• Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

That Denver team was 10th in scoring defense 19.8 ppg
    Miller and Chubb on the edges and plenty of beef in the middle with Wolfe and Harris at ends 285 & 290 lbs. Purcell at NT 328 lbs.
    We need more talent AND size is why I am on the Walker.... and JJ to DE bandwagon even if Nwosu is back.
    We gave up 27 points per game. Give me a defense that holds teams to under 20 points per game, and we will win 12-13 games next year assuming our offense doesn’t regress.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Idk about Stingley, might be too risky, even for me.
      Gotta do the homework. He’s got elite physical tools. 17 is where you can grab solid players or take potential studs who have risks. Derwin was something of an injury risk a few years ago, but he’s a stud. If we walked away with Stingley, I’d be able to get excited for that pick.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        Idk about Stingley, might be too risky, even for me.
        Stingless scares me too. How do you take 2 years off in college ball and then ramp up the effort when you turn pro? I look at current performance as a better indicator than past performance.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Chargers select UGA defensive end in Mel Kiper’s latest mock

Walker led all UGA defensive lineman with 36 quarterback hurries.

By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks Mar 1, 2022, 8:52am PST
          17 CommentsShare this storyPhoto by Dylan Buell/Getty Images
          ESPN’s Mel Kiper just dropped his latest mock draft and the senior draft analyst has the Chargers reinforcing the trenches on the defensive side with a new name many of you may not have seen paired with the team up to this point.

With the 17th-overall pick, Kiper has the Bolts selecting defensive end Travon Walker out of the University of Georgia. Walker goes before two other of his UGA teammates in linebacker Nakobe Dean (Raiders) and defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt (Bills). Fellow Bulldog Jordan Davis did not make it into the first round of Kiper’s mock.

At 6’5 and upwards of 280 pounds, Walker is a built like a perfect 3-4 defensive end for today’s NFL. He possesses a rock-solid build and an extremely physical style of play that takes no prisoners in the run game.
          As I mentioned in my debut mock draft, the Chargers still haven’t fixed their years-long issue defending the run, as they ranked 28th in the league in yards per carry (4.8),” says Kiper. “If you’re looking at a void to fill for a team that is right on the edge of playoff contention, this is a way to do it. The 280-pound Walker could be an ideal fit for L.A.’s 3-4 defense because he’s a good run defender who also has some pass-rush ability. He’s not a two-down player like his former Georgia teammate Jordan Davis; I think this is too high to take a nose tackle with a low ceiling for sacks. Walker had six for the national champs in 2021.

While Walker is not going to be seen as an uber-flexible pass rusher, the guy wins with intense effort and brute strength. He certainly subscribes to “the quickest way from point A to point B is a straight line”-school of thought.

Speaking of effort, take a look at this play below. Walker likely saves a touchdown on this play if he doesn’t decide to haul a** down the field to make the stop.

How about another eye-popping video?

In this edition of “Damn, he’s a dog...”, check out how Walker takes on the winners of this past year’s Joe Moore Award (nation’s best offensive line).

Normally on counters such as this, that first lineman coming through has his ears perked up at the thought of potentially teeing off on an unsuspecting defender who shot too far upfield. In this case, Walker brings the absolute wood against the pulling guard and knocks him off his platform before snatching the running back at the line of scrimmage. If you needed a prime example of how Walker could help the Chargers’ run defense, look no further than this.

In three seasons at Georgia, Walker played in 29 total games. He finished his career with 61 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, an interception, and three pass deflections. He capped with off his career with a six-sack, 7.5 tackle-for-loss campaign where he led all Georgia defensive lineman with 36 quarterback hurries and 56 percent of defensive snaps played.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I’d be good with Walter in the 1st.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              I’d be good with Walter in the 1st.
              Prefacing with understanding if top talent drops - but all things equal
              DL (DE or DT)
              Edge
              RT
              CB

All good for me at 17

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Stingless scares me too. How do you take 2 years off in college ball and then ramp up the effort when you turn pro? I look at current performance as a better indicator than past performance.
                I read what Jeremiah said about STingley and the tape against Chase - but that was two maybe three years ago. Very risky. Health has to be the biggest concern. Trading back and getting Stingley, maybe. But at 17 - I want more a sure thing.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

In Indy,
                  earlier this morning,
                  TT reiterated
                  that the Combine
                  does not move
                  the needle much
                  with regard to LAC
                  draft prospect grades.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Gotta do the homework. He’s got elite physical tools. 17 is where you can grab solid players or take potential studs who have risks. Derwin was something of an injury risk a few years ago, but he’s a stud. If we walked away with Stingley, I’d be able to get excited for that pick.
                    Traditionally, Telesco has chosen studs (or perceived high upside guys) with some risk over solid guys in round #1.

Verrett over Bradley Roby is the clearest example.

I don't think he has changed his basic approach to anything over time.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

We gave up 27 points per game. Give me a defense that holds teams to under 20 points per game, and we will win 12-13 games next year assuming our offense doesn’t regress.
                      Allow an avg less than 20 ppg on D with this offense and we're a top contender.
                      Our biggest problem in 2021 was depth. Let a starter get dinged and we struggled. We need guys that can compete for starting jobs. We all know the positions, some of us have different priorities but I don't see LAC not improving. We're too well set up.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I’d be good with Walker in the 1st.
                        Taking any of the 3 top dlineman possibly available at #17 seems to come with risk:

Ojaba may never develop much beyond what he is;
                        Karlaftis' impressive strength and hand usage might not be enough in the NFL - could be a bit too stiff.
                        Johnson might never be more than jag rushing the passer - too vertical going around the edge.

Walker has many tweener elements to his game: he could gain back 15 pounds and play 3 tech..

I think the corner backs available there will be probably safer picks.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Looks like it's coming from the mouth of the real Bill Parcells !

Comment

Working...
                          X