• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman
    Baylor's Kalon Barnes re-takes the crown as fastest of the day with a 4.29.

2 mins ago 4.31 for Tariq Woolen. He was moving.

14 mins ago 4.57 for Kyler Gordon is disappointing if it holds. I expected him to be in the 4.3s, if not higher.

21 mins ago Strange run from Ahmad Gardner. 4.52 is a solid time but it really looked like he was grinding. Never looked comfortable.
    I hope Gardner 40 time causes him to fall to #17.
    Or Stingley foot injury causes him to fall to #17.

Either happens and Telesco better draft them.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I hope Gardner 40 time causes him to fall to #17.
      Or Stingley foot injury causes him to fall to #17.

Either happens and Telesco better draft them.
      He bettered his time. Stingley dealing with a Lisfranc Injury is not good news for him. That is a lingering injury.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Interesting thought from The Athletic
        The combine is a physical grind. But it also takes a toll on players mentally. A scout once told me that his club crosses off more players from their lists because of lackluster interviews than what happens during on-field drills.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Interesting thought from The Athletic
          It is more about medicals, and who has it between the ears with a work ethic. Many of them are lacking one or both.
          Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 03-06-2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

McDuffie looks like a solid choice at CB for the Bolts too.
            Although McDuffie should ace the on-field portion, his interview skills might be even better. His authenticity and confidence will engage the room, but after coaches put him on the whiteboard, his analytical, process-based mind should win them over.

I’ll let McDuffie describe his process playing cornerback:

“First get your call and understand what the coaches are bringing in and check the formation the offense is giving you. I relay that the other defensive backs and then talk to the linebackers. It’s a huge communication process out there.

“Next, I go through my checklist. You understand what leverage the receiver is going to give you compared to the leverage in the defense you’re playing. You understand that if it’s a cover-3, you might have to midpoint one-and-two. If it’s cover-4, you might have to key two-to-one.

“After that, it’s just playing and understanding situational football. If it’s 3rd-and-1, they could run or throw. If they throw, what are they going to give you? They’re going to give you a short route like a slant or a curl. If it’s third-and-long and you’re in cover-2, maybe sink a little more. Sink to about 15-18. Understanding the situation gives me a head start.

“The little things are important, like understanding what the offensive coordinator likes to call and what the quarterback likes to read. And at the end of the day, it comes down to fundamental football. You vs. the receiver. If I’m in man-to-man, I’m getting the ball, I’m getting the interception.”

If you have seen McDuffie play, a concise process like what he laid out shouldn’t be a surprise.

Physically quick? Check. Mentally quick? Check.

With eight defensive backs drafted in the past five years, Washington’s secondary under former coach Jimmy Lake has been a feeder program for the next level — and it’s about to add two more with McDuffie and Gordon. The Huskies’ defensive backs room harps on the details and being versatile in coverage. They run a lot of man-to-man and press-bail cover-3. They have run cover-4 that switches to cover-2. Sometimes one side of the field is in man while the other side is a quarters look with cover-2.

“I feel like in our defense we were constantly having multiple things going on, and that really helped,” McDuffie said. “Going to the next level, I know they have a lot of double-play calls within the defense. Based on a bunch, you might play cover-2, but if empty you might play cover-6 or cover-3.”

McDuffie is already in the CB1 conversation for some teams, and his performance at the combine — both with what we can see (on-field testing) and what we don’t (team interviews) — should solidify that.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

He bettered his time. Stingley dealing with a Lisfranc Injury is not good news for him. That is a lingering injury.
              If Stingley is there at#17. I take him without a second thought.
              He doesn't have a career ending type injury. Just has to be careful to not rush back and make sure it's 100%. If I have to sit him all 2022 to be sure he is ready for 2023, then I do it.

The guy when healthy covered Jmarr Chase like a blanket in practice at LSU There aren't many players on the planet that have that type of ability.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                Gotta respect LT's opinion.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I'm not on the Stingley bandwagon. Reduced production last two years plus a Lifrance? Not good.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I'm not on the Stingley bandwagon. Reduced production last two years plus a Lifrance? Not good.
                    Two words: Verrett.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Looking at the post above yours, DTs in the first are high risk. Get proven FA DTs and save the 1st round draft capital. Wyatt in the 2nd would be great.
                      Any outrageously talented player available to us early has to be considered.
                      Staley wants to enhance what Herbert and D stars Bosa, DJ are able to do in 2022 and on. The most obvious positions likely to start and play a lot of snaps are 1, RT 2. CB 3. DT or Edge if we can get a very good- great player. We need to balance talent vs PON.
                      For me it's one of the top CBs or Edge at 17.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

If Stingley is there at#17. I take him without a second thought.
                        He doesn't have a career ending type injury. Just has to be careful to not rush back and make sure it's 100%. If I have to sit him all 2022 to be sure he is ready for 2023, then I do it.

The guy when healthy covered Jmarr Chase like a blanket in practice at LSU There aren't many players on the planet that have that type of ability.
                        I'd take Gardner or McDuffie.ahead of Stingley. If Stinger is there at 49 I'd be tempted to double dip CBs.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

Gardner has such strong flairs on both feet when he runs. lol Looks kind of funny. Probably has size 15 feet. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X