• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

What a novel idea. With the right RT, I believe you have described our offense.
    Again, I'm not arguing that stopping the run isn't important. I believe that with Justin Jones back, a couple of FA IDL, and a better understanding of Staley's defensive scheme... we could be a much better run defense.
    And I'll agree with that.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Am I gonna win a jersey if I'm right ?
      Quick! Buy it before a T-Billy supporter does!

t billy jersey.JPG

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Again, I'm not arguing that stopping the run isn't important. I believe that with Justin Jones back, a couple of FA IDL, and a better understanding of Staley's defensive scheme... we could be a much better run defense.
        The operative word here is "COULD." And I submit that we COULD be EVEN BETTER if we draft a DT AND sign a FA DT...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

But the 16th best run-defense (Bengals) is.
          We need a stud IDL just to get to 16 . IDL, RT, CB - take BPA from those positions at 17.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Justin Jones plus a couple of who? Sign them before the draft and I’ll grant your RT wish. Otherwise, go sign a RT instead: Moses, Reiff, TBrown? Just spitballing … we’ve been weak up the middle of our defense for way too long - a serious beef injection is needed.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

When we look at the positions of need, I think most of us agree that it includes RT, WR (if Mike Williams is not brought back), IDL (even with Jones back), edge (possibly even if Nwosu is back), LB, CB, and punter.

Punter is the only one of those that can very probably be upgraded for a fourth round pick or later. There are probably three punters in this draft that would be a clear upgrade over Long.

But if we look at the other positions, none are easy to upgrade. Generally we have the notion that we should try to address all the weaknesses on our team. But are we better of REALLY addressing some of the weaknesses and living with band-aids at one or two of the remaining positions. So maybe we retain Mike Williams, White, Jones, and Nwosu, then sign some decent IDLs, and then use the first two rounds of the draft to go after the best CB/RT/edge we can land, knowing the one we don’t will be a clear weakness next year.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                  When we look at the positions of need, I think most of us agree that it includes RT, WR (if Mike Williams is not brought back), IDL (even with Jones back), edge (possibly even if Nwosu is back), LB, CB, and punter.

Punter is the only one of those that can very probably be upgraded for a fourth round pick or later. There are probably three punters in this draft that would be a clear upgrade over Long.

But if we look at the other positions, none are easy to upgrade. Generally we have the notion that we should try to address all the weaknesses on our team. But are we better of REALLY addressing some of the weaknesses and living with band-aids at one or two of the remaining positions. So maybe we retain Mike Williams, White, Jones, and Nwosu, then sign some decent IDLs, and then use the first two rounds of the draft to go after the best CB/RT/edge we can land, knowing the one we don’t will be a clear weakness next year.
                  edge: Nwosu. Fackrell. Rumph II. I suggested Derek Barnett UFA Eagles. A depth EDGE-Inside player with run D skills to rotate in with both Bosa and Tillery, and challenge Gaziano, is on my list.

Off LOS LB: Kyzir. Tranq. K9. Niemann (All-Rookie ST). Bongo. Christensen on Futures. Not a PON on my board. Nakobe, a serious upgrade under consideration.

We must exercise "leap of faith" re young players. All needs cannot be fixed at once. Fix some of them well. ORT. DT. DB.

tl;dr. TT will build depth methodically.

IMHO.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

At #17 we probably can draft a true shutdown corner and day 1 starter. RT and Dline are question marks when drafting at #17. Do we want question marks or do we whip out the checkbook there. Receivers are just another target for our QB to play with. Too many of our d players that were drafted last year really didn't contribute or surprise us other than Rumph. We expected at least decent play from Samuel so that's a given. The sixth and seventh round is like trying to eat leftover food you left in the back of the fridge for a week and aren't sure it's safe to eat!

:whistlin:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Next weekend, Aaron Donald is gonna change some minds around here.

He will have Joe choking on his cigar.
                      Is there any DT in this year's draft that is anywhere near quick and dynamic as Donald?

We should consider adding help at DE and NT (both are interior DL positions), but there isn't anyone in this draft as quick and who creates penetration inside anything like Chris Jones and Aaron Donald.

There are a number of power players who can create some penetration, but let's not confuse them with the same level of performance as Jones and Donald.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Is there any DT in this year's draft that is anywhere near quick and dynamic as Donald?

We should consider adding help at DE and NT (both are interior DL positions), but there isn't anyone in this draft as quick and who creates penetration inside anything like Chris Jones and Aaron Donald.

There are a number of power players who can create some penetration, but let's not confuse them with the same level of performance as Jones and Donald.
                        Lockstep.

DeMarvin Leal has been compared to Chris Jones in play style. In talent level, I think not.

No one compares to Aaron Donald. No one. Devonte Wyatt is similar to Corey Liuget. Perrion Winfrey might rise some in Indy too. Both have a bit too much of Tillery in them, but intrigue anyway.

If Evan Neal (never), Charles Cross (maybe), or Bernhard Raimann (probably), are available for us at #17, I am seriously tempted to go ORT.

At Dline, our best hope is a rotation, with improved talent level. All will have holes in their games. At least they will be fresh, energetic, and able to give us a variety of looks.

I am still gripping hard, Steve, and trying to find the best mid round value at Dline. But DB must also be a double dip.
                        Last edited by wu-dai clan; 02-07-2022, 08:03 AM. Reason: typos
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Lockstep.

DeMarvin Leal haa been compated to Chris Jones in play style. In talent level, I think not.

No one compares to Aaron Donald. No one. Devonte Wyatt is similar to Corey Liuget. Perrion Winfrey might rise some in Indy too. Both have a bit too much of Tillery in them, but intrigue anyway.

If Evan Neal (never), Charles Cross (maybe), or Bernhard Raimann (probably), are available for us at #17, I am seriously tempted to go ORT..

At Dline, our best hope is a rotation, with improved talent level. All will have holes in their games. At least they will be fresh, energetic, and able to give us a variety of looks.

I am still gripping hard, Steve, and trying to find the best mid round value at Dline. But DB must also be a double dip.
                          A poor man's Chris Jones sounds like an upgrade for us...

Comment

Working...
                          X