• Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Here’s Popper mock 4.0:

Round 1, Pick 13: Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
    Some of you will be disappointed to see Darrisaw in this spot. So let me explain.

As I wrote last week, I still see a situation in which Chargers general manager Tom Telesco trades up for Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell. If both the Bengals and Dolphins opt to take offensive playmakers at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively, then Sewell will almost certainly be available at No. 7. The Lions are in that spot right now, and as our Chris Burke has reported, Detroit is open and even eager to trade back. But it is going to take a specific set of circumstances for the Chargers to make this move. Possible. Not particularly likely.

If the 49ers do end up taking Mac Jones at No. 3, then there should be at least one high-caliber quarterback prospect available at No. 7 — either Justin Fields or Trey Lance. Both would probably be available if the Falcons go with Florida tight end Kyle Pitts instead of a quarterback. In that case, the QB-needy teams also will be calling the Lions to move up. And I find it hard to believe the Chargers would be able to outbid one of those teams — like the Patriots at No. 15 — for the Lions’ pick. A team trading up for a quarterback is going to be more willing to part with draft capital because quarterback is the most important position on the field. I do not see the Chargers giving up a future first-round pick for Sewell, but I can see the Patriots giving up a future first-round pick for Lance or Fields.

If Lance and Fields both go to the 49ers and Falcons, that changes things. I think fewer teams will be aggressive in trying to trade up for Jones. So the Chargers, in this scenario, would not have as much competition. Maybe they could move up to No. 7 by giving up this year’s second-rounder (No. 47), or this year’s third-rounder (No. 77) and a 2022 second-rounder. That is a deal I think Telesco considers.

But I am trying to be as accurate as possible, and so I am leaning into the likelier scenario. Jones seems like he will be the pick at No. 3. And so I think at least one of the two other QBs, Fields or Lance, will be there at No. 7.

So the Chargers stick at 13. I could have made a hopeful pick here. Maybe Northwestern tackle Rashawn Slater falls. Or South Carolina cornerback Jaycee Horn. Again, though, I am trying to make an accurate prediction. And my gut tells me that both players are going to be gone by the time the Chargers pick. Same with Sewell and Alabama cornerback Patrick Surtain II.

It is not an ideal scenario for the Chargers. But I think it is the likeliest scenario.

In this case, Telesco should try to trade back and pick up an additional top-100 pick this year. He has never traded back in his eight years as general manager, though. I think he would make the pick at 13 if this is how it shakes out Thursday night.

The Chargers need a left tackle. That is unequivocally the biggest need on their roster. They do not have a chance to compete for the postseason in 2021 if they do not find a capable starter at that position. I cannot put it in any simpler terms.

Darrisaw would be the best tackle on the board. He is a talented prospect with the most prototypical size of any potential first-round tackle. He is stout as a pass protector and athletic and physical as a run blocker. Darrisaw played “down to his competition” at times, as our Dane Brugler described it. But if the Chargers truly believe in this new coaching staff, that weakness is correctable. Darrisaw has the tools to be a starting left tackle in this league.

And I do not see him as a reach here. Arif Hasan’s consensus big board — which aggregates 50 big boards from various evaluators and prognosticators — has Darrisaw pegged as the 15th overall prospect. Value and need align. Lock it in.

Round 2, Pick 47: Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse
    After going with a tackle in the first round, the Chargers will need to address cornerback in the second round. Michael Davis and Chris Harris Jr. are the starters. But Harris will be moving into the slot when the Chargers go to their nickel and dime packages, which will be about 70 to 80 percent of the time. And they need a capable boundary corner to enter the game in those packages. They signed Ryan Smith in free agency, but he mostly has been a special teams contributor in his career. I still like Brandon Facyson’s skill set, and he should benefit from Brandon Staley’s more man-heavy scheme. But the Chargers need more talent at this position.

I love Georgia cornerback Eric Stokes. But I do not think he will fall to No. 47. He could go in the late first. More likely, he will be taken in the first eight to 10 picks of the second round. His physical traits — namely size and speed — are just too tantalizing. In our latest beat writer mock draft, I gave up No. 77 to move up and take Stokes a No. 38. I got a fourth-rounder in return. I get the sense, though, that the Chargers are going to covet their picks this year unless they are trading up for Sewell. This is Staley’s first big opportunity to turn over the roster and target players with his ideal skill sets and makeup. The more picks he has, the more he can influence the roster. I think that is a priority for the organization in this draft.

