Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Like WAAAAAY out of the box. :smoking:

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      IMO, the best move to make in this draft is to go get a premium player. Find a difference maker.

#17, #79, 2023 1st and M.Davis-CB to the Jets for #4
      Then draft Gardner-CB
      Why would I do that?

you will not find a more impactful player at #17.
      that player at #79 is only a marginally better than the prospect at #123 or #160. The farther down draft the smaller the difference is in talent level. The gems found are more likely because of individual work ethic, prospects who are much better professionally at working at their craft.

Also, the move is because I believe the team will be in the post season next year. So the next year #1 will be closer to bottom of Rd 1. And I doubt that player will impact the team as much as Gardner will.

I also do not think in future years under Staley that the Chargers will have any chance at a top 5 pick without having to give up a lot more than just #79, 2023 1st, and M.Davis to swap the mid 1st Rd #17 pick to go up to #4.

IMO the future is now.
      Go get a premium CB to play opposite Jackson.
      Jackson and Gardner will beg Brandon to both be put on islands so the rest of defense can squeeze the life out of the opponent.

If they make the aggressive move for Gardner.
      There is no doubt in my mind that they will still add competition in camp at right side of OL so it can be better in 2022. I would not be surprised to see veteran OL added before the end of this week.

Bottom line. I just don't think you can find a better player to add to the team than Gardner for short and long term success.

So, Fuck those picks. Add another lockdown CB right now.
      It's a No brainer for me.
      Staley!!! Go get the Sauce. You can handle the smoke.
      This team has difference makers. Herbert, Bosa, Mack, Jackson, James, Ek, Williams, and Allen. This team doesn't have enough regular players and this draft probably doesn't have any huge difference makers but has lots of depth. There isn't a no doubt blue chipper with the production and tape to match the athletic testing. There isn't a Chase Young, a Bosa Brother, a Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Kyle Pitts, Myles Garrett, etc. It does have plenty of guys who could be impact players, but no one is a prospect with no questions. Get as many picks as you can in this draft, especially for a team without depth. I'd rather trade back if possible and get two of these guys than trade up. There are like 10 guys out there that have been mocked to us who could be probowlers. Several will be there at 17 and a few will be there at 20-30.

People wanted to trade up last year, too. Be patient and a good player will be there.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

IMO, 2 #1s and a #3 for one player (non-qb) is risk personified. Better to spread the risk over 3 players. If Gardner fails, we've really hurt ourselves. And I like Gardner and would love to take him at 17.
        All scenarios have risk.

It's not 2 number #1s.

You are swapping #17 for #4.

It's next year unknown number #1.
        This year's #79
        and M.Davis.

How often does Telesco nail his 3rd Rd picks and how soon would that player contribute?

Next year's number one isn't doing anything this year.
        And I bet that player will not be a better player than Gardner.

It's really just two picks of draft capital. #79 and next year's to add Gardner. I don't think Davis is in long term plan for Staley defense. And trading him saves 7m toward the cap that can be used on OL this year.

2 unknown rookies is what you're really losing. One this year, #79. And one next year. Unknown late 1st Rd pick.
        Does Telesco nail both as great starters. Highly unlikely.

So realistically you only need to sign one additional veteran starter next off season to make up for anything lost in this trade.

And if Gardner somehow doesn't succeed at NFL level, which I find very unlikely as he is an exceptional CB talent. Then I would have to find just 1 veteran to make up for this move not planning out.

So, I think it's really just 2 veterans signings as a contingency if the move doesn't pan out well.

IMO, it's a high reward with marginal risk to move up and get the premium player you want.
        They can easily survive a move like this if it doesn't work out.

Telesco track record doesn't say he kills it in draft, it's better he keep these picks and get good players. What his track record says is if he has a top 10 pick, he nails it. After than it's a fucking crapshoot if anything he does works out long term.

Got to risk it to get the biscuit
        Get the Sauce.
        We can handle the smoke.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          Wow Critty, you really are thinking out of the box. I view our DB's as a very good group;

CB: J.C. Jackson
          SLOT: Asante Samuel Jr.
          S: Derwin James
          S: Nasir Adderley
          CB: Michael Davis

I'd like to see better backups for them but that five will be strong.

