joey's depth piece.
                5th round: S Caden Sterns. Nice blend of coverage and tackling. Combo safety.
                6th round: IOL Josh Sills. Long armed LG that could take over that position in a year. Played well in tandem with Teven Jenkins.
                6th round: RB Elijah Mitchell. Inside/outside capabilities. Value, depth pick.
                7th round: TE Zach Davidson. Depth at TE. Can even punt.
                Absolutely. Had him mocked to us at 13 about the time you were slobbering over AVT, you know, the guard (teasing)
                but based off all these mocks there might be reason to think he’s available in round 2. If ever we were to trade up back into the first it should be for a Cosmi or Little, someone who projects to be an elite LT
                and yes, Cosmi had a great chance to be an ELITE LT imho
                because half the league’s LTs too slow and edge rushers are getting faster every damn year.
                Cosmi needs time, but when he hits his stride sometime in 2022, he will straight beat speed rushers, not simply depend on the qb to throw before the defender gets there
                That’s what I see far too often at LT
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Critty, Eichenberg is a late 1st round/early 2nd round for me. Why 2 TE's? No Edge? CB and safety really late?

Sorry Critty, not a fan of your draft.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Absolutely. Had him mocked to us at 13 about the time you were slobbering over AVT, you know, the guard (teasing)
                    but based off all these mocks there might be reason to think he’s available in round 2. If ever we were to trade up back into the first it should be for a Cosmi or Little, someone who projects to be an elite LT
                    and yes, Cosmi had a great chance to be an ELITE LT imho
                    because half the league’s LTs too slow and edge rushers are getting faster every damn year.
                    Cosmi needs time, but when he hits his stride sometime in 2022, he will straight beat speed rushers, not simply depend on the qb to throw before the defender gets there
                    That’s what I see far too often at LT
                    LOL! I knew AVT's arms were shorter than most OT's... I didn't know they were 32 1/8 short. Minnesota will take AVT @#14.

I doubt Cosmi lasts until round 2. I doubt if most of the really good LT's last until #47. I'd rather keep all of my draft picks than use one to trade up. Too many players needed for Staley's defense. Take the guy that fits your system. Cosmi will need some technique adjustments and get stronger. But he'll be a long term LT for anyone that picks him. Having Feiler next to whoever we take @LT will help.

Comment

• Tol
                      From Accounting
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Carlsbad
                      • Send PM

Interesting article on Slater vs. Darrisaw. I heard an interview with Frank Smith (Chargers' new run game coordinator). He said being a team player was very important to him. I wonder if he thinks those plays Darrisaw took off, or didn't put 100% into, would turn him off. Smith went on to say that every player has to depend on the other players around them to do their jobs.

It looks like you're building a 4-3 team rather than the 3-4 that Staley prefers. Basham is a talented player, I just not sure if he fits the scheme.

I like the players you chose (alot of the later round players and players you discuss, I like). Koonce, Hilliard, and Anthony Shwartz are all players I've mock drafted many times. Stokes in the 3rd would be a steal!
                      I haven't been paying close attention, are we for sure switching to a 3-4? Or does Staley just want a hybrid? Do either of those benefit Bosa? They just paid him a ton of money, I would hope they put him in the best position to maximize his talent. Does a 3-4 do that for him?

Also I don't buy into this 'Darrisaw lacks motivation sometimes' or 'doesn't always give 100 percent, so he's not worth the 13th pick' cheese. He checks every box you want in a franchise left tackle. If there is a problem with motivation, it's a coach-able fix. The Notre Dame OL guys I heard stayed late after practices at the senior bowl and really left a good impression on the coaches and scouts there. So having Hainsey around I think could be a boost for the other young and rookie O-Linemen.

What scheme does Basham not fit? 3-4? I mean if we are switching to that then I would look to draft guys like Tryon, Oweh, or Roche instead.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

LOL! I knew AVT's arms were shorter than most OT's... I didn't know they were 32 1/8 short. Minnesota will take AVT @#14.