So what are the options at No. 47? I do not think the Chargers will even consider Kentucky cornerback Kelvin Joseph, who Brugler described as having “immaturity and accountability issues.” Stokes’ teammate Tyson Campbell has intriguing athletic traits, but his ball skills are a concern, and that is not something that typically improves when a player reaches the NFL.

The pick, then, is Melifonwu. I watched some of his tape over the weekend, and there is a lot to like. He is nearly 6-foot-3 but moves really well. He has fluid hips despite his big frame and showcased some impressive long speed. His 40 time checked in at 4.48. Melifonwu has the skill set and measurables to develop into an imposing press-man corner. I think he would be a solid fit in Staley’s scheme and decent value at this spot.

Round 3, Pick 77: Aaron Banks, OG, Notre Dame
    In my previous mocks, I waited until later to take a second offensive lineman. The interior group is particularly deep this year. But the Chargers still need a massive influx of talent up front, even after their success in free agency. And coming away with two potential long-term starters in the first two days of the draft would be a big win for Telesco and Staley. Banks is a big-bodied guard at over 6-foot-5 and 325 pounds. Staley said earlier this month that getting bigger up front was a point of emphasis in free agency. So Banks fits that mold. Telesco’s ties to Brian Kelly and Notre Dame are well documented. Banks has tackle flexibility in a pinch and started 31 games in college.

Round 3, Pick 97: Rashad Weaver, edge, Pittsburgh
    I believe the Chargers will take an edge rusher with one of their four top-100 picks to add to a group that already includes Joey Bosa, Uchenna Nwosu and Kyler Fackrell. I tried to find one at No. 77, but there were not any good options. Waiting until No. 97 makes more sense. Weaver was productive in college with 17 sacks in three seasons. He played his best football as a senior after missing 2019 with a torn ACL, totaling 7.5 sacks and three forced fumbles in nine games. He has outstanding length, standing over 6-foot-4 with 33.5-inch arms, and that frame will give him some position flexibility. He could move up to the line of scrimmage when Staley shifts to a four-man front. Coaches raved about Weaver’s work ethic and character, according to Brugler. “Weaver might not be a dynamic athlete by NFL standards,” Brugler wrote in his outstanding draft guide, “but he is stout at the point of attack with efficient stack/shed skills to be reliable vs. both the pass and the run, which gives him NFL starting potential in different schemes.”

Round 4, Pick 118: Osa Odighizuwa, DL, UCLA
    I mocked Odighizuwa to the Chargers in my Mock 3.0 at this spot, and I am sticking with the pick. The Chargers need defensive line depth behind Linval Joseph, Justin Jones and Jerry Tillery. Bosa, of course, has the size and strength to play on the line, but he will be primarily on the edge in Staley’s defense. Staley is looking for length and flexibility with his defensive linemen, and Odighizuwa proves both. He is under 6-foot-2 but makes up for it with 34-inch arms. Brugler described him as “naturally powerful.” Odighizuwa lined up all over the place for the Bruins, from directly over the center to on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

Round 5, Pick 159: Tre’ McKitty, TE, Georgia
    I think the Chargers should take a tight end with one of their two third-round picks, but I get the feeling they are going to wait on this position. They have Jared Cook on a one-year deal and are really high on Donald Parham. The Chargers need some run-blocking juice in the tight end room, and McKitty will provide that. He is fluid and athletic at 6-foot-4, 246 pounds with the traits to develop into a solid pass-catching option, as well.

Round 6, Pick 185: Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn
    The Rams entered last year’s draft with a hole at free safety. They waited until the sixth round to draft Jordan Fuller, who started 12 games and significantly outperformed his draft slot. He was a key cog in Staley’s league-best defense in 2020. I expect Staley to take a similar approach with filling his need at safety with the Chargers this year. Because he relies on two-safety shells, Staley does not necessarily need elite athletes in his safeties. He prefers high-IQ players with positional flexibility. Sherwood is an ideal fit. Fuller fell in the draft because of his below-average long speed. He ran a 4.68 40-yard dash. Sherwood is in a similar boat after running a 4.74. But he has a lot of the traits Staley is seeking. Sherwood lined up everywhere for Auburn last season — in the box, deep and in the slot. And his football IQ is one of his biggest strengths. “Outstanding eyes and recognition skills, understanding what the opponent wants to do,” Brugler writes. “Directs traffic presnap and gets his teammates lined up.” This pick makes too much sense.