Fill in the OL and this team will be special.
          I agree about OL. The right side obviously needs attention.

You know I've been flamed many times for wanting to be aggressive and early aggressive. Wanted to move on from Rivers earlier and got flam d for that. When I wanted Burrow when it was only halfway through his college year at LSU. I started posting he should be the target trade up and get him.
          The first to slam me said he isnt even worth a 1st. Other were still wanting to keep trying with Rivers. Some talked about Burrow not beating out the QB at Ohio St. Then when it changed to okay he is worth a 1st. It was he won't be #1 overall, you don't have to trade up to get him. And then finally it was okay he is consensus number 1, but he benefits from the LSU talent he will be average in NFL. Well.......turns out my early bet on the kid was a successful position to take.

I've never had an issue going out on limb early and taking a risky position. It works in stocks and crypto too. Fuck the volatility and short term ups and downs.
          Big early bets on long term plays.

Scared money makes no money.

Big bet. Trade up for the Sauce our lockdown CB for next decade.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

This team has difference makers. Herbert, Bosa, Mack, Jackson, James, Ek, Williams, and Allen. This team doesn't have enough regular players and this draft probably doesn't have any huge difference makers but has lots of depth. There isn't a no doubt blue chipper with the production and tape to match the athletic testing. There isn't a Chase Young, a Bosa Brother, a Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Kyle Pitts, Myles Garrett, etc. It does have plenty of guys who could be impact players, but no one is a prospect with no questions. Get as many picks as you can in this draft, especially for a team without depth. I'd rather trade back if possible and get two of these guys than trade up. There are like 10 guys out there that have been mocked to us who could be probowlers. Several will be there at 17 and a few will be there at 20-30.

People wanted to trade up last year, too. Be patient and a good player will be there.
            Agree 100%.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

I agree about OL. The right side obviously needs attention.

You know I've been flamed many times for wanting to be aggressive and early aggressive. Wanted to move on from Rivers earlier and got flam d for that. When I wanted Burrow when it was only halfway through his college year at LSU. I started posting he should be the target trade up and get him.
              The first to slam me said he isnt even worth a 1st. Other were still wanting to keep trying with Rivers. Some talked about Burrow not beating out the QB at Ohio St. Then when it changed to okay he is worth a 1st. It was he won't be #1 overall, you don't have to trade up to get him. And then finally it was okay he is consensus number 1, but he benefits from the LSU talent he will be average in NFL. Well.......turns out my early bet on the kid was a successful position to take.

I've never had an issue going out on limb early and taking a risky position. It works in stocks and crypto too. Fuck the volatility and short term ups and downs.
              Big early bets on long term plays.

Scared money makes no money.

Big bet. Trade up for the Sauce our lockdown CB for next decade.
              I think it’s less about wether or not Sauce will be good, I think he will be very good at the next level, and more about what does the roster actually need. Staley and co just sunk a large amount of money into a lockdown CB in Jackson, they really like Davis’ size against the receiving TE that we have to face and he’s much more suited to being a CB2 compared to the CB1 they asked him to be last year and they just spent a second rounder on Asante who had a very solid rookie year outside the concussions. Investing all the capital that you suggested just to get an upgrade at CB2 simply isn’t worth it from a roster building perspective. It has nothing to do with Sauce as a player. We have RT being held down by Storm and Pipkins right now, Jaimes I guess is the starting RG, Rumph is the 3rd edge behind Mack and Bosa, we have no backup OC, and our overall DB depth is very lacking. This draft is more about filling out roster depth then it is about needing a truly impactful player. Having said that I still think there will be impact players available at 17, just not at CB. WR, EDGE, and OT will all have impactful players available at 17 that would have a larger impact on this roster than an upgrade at CB2 would, with none of the cost associated with moving up. Again, love Sauce as a prospect but moving up for him isn’t the best move for the roster as a whole IMO.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I'm sure they will get a solid player at #17.
                I understand others not wanted to force anything or risk anything. And to use the picks to patch up areas of need. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in wanting to do that. I cannot argue against that.

