X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I would go D if Penning is gone with the first 3 picks.. We need speed on D.... DL CB LB then either the best pass catching TE or best RT prospect on the board.
    I just read today that Penning's 99.9 PFF run blocking grade is the highest run blocking grade PFF has ever charted.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I just read today that Penning's 99.9 PFF run blocking grade is the highest run blocking grade PFF has ever charted.
      What’s his grade for penalties?

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post

What’s his grade for penalties?
        Who cares? Penalty avoidance is coachable. His ability is not.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Yeah, you sit their keester on the bench all the time. That is how they avoid it.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Disagree, it’s about being consistently over-matched in pass protection. If he keeps getting beat he’ll continue to lunge and grab. We already have an above average run blocking RT who also can be over-matched in pass pro: Pipkins. Why draft the same guy?

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

If a WR is easily the best player in the board when we pick #17, take him.
              It should be BPA with a little edge given to PON.
              Get talent 1st.
              The wide receiver has to be head and shoulders better than any other position. Not necessarily Jerry Rice/Randy Moss good, but damn close.

Drafting any of the recent Alabama receivers from the past (Cooper/Ruggs/Ridley/Jeudy) would be a big step downwards.

Wilson/Olave/London/Jaimeson/Burke......none of these guys are anywhere close to generational talents.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

No way we go WR at 17 after signing Dub and holding #30 defense. No. Way. BPA goofs can stuff a sock in it, never gonna happen and NEVER SHOUD.

We need a lDefense upgrade. It is not all coming in FA. I’d love them to sign the CB from NE so they can lock in on Edge or DT - where it appears there will be an impact starter at 17 based on most mocks. The only alternative to DT/Edge is RT at 17. We need to make the team better now, not 3 yrs from now when KA and MW contracts run out.

Same Defense, Same RT, another great WR won’t make a lick of difference. Just be transferring targets from KA, MW, Parham, Palmer, Eke etc. Adding depth in WR would be great and fun, but adding STARTERS to Defense and RT are just a tad more relevant to 2022.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The wide receiver has to be head and shoulders better than any other position. Not necessarily Jerry Rice/Randy Moss good, but damn close.

Drafting any of the recent Alabama receivers from the past (Cooper/Ruggs/Ridley/Jeudy) would be a big step downwards.
                  Has to be better than Randy Moss good. #30 Defense. The only reason Offense wasn’t rated even higher than #5 was the right side of the OL. If TT wants to focus on a receiving improvement, TE is the place to look but I’ll bet on Parham to make that leap this year.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Disagree, it’s about being consistently over-matched in pass protection. If he keeps getting beat he’ll continue to lunge and grab. We already have an above average run blocking RT who also can be over-matched in pass pro: Pipkins. Why draft the same guy?
                    That might be the worst comparison between two players pretty much ever.

Pipkins came into the NFL as a very soft OL player that could neither pass block nor run block. He is behind Storm Norton because he is not good enough to beat him out. He is still soft by NFL OL standards only not quite as soft as he once was.

Penning is the best graded run blocker ever charted by PFF and is arguably the most physical and nasty OL in the entire draft. It is difficult to fathom how two players could be any more opposite each other.

Penning also has the movement skills to be a top level pass protector. He just has coachable minor technique issues. If we select Penning, I expect him to win the starting job by week 1 and be a Pro Bowl OL player by the end of his third year.

Multiple mock drafts now have him as a top 10 player selection, a far cry from a 3rd round huge reach like Pipkins.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

But in 2022, they’ll likely play similarly, good to very good at run blocking, some hiccups (at best) in pass pro. Penning has had, what, three years to better his feet/hand punch? It’s not rocket science, if he could do it I would think he already would. Then again, look at Pip that last game: who’d thought he would be so solid? Not me, for one. It was a pleasant surprise (against a very good EDGE D), and I would want a generational RT at 17 (ha!), and there isn’t one in this draft, not that we can get. Until proven otherwise, probably in a year or two if ever, Penning is just another thug RT, which I would love if we didn’t already have one, I’ve never been down on Pipkins’ run blocking, there are some great gifs of him serving up pancakes - against legit NFL defenders.