Round 6, Pick 198: Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa
    The Chargers had the worst special teams in the league last season and should be targeting players who can help their coverage units late in this draft. Niemann would be an ideal fit for that role. I mocked him to the Chargers at this pick in my Mock 3.0, and I’m sticking with it. Niemann is a proven tackler with size (6-foot-3) and speed (4.48 40-yard dash). Check, check, check.

Round 7, Pick 241: Avery Williams, CB, Boise State
    Sticking with the theme, Williams was a special-teams monster in college. He finished his time at Boise State with nine special teams touchdowns, five blocked kicks and one forced fumble on kickoff coverage. He is undersized at under 5-foot-9, 183 pounds, but he is absolutely worth seventh-round flier for a team that has struggled on special teams for years.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      Here’s Popper mock 4.0:
      Popper ain't listening...Telesco drafts players, not positions. Popper is like a kid, thinking it has to be LT, cuz that looks like our biggest hole.

He may be right, ultimately, but I don't know that I agree with his reasoning...and I truly can't judge the pick without knowing for sure who else was available, and what we passed up to select Darrisaw.
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I'd love to get Popper's draft picks.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Popper ain't listening...Telesco drafts players, not positions. Popper is like a kid, thinking it has to be LT, cuz that looks like our biggest hole.

He may be right, ultimately, but I don't know that I agree with his reasoning...and I truly can't judge the pick without knowing for sure who else was available, and what we passed up to select Darrisaw.
          I think TT will draft for need. In this case, I think it’ll be BPA at PON rather than BPA because we have a lot of holes. I would rather us trade down if we’re going to draft Darrisaw. The problem is that there’s just not that many true LT in this draft that have the measurements and the experience. I was disappointed when hearing about the other OTs measurements. Little is the only other prospect available if we do decide to trade down in the first. But I would like us to protect Herbert’s blind side.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

I think TT will draft for need. In this case, I think it’ll be BPA at PON rather than BPA because we have a lot of holes. I would rather us trade down if we’re going to draft Darrisaw. The problem is that there’s just not that many true LT in this draft that have the measurements and the experience. I was disappointed when hearing about the other OTs measurements. Little is the only other prospect available if we do decide to trade down in the first. But I would like us to protect Herbert’s blind side.
              Left Tackle is the highest need - we all know that
              CB1 is next

But if say Horn is there at 13 - and he is a better football player than Darrisaw - and its noticeable in their draft player rankings, take Horn and see what LT (Little) you can get in R2. Though, if the pick is Darrisaw at 13 - it makes a lot of sense and will be pleased as I understand the pick. Waddle or Devonta Smith - would not understand at all. Kwity Paye - makes some sense. Not as much as LT or CB - but Edge is needed.

Until I see what Telesco does this year - I truly just do not have faith in him. Just his press conference last week "they zig, we zag". My question to Tom "whats your overall record? " as maybe you shouldn't be zagging as its not working fella

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Left Tackle is the highest need - we all know that
                CB1 is next

But if say Horn is there at 13 - and he is a better football player than Darrisaw - and its noticeable in their draft player rankings, take Horn and see what LT (Little) you can get in R2. Though, if the pick is Darrisaw at 13 - it makes a lot of sense and will be pleased as I understand the pick. Waddle or Devonta Smith - would not understand at all. Kwity Paye - makes some sense. Not as much as LT or CB - but Edge is needed.

Until I see what Telesco does this year - I truly just do not have faith in him. Just his press conference last week "they zig, we zag". My question to Tom "whats your overall record? " as maybe you shouldn't be zagging as its not working fella
                To be fair, have the Ravens been that much better since 2013? I feel like their drafts have been pretty middling since then also.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

To be fair, have the Ravens been that much better since 2013? I feel like their drafts have been pretty middling since then also.
                  Baltimore has made the playoffs 4 times since 2014
                  Chargers have made it twice under Telesco

Chargers are 2-2
                  Ravens 2-4

Valid point that maybe I thought they had more success.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

had a look @the consensus mocks out there....

if you want an OT, then no trade downs.... Teven or Darrisaw (one site only had mention of him once, despite three most popular options/team.... the Bolts @13).

for myself, would pass on the both of 'em, and not sure I would chance a trade down for my choice, Zaven Collins.... could go as early as 15 to NE.

Surtain to Dallas and/or def off the board by 13.... Horn to Az.... team Tommy John ain't goin' that way.... eye don't think.

