• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    I want to start 1 rookie along the OL (1st/2nd OT) and rebuild the IOL with proven players (Linsley, Feiler, Blythe).
    I still think that Telesco needs to draft a second OL in the first 3 rounds . And one in the later rounds . Bulaga is on the roster this year, his contract becomes easier to release in two years.

I am good with signing two guys though - maybe instead of one Linsley - you can get Feiler/ Blythe or Good/Blythe type arrangement. That Chargers OL needs some damn work

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      I sent a Twitter question to DJ @movetjesticks about this and he replied rather quick that Slater was a "Fantastic fit".
      I still can't post a tweet here from my phone though.
      Nobody knows the Chargers needs better than Daniel Jeremiah. Thats great to read. Where is that Laremy Tunsil picture when you need one

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Screenshot_20210214-152957.png

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

Some pundits are garbage (and have less business than some of us who have watched football 30 years) having their opinions on the internet.
          Leatherwood a fit and Slater not is an abysmal take. One fits any scheme and the other looks close to Fluker 2.0

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I like the idea of putting out a line up on offense that can go from 12 personnel to 11 to 10 to 02, 01, 00 and not have to substitute. You cannot do that without versatile weapons.

Same for defense. Weapons. Inside players and edge players. Safety that can go from back end to box to edge.

Put the opponent in conflict.

The most important part of oline is all 5 stay healthy.
            See KC wheels fall off to end their season.
            Durability is a premium for o-lineman. Rather have a slightly lesser talent than plays all 16 than a player who is not available and that money spent is sitting on the shelf.

Depth at skills positions so you can run your stuff.

You can always go run, screen and play actions and get the ball out quick if opponent is a tough matchup for your oline.
            ​​​​​​but you need weapons that uncover quickly.

​​​​​​IMO, Your mock accounts for that. When all good and healthy on Oline, then you are having a field day. When line is dinged up, you can adjust offensively and still get good work done.
            Not a bad idea, Critty...need a TE, or TWO TE's who can block and catch both for starters...still need some key pieces in O-line...

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I remember Lynn mentioned this OL is not built to come from behind. I think he meant the unit was built to run not to pass pro. I’m curious which one Joe prefers.
              And yet, our QB brought us back in a couple of games and he lead us to a lead that the D blew a couple of other times. I like Turner when he's healthy he's good. I'd see if I could trade Bulaga because of the $$, move Tevi to RT and draft a new LT. Nab a better OC or OG and start fitting them in together. I'd still be trying to draft another OT that could shove Tevi to the swing tackle position. It excites me to think what Herbert would do with a strong OL and a running attack.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                Some pundits are garbage (and have less business than some of us who have watched football 30 years) having their opinions on the internet.
                Leatherwood a fit and Slater not is an abysmal take. One fits any scheme and the other looks close to Fluker 2.0
                Agree, this Thorn guy not up to snuff in my first impression.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

If at #13 or#47 the Chargers draft room deem an OL as BPA then by all means draft that man and do it again if it aligns with your board. But draft for PON and passing on BPA in the top 50, IMO is not the way to go. Once you are toward the middle rds and late rds I suspect it is much harder to determine BPA between a bunch of guys you didn't feel were worthy of top 50 selections. So grab the PON in your cluster.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    If at #13 or#47 the Chargers draft room deem an OL as BPA then by all means draft that man and do it again if it aligns with your board. But draft for PON and passing on BPA in the top 50, IMO is not the way to go. Once you are toward the middle rds and late rds I suspect it is much harder to determine BPA between a bunch of guys you didn't feel were worthy of top 50 selections. So grab the PON in your cluster.
                    We have 5 areas where we can draft so I don't see this as a problem. OT at #13 will not be my first choice if there's #1 or #2 CB there or even some weird fluke that the #1 WR falls to 13. I would trade down in a heartbeat if we can pick up a second rounder and only move down 10 spots. Move down 15 spots and get a second and third rounder. Even with three high oline draft picks and using rookies we probably could move up to mid tier oline.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      ​​​​
                      Preach it brutha !
                      ​​
                      I posted a mock with two carefully selected round three Olinemen + a huge UFA splash move...

and they bitch.

And I am hearing some new, eyebrow raising noise.

1. Rashawn Slater is not a good fit for us, and no other available good-fit round 1 Olineman are slotted for us...@ #13.
                      2. Landon Dickerson is very good. Should we set aside injury risk ? ...@ #45.
                      3. Alex Leatherwood is a good fit for our blocking system...@ #47.
                      4. Deonte Brown, all 6'2" 350# of him, has very good feet...@ #77.
                      5. Royce Newman is a good fit...@ #197.

These are fresh, specific, counter culture Oline ideas.
                      I invite all to study Oline.
                      TT needs our help.
                      Some of the conventional wisdom ideas might just be flat out wrong.
                      Let's get it right this time.
                      I really wish I remember what two pundits were saying this, I want to say Chris Simms and Florio, but someone straight said that “feet are over rated for OL”
                      haha something so crazy like that, you’d think I’d remember the context but I think they were talking about how long it takes speed rushers to go around big tackles. I tend to agree, I prefer big tackles, but suddenly having good quick footwork isn’t very important, idk, very challenging to comprehend
                      I suppose on a man/power scheme it would be more true
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I really wish I remember what two pundits were saying this, I want to say Chris Simms and Florio, but someone straight said that “feet are over rated for OL”
                        haha something so crazy like that, you’d think I’d remember the context but I think they were talking about how long it takes speed rushers to go around big tackles. I tend to agree, I prefer big tackles, but suddenly having good quick footwork isn’t very important, idk, very challenging to comprehend
                        Correct footwork is crucially important in my view.

For example, former long time Bengals Oline coach Paul Alexander recently talked about a conversation he had with Dillon Radunz.

Day 1 Senior Bowl practice, Radunz was not doing well.

Alexander told him he needed to make smaller, quicker steps and everything came together.

Defensive linemen will study and knock offensive linemen around
                        when they don't keep their feet
                        underneath themselves.

Balance. Controlled power.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

IMO, would think you want as many traits as you can get. Good feet, power, sand in your pants, leverage, great awareness, long arms, size, great get off at snap, effort and motor, balance, student of the game, technique, love of the game, great durability and nastiness butt kicking.

I have seen guys with good agility and feet get out quick and then over run their blocking assignment and those great agility scores are not helping when that happens. It is actually hurting you. Timing up the block in space is key there. Right?

How many lineman check all these boxes?
                          How would these traits rank out in importance.
                          I'm putting durability at the top. If you are on the shelf, you are unable to help the team.
                          And then awareness after that. As I think it's awareness on the play that helps time up the blocks well and not allow counter moves, speed, stunts and blitzing to get around you. Then sand in your pants, because if you don't have enough of that then they can just drive you into the QB lap and those great feet aren't doing anything for you. Then I'm looking sIze and power, effort and motor.....I'm like 5 traits deep and I'm still not to great feet.

I think that may be why he said feet are overrated.
                          In a vacuum great feet doesn't equal great blocking. Although some of these traits work together. It's hard to imagine a player with terrible feet having great balance.

:2cents::2cents::2cents:

I gave you 6 cents.
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X