I just view it different.
                I think Gardner will be a top 10 CB in this league sooner than later and easily worth risk to trade up to get him. I think as a rookie he will be a Top 25 CB for sure. Where M.Davis will never ever be even a top 30 CB in the league. To me Davis ceiling is maybe #40th best CB in NFL. I think Gardner ceiling can be Top 3 CB in the league. So, I am getting a player that is immediately twice as good as the current CB2 by replacing Davis with Sauce.

QBs will hold the ball a bit longer getting sacked and strip sacked. There will be more interceptions and less TDs allowed with Gardner over Davis. Just think this move helps win games just as much as using #17 on OL will. Plus I think they can easily sign a veteran OL compete in right side and still be improved there.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

In French, we say :« Il en fume du bon ! »

It's that how you feel about Brandon Staley.
                  Because I guarantee you this is a type of move he would have no issue making.
                  He can handle the smoke.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Sorry Critty, this time I'm with the bearded one. I agreed with you regarding Burrow but, we have a pretty solid defensive backfield now and wouldn't want to see them spending a lot of capital on it at this point. I think we will be able to land a solid CB at 17 if that's what they want. But, the right side of the OL must be fixed. I think we already missed on the FA's that play ROT so we either trade or draft one.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      Sorry Critty, this time I'm with the bearded one. I agreed with you regarding Burrow but, we have a pretty solid defensive backfield now and wouldn't want to see them spending a lot of capital on it at this point. I think we will be able to land a solid CB at 17 if that's what they want. But, the right side of the OL must be fixed. I think we already missed on the FA's that play ROT so we either trade or draft one.
                      No worries.
                      just would like to have 2 lockdown CB's.
                      D.Jeremiah has Sauce as his #4 overall prospect and best CB in the draft. I agree with him. And like the idea of adding the #1 CB in draft.

If pick is OL at #17. That may be the 5th OL taken at that point.

The trade up, even if they use it on OL, likely means they get the #1 OL on their board.

I'll be on this limb alone.
                      Stay aggressive. Go for it!
                      Stalesco, trade up to #4 and get your guy.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I'm sure they will get a solid player at #17.
                        I understand others not wanted to force anything or risk anything. And to use the picks to patch up areas of need. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in wanting to do that. I cannot argue against that.

I just view it different.
                        I think Gardner will be a top 10 CB in this league sooner than later and easily worth risk to trade up to get him. I think as a rookie he will be a Top 25 CB for sure. Where M.Davis will never ever be even a top 30 CB in the league. To me Davis ceiling is maybe #40th best CB in NFL. I think Gardner ceiling can be Top 3 CB in the league. So, I am getting a player that is immediately twice as good as the current CB2 by replacing Davis with Sauce.

QBs will hold the ball a bit longer getting sacked and strip sacked. There will be more interceptions and less TDs allowed with Gardner over Davis. Just think this move helps win games just as much as using #17 on OL will. Plus I think they can easily sign a veteran OL compete in right side and still be improved there.
                        No doubt Gardner will be very good.
                        But... we just signed our #1 CB in JC Jackson. #2 CB will be ASJ in the slot (often guarding a team's 2nd best WR). Davis may never be a Top-40 CB... but we don't need the league's 30th best CB to cover another team's 3rd best WR... Davis will do just fine.

If anything, I'd rather the Chargers trade back and get some extra picks for depth... CB, EDGE, WR, LB, S, RB....
                        IMO, we have just 1 hole on the roster... RT. I'm going RT in the 1st round.
                        Starting RG and back-up center in free agency... we're good.

Personally, I'd save next year's 1st rounder to replace Tillery.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                          Fluent in Sarcasm
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Iowa
                          • Man of the People
                          • Send PM

2 lockdown CBs would be great. Taking Jameson at 17 and getting to watch more Herbie long balls would also be great.

Comment

Working...
                          X