@47 just can't get behind the board faves of Walker Little and/or Melifonwu.... still hopin' for Stokes, like Daviyon, and Josh Myers might be a bit of a reach, and then there is always Trey Smith by my take.

@77 Hamsah is my target.... near must have in my book, and not willing to chance anything later.... Trey Smith could still be on the board here.

@97 appears to be Tyler Shelvin/Trey Sermon territory, albeit call me crazy as would consider Josh Ball this early and to get LT outta my draft hair.

@118 am an Ambry Thomas guy here, albeit board faves Osa Odighizuwa and/or Elerson Smith could come off the board here, and Divine Deablo could hear his name called this go 'round as well.

@159 can't get behind Simi Fehoko, and am def looking Josh Ball here @the latest.

@185 the name eye see is RB Kylin Hill, albeit might start reaching for the likes of TE Pro Wells here.

@198 Ball is listed as coming off here, but eye've got UDFAs like RT Foster Sarell and CB Nate Hobbs to consider, if no one drops.

@241 they've got Wells going off here, albeit got no problems securing Sarell in the seventh after Hobbs in the sixth.

013) LB Zaven Collins
                    047) CB Eric Stokes, OC Josh Myers, OG Trey Smith
                    077) SS Hamsah Nasirildeen
                    097) RB Trey Sermon, NT Tyler Shelvin
                    118) CB Ambry Thomas
                    159) LT Josh Ball
                    185) TE Pro Wells
                    198) CB Nate Hobbs
                    241) RT Foster Sarell

ps. am signing Brian Poole and would see if Chris Harris is good on his word that he can play outside (corner), and am signing (the dreaded) Villanueva (good enough for DeCosta, no ?)
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                      had a look @the consensus mocks out there....

if you want an OT, then no trade downs.... Teven or Darrisaw (one site only had mention of him once, despite three most popular options/team.... the Bolts @13).

for myself, would pass on the both of 'em, and not sure I would chance a trade down for my choice, Zaven Collins.... could go as early as 15 to NE.

Surtain to Dallas and/or def off the board by 13.... Horn to Az.... team Tommy John ain't goin' that way.... eye don't think.

@47 just can't get behind the board faves of Walker Little and/or Melifonwu.... still hopin' for Stokes, like Daviyon, and Josh Myers might be a bit of a reach, and then there is always Trey Smith by my take.

@77 Hamsah is my target.... near must have in my book, and not willing to chance anything later.... Trey Smith could still be on the board here.

@97 appears to be Tyler Shelvin/Trey Sermon territory, albeit call me crazy as would consider Josh Ball this early and to get LT outta my draft hair.

@118 am an Ambry Thomas guy here, albeit board faves Osa Odighizuwa and/or Elerson Smith could come off the board here, and Divine Deablo could hear his name called this go 'round as well.

@159 can't get behind Simi Fehoko, and am def looking Josh Ball here @the latest.

@185 the name eye see is RB Kylin Hill, albeit might start reaching for the likes of TE Pro Wells here.

@198 Ball is listed as coming off here, but eye've got UDFAs like RT Foster Sarell and CB Nate Hobbs to consider, if no one drops.

@241 they've got Wells going off here, albeit got no problems securing Sarell in the seventh after Hobbs in the sixth.

013) LB Zaven Collins
                      047) CB Eric Stokes, OC Josh Myers, OG Trey Smith
                      077) SS Hamsah Nasirildeen
                      097) RB Trey Sermon, NT Tyler Shelvin
                      118) CB Ambry Thomas
                      159) LT Josh Ball
                      185) TE Pro Wells
                      198) CB Nate Hobbs
                      241) RT Foster Sarell

ps. am signing Brian Poole and would see if Chris Harris is good on his word that he can play outside (corner), and am signing (the dreaded) Villanueva (good enough for DeCosta, no ?)
                      Josh Ball still in play eh?

:what:
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Disco Volante
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2020
                        • Send PM

since then the ravens are 67-45. we are 51-61. id call that significantly better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Disco Volante View Post

since then the ravens are 67-45. we are 51-61. id call that significantly better.
                          Baltimore has been a better run organization from top to bottom. That average of about 2 more wins a year gets you playoff appearances.

Chargers are a very talented team. We just haven’t had our best talent on the field together often. 2018 was the last time.
                          We have begun a new era with our young, progressive, innovative, adaptive coaching staff. The results are yet TBD. I like the brief glimpses into the collective collaboration between coaches, players, and FO. It has been very positive.

Last edited by like54ninjas; 04-28-2021, 09:58 AM.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X