• La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Agree, but in the 2nd round
    If you think Davis lasts until our spot in round 2, I believe you are dreaming. Too many shots at Tug's on a Friday night..........

I will be surprised if he makes it to 17 truth be told........

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

I like Jordan Davis for this:

1:35 mark. Imagine thats K9 unblocked with 1 hole to run through

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

I really like that guy.
        Need to fix problems against the rush.
        Pick him at 17 or NE will do at 21.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          I like Jordan Davis for this:

1:35 mark. Imagine thats K9 unblocked with 1 hole to run through
          It's hard to get too excited about a play where the blocker hardly touched him and made no real effort to get in front of Davis. Not a lot of NFL OL make mental mistakes that badly.

And again, drafting Davis, by itself, would not fix the run D. There are too many other holes. If you want to play run D, you defend all 8 gaps on every play. And Davis, at most, can only protect 2.

What is the excuse all the Davis fans have for his lack of production???

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

I know it's only a beginning but to fix these problems, you need a massive IDL, IMO.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Davis is getting the most attention because of his size and national championship.

This year's DL rankings have a number of biggish guys
              Phidarian Mathis - Alabama
              John Ridgeway - Arkansas
              Travis Jones - Connecticut
              DeVonte Wyatt - Georgia
              Marquan McCall - Kentucky
              Corey Bethley- TCU
              Neil Farrell-LSU

A lot of these guys are getting downgraded because they can't rush the QB.

It is also worth remembering that Jamal Williams was a barely 300 lb 3tech DT when we drafted him. He got bigger and more powerful in an NFL weight room. Ted Washington and Pat Willaims also got a lot bigger after they were drafted.

More than just going for size, we need players who will play with good technique and play the call. No more of the Tillery turning their shoulders and not staying square.
              I don’t remember him being barely 300, i did a brief search and cannot find any verification of that. What did he come in at? All posts I find show him playing at 340+, 6’3”. Those are great NT dimensions, especially with his amazing power bend and how low he could play. he only averaged ~30 - 40 tackles a year or less, but what he did was close off the A gap as an option for rushing and he forced teams to keep an OG in to help C on pass plays and double him and prevent pocket collapse. Old timers here will still remember the chants ringing through the valley “You Can’t Run … You Can’t Run …” - it was glorious.

A 2 down immovable run stuffing monster beast is EXACTLY what the Chargers need to change the dynamic of a pussy ass veggie platter wimp defensive line that gets their teeth knocked in and shoved into their own hall locker any time a team with any balls comes to play. Fuck looking for a NT that is great on 3rd down pass plays - its long past time they get a nose tackle that can play NOSE!

That 180deg change in tone and dynamic across the front 7 is worth Rd1. I defer to the scouts on if that is Davis or another among several good prospects. I would be elated with Davis. if we got a starting pro bowl NT at 17, that is an excellent pick and value. Bell curve math says go for extreme dimension players with high picks because they are more unicornish. Modern football advocates can lick my sack. We just watched 17 games of modern Charger football. Staley said it best before the first snap: “we want to be a line of scrimmage team”. he needs a NT to do that.

NT Rd1
              CB R2
              then continue …
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

like Morgan Moses outta the above.... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/morgan-moses-14476/market-value/

ps. Sportrac thinks he's gonna command a salary 'round $8m/year.... eye think he signs for about $6.5m/year
                Me too. I'm looking for veteran competency through Herbert's Rookie contract.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  We need a FA thread
                  slim pickings for a starting ROT
                  Agree.

We are just spinning our wheels until having some sense of what positions Telesco should target in free agency.
                  My sense is that somewhere in free agency there are a few very good DTs: Telesco only needs to target them and extend a competitive offer.

At no time in the past has Telesco actually found one who wasn't on the downward slide....this is new ground to cover for him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Agree.

We are just spinning our wheels until having some sense of what positions Telesco should target in free agency.
                    My sense is that somewhere in free agency there are a few very good DTs: Telesco only needs to target them and extend a competitive offer.

At no time in the past has Telesco actually found one who wasn't on the downward slide....this is new ground to cover for him.
                    I am using the draft for RT. Get a bookend guy with Slater signed for the next four years. 1st or 2nd round. The bar for RT is Sam Tevi, Storm Norton, an injured Bulaga, I forget some of the other names so it shouldn't be too high of a bar to get a draft pick in here. If you have Pipkins as your back up - OT is pretty solid.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Steve, what are your thoughts on Ridgeway ?? have you seen him play much ??
                      I will throw in my two cents beforehand:

Strong & explosive (first step quickness): high upside. A not too poor man's Javon Kinlaw.
                      raw....too upright at times, needs to better anticipate and anchor against doubles; could use another pass rush move....typically sticks his hand into the guard/centers chest and tries to push him back & then rip him one way. You can see centers really struggle with this at times.

Plays zero tech at Arkansas (which I think takes away a bit from his game): need to watch his film at lower division Illinois state to better see how he projects for the Chargers.

I like him: i would guess he's a 3rd - 4rth round guy.
                      Will need more time to develop than someone like Phidarian Mathis.
                      As high an upside as anyone i have seen.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I want that and have wanted it since Jamal Williams left.
                        Jamal was more than a run stopper though. He could play all three downs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am using the draft for RT. Get a bookend guy with Slater signed for the next four years. 1st or 2nd round. The bar for RT is Sam Tevi, Storm Norton, an injured Bulaga, I forget some of the other names so it shouldn't be too high of a bar to get a draft pick in here. If you have Pipkins as your back up - OT is pretty solid.
                          I bounce around from RT to DT to corner.....outside shot at wr.

Walker might be gone, so that would make it RT or corner;
                          If Chriss/Penning/Walker gone...that would make it a corner back.

I like Walker's versatility....only reason i would consider DT at #17.
                          DeMarvin Leal still might be an option.

Michael Davis or Trey Pipkens: who do you think will be the better player in year 2 with Staley?

Comment

Working...
                          X