• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
    Don't draft a fucking punter in the 3rd. There's like 5 good or better punters coming out this year. Get one in the 7th.
    Good yes better no. I'd prefer a late pick on a punter as well.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You don’t cut Bulaga last summer because it hurts your cap space due to his guarantees, which means you lose more money cutting him than keeping him. Now that all of those guarantees are gone, he’ll be cut.
      There was still a chance he might have been a little bit healthy. Not much of one, but given the other choices, I think they wanted to see if it had panned out.

Now, it is just pure luck if it does.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think you have to evaluate Araiza compared to the rest of the punters - what is the gap between him and the next best punter

Ty Long was, net wise, the worst punter in the NFL or very close to it. I think a lot depends on what Telesco does in free agency - both brining back key players and who he signs
        Remember that net punt includes the poor punt coverage. I'm not saying Long is that great, but his gross average is middle of the pack or better in each of his seasons.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think you have to evaluate Araiza compared to the rest of the punters - what is the gap between him and the next best punter

Ty Long was, net wise, the worst punter in the NFL or very close to it. I think a lot depends on what Telesco does in free agency - both brining back key players and who he signs
          How much time post snap do college punters have to kick the football vs. the NFL?
          If the answer is less, then how might that effect the moon shots Araiza gets off?

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You don’t cut Bulaga last summer because it hurts your cap space due to his guarantees, which means you lose more money cutting him than keeping him. Now that all of those guarantees are gone, he’ll be cut.
            We had cap space, I wouldn't have given him any additional cash above his guarantee.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

Question does playing next to Joey Bosa change the dynamics of Jordan Davis' game and make both players more effective, meaning the sum is greater than the part in regard to the Dline???

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

How much time post snap do college punters have to kick the football vs. the NFL?
                If the answer is less, then how might that effect the moon shots Araiza gets off?
                The new top teams have icewater in their veins FG kickers and we need one too... in this draft IF we could draft the best FG kicker in this draft with as high as a 4th round pick... COOL!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Don't draft a fucking punter in the 3rd. There's like 5 good or better punters coming out this year. Get one in the 7th.
                  Not accurate. Araiza is the best of the group, and I don't think it's even close..

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Not accurate. Araiza is the best of the group, and I don't think it's even close..
                    If Araiza went anywhere other than SDSU no one here would be clamoring for him the the third round.

Who's the second best P prospect this year? Where is his average slot? What's his net punting vs Araiza?

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

If Araiza went anywhere other than SDSU no one here would be clamoring for him the the third round.

Who's the second best P prospect this year? Where is his average slot? What's his net punting vs Araiza?
                      If you think you can use him as a field position weapon and bury your opponents consistently inside the twenty yard line then he might be worth a third rounder. Getting a star punter for the next 10-15 years is also a bonus.

:thinking:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

There was still a chance he might have been a little bit healthy. Not much of one, but given the other choices, I think they wanted to see if it had panned out.

Now, it is just pure luck if it does.
                        He should retire at this point. I don’t blame him like others do for stealing a paycheck since injuries happen and he has no history of this.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Know what? I'll concede that what you're saying is correct. And that the 3rd round is too high to go.

I've watched Matt Araiza, though, and see the kind of football player he is.

He's unafraid to stick his nose in on a tackle.

He can place kick really well, if called upon. Not the guy you want making the 55 yard attempt as time expires on the clock, probably, but would absolutely serve as a quality reserve if the starter got nicked.

Qualified to do kick offs, and not a liability as a tackler. He plays unafraid. Reminds me of Pat McAfee

None of the Top 5 rated punters this year stand out to me, except Western Kentucky's John Haggerty, who's 6-5, 230 and might really take off with the benefit of some pro coaching by anyone other than George Stewart.

Comment

Working...
                          X