In 2022, not gonna cry if we pass on Penning, he just ain’t gonna help us over the hump, not in this pass-happy division/league.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        No way we go WR at 17 after signing Dub and holding #30 defense. No. Way. BPA goofs can stuff a sock in it, never gonna happen and NEVER SHOUD.

We need a lDefense upgrade. It is not all coming in FA. I’d love them to sign the CB from NE so they can lock in on Edge or DT - where it appears there will be an impact starter at 17 based on most mocks. The only alternative to DT/Edge is RT at 17. We need to make the team better now, not 3 yrs from now when KA and MW contracts run out.

Same Defense, Same RT, another great WR won’t make a lick of difference. Just be transferring targets from KA, MW, Parham, Palmer, Eke etc. Adding depth in WR would be great and fun, but adding STARTERS to Defense and RT are just a tad more relevant to 2022.
                        In theory, I have zero issue with us going WR at #17. One would think with the fairly recent example of Allen, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams, our front office would realize that having three really good WRs adds something to the offense in terms of pressure being put on opponents and it also gives us quality depth if there is a WR injury, quality depth that we now lack as neither Palmer nor Guyton are anywhere remotely close to as good as Tyrell Williams was for us. CIN also demonstrates this concept with their three very good WRs.

However, none of the WRs in this year's draft are worth being selected at #17 overall. I thought Treylon Burks might have been, but not after a fairly poor showing at the combine in which he showed much less athleticism than I thought he would.

I think there is better value at other positions. I am warming up to the possibility of us taking an edge rusher at #17 overall, but think the CB and DT players likely to be on the board are dicey at #17 in terms of representing good draft value, which keeps bringing me back to Penning as a good fit for the biggest remaining offensive need. I would definitely rather have Travis Jones in rounds 2-3 than Jordan Davis in round 1. The upside may not be quite as high (but Jones quietly tested well at the combine), but the bust potential seems much lower with a player like Jones, who played more snaps, is in better physical condition, who did well at the Senior Bowl, and who played well during the season despite playing for a bad defensive unit. I would also be good with a trade back that nets us an extra second rounder (so we could draft Breece Hall and a defensive player in round 2).

Comment

But in 2022, they’ll likely play similarly, good to very good at run blocking, some hiccups (at best) in pass pro. Penning has had, what, three years to better his feet/hand punch? It’s not rocket science, if he could do it I would think he already would. Then again, look at Pip that last game: who’d thought he would be so solid? Not me, for one. It was a pleasant surprise (against a very good EDGE D), and I would want a generational RT at 17 (ha!), and there isn’t one in this draft, not that we can get. Until proven otherwise, probably in a year or two if ever, Penning is just another thug RT, which I would love if we didn’t already have one, I’ve never been down on Pipkins’ run blocking, there are some great gifs of him serving up pancakes - against legit NFL defenders.

In 2022, not gonna cry if we pass on Penning, he just ain’t gonna help us over the hump, not in this pass-happy division/league.
                          No, they will not play similarly at all. Penning will be better than Pipkins at everything and that gap will widen with NFL coaching and reps. Pipkins is a soft player. Norton is not entirely "unsoft". Penning is a stout and nasty player.

Players make technique corrections at the NFL level all the time. That is the part that can be coached/learned. What Penning has, the combination of superior strength and athleticism, is the part that cannot be coached. He is not only a great run blocker. He has very good movement skills for an OL player--as good or better than Slater's. So, while all NFL draftees carry risk, Penning's skill set indicates that the risk of him flopping at RT is minimal as most RTs do not have anywhere near Penning's movement skills and do not run block as well as Penning does either.

Penning would represent an instant RT upgrade for us the moment he sets foot on the field.

Comment

Working...
                          X