I doubt Cosmi lasts until round 2. I doubt if most of the really good LT's last until #47. I'd rather keep all of my draft picks than use one to trade up. Too many players needed for Staley's defense. Take the guy that fits your system. Cosmi will need some technique adjustments and get stronger. But he'll be a long term LT for anyone that picks him. Having Feiler next to whoever we take @LT will help.
                        I hope that’s not the case, and I said as much when we hired Staley.
                        we have a chance to use FA and draft to prioritize improving a bottom 3 OL in the NFL for our franchise qb
                        but if choose to spend those resources finding “Staley’s guys” then it works against building the OL.
                        so far it’s looking like that’s not the case, and I’ve given Staley and Teleaco credit for being conservative with their only defensive FA
                        but if the idea is to use the draft to target 6 defenders (knowing your missing on some) then I question the wisdom.
                        this is the offseason to go all out with building a starting OL with vets (check) add in a key franchise type of tackle (Sewell) and add depth. Again, knowing you’ll miss somewhere, but at worst you’re strategically protecting the franchise in JH.
                        So if the opportunity is there to trade up for Sewell (even over paying can be reasonable compensation) then the excuse CANNOT be that Staley needs his guys, Staley is a genius, let him figure it out with a mid level FA guy or two, and 1 premium draft pick plus later rounds.
                        ”his defense” won’t be ready until 2023 anyway, and hopefully it’s not the same defense as the 2019 Rams because things change quickly and that exact defense likely doesn’t rank as high 2 years from now.
                        what doesn’t change, is Herbert’s positive correlation between protection and production
                        We all want to be the genius that advocates for a trade down, get a starting LT, plus an extra 2nd blah blah blah
                        literally every fanboard from 32 teams has that “genius”, but the reality is that Sewell, as great as he projects to be anywhere, has more value to us than anyone because of how big the PON is AND the connection to Herbert. Psychologically, think about it, failure is not an option for PS if the team that your former ex qb is on, who just came off the best qb rookie season EVER behind a shit line and off 15 games, trades up for your ass!
                        pressure is absolutely on and the kid has all the intangibles to rise to the challenge
                        both Sewell and Herbert will be elite at their respective positions for the next decade, and we won’t remember what we gave up to make that happen
                        1st, second and 3rd this year and 2022 first and third
                        boofuckinghoo
                        throw in Tillery just to piss me off haha

edit: I doubt it would cost that much, but I’m prepared to attain Sewell NO MATTER WHAT
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

I haven't been paying close attention, are we for sure switching to a 3-4? Or does Staley just want a hybrid? Do either of those benefit Bosa? They just paid him a ton of money, I would hope they put him in the best position to maximize his talent. Does a 3-4 do that for him?

Also I don't buy into this 'Darrisaw lacks motivation sometimes' or 'doesn't always give 100 percent, so he's not worth the 13th pick' cheese. He checks every box you want in a franchise left tackle. If there is a problem with motivation, it's a coach-able fix. The Notre Dame OL guys I heard stayed late after practices at the senior bowl and really left a good impression on the coaches and scouts there. So having Hainsey around I think could be a boost for the other young and rookie O-Linemen.

What scheme does Basham not fit? 3-4? I mean if we are switching to that then I would look to draft guys like Tryon, Oweh, or Roche instead.
                          You know, I can't quite put my finger on what Staley's going to do either. He and Hill (D-coordinator) were together in Denver under Vic Fangio. Staley's also been in Chicago as well.

Here's an article https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-brandon...fensive-scheme

There are elements of both 3-4 and 4-3. What the Rams, Broncos, and Bears don't have are the typical two larger 4-3 type DE's.
                          I can't figure out if Bosa is playing the 4i position or the SLB/OLB. I imagine he'll be rushing the passer rather than eating up blockers like a 4i does.

Who knows, maybe we're in for something completely different. Staley tries to build his defense around his players.

Comment

Working...
                          X