• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    No way to tell before FA's get signed or re-signed.
    Assuming our big FA's get re-signed...

1a OT Charles Cross
    1b CB Trent McDuffie
    1c CB Roger McCreary
    didn't have this guy in my list, but he does get mid first round consideration in some fan base mocks.

dude is a tough read.... lots to like and a bit to be wary of.... he's got day two value but day one talent.... question is does he have 17 overall value/talent ??

he might not be your relied upon lock/shutdown corner, but he might be your No. 2 corner, and he might make the Pro Bowl as your cover corner.

he's got inside out (and perhaps even fs) versatility, you can leave him on an island, he's got production numbers, he's consistent and has prototypical CB size w/a starter's skill set and mentality to match, and has a William Jackson/Davon House NFL compare.

pundits point out that he is not long, w/an inch or two shorter arms than some of the other bandied about first round corners, which in theory may shorten his odds w/the proverbial 50/50 balls, but.... dude is a baller.... w/good pre snap and route recognition, and still w/some upside/development in his equation.

he does have mixed reviews when it comes to his tackling and long speed, and he did have some troubles w/Jameson Williams, and did not get the Treylon Burks assignment against Arkansas.

seems a very tempting late first/early second round talent, who can man up in the slot or on the boundary, albeit he smacks of a need pick to me @17 ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Maybe 17 is too rich for Penning? Regardless, confident it would work out (assumption on my part, excuse me).
      This all could have been avoided and for lesser cost
      If Telesco had identified RT a higher priority
      Took honest evaluation of Bryan Bulaga's health
      And addressed it either in free agency (left money on the table)
      OR the Draft.

Don't make a habit of saying should have taken, X Y Z instead of U
      Could have taken UNI (University OF Northern Iowa) Spence Brown instead of Jordan Palmer
      Brown (considered a project) when drafted 93rd overall by the Buffalo Bills
      Is now the Bills starting RT not just flipping pancakes
      Go back and watch tape of RT Brown and LT Penning playing together

Oh, but it gets better
      Turns out they have one hell of a weightlifting program
      Spencer went from benching 250lbs to 500lbs
      adding 100lbs of muscle from time he entered program
      Trained pre-draft with Joe Thomas

The Offensive Line Coach is a Duck
      Ryan Clayton played offensive line for Chip Kelly, LT, LG and RG
      Ducks beat Wisconsin with JJ Watt and Russell Wilson in 2012 Rose Bowl (remember it well)
      Lost in 2011 BCS Championship Game but won the 2013 Fiesta Bowl
      So, these Iowa farm boys are getting fed well, coached well and becoming a pipeline for Offensive Lineman in the NFL

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

I just have to wait for free agency to conclude before I can think about 17 in April. I hope that we fill one or two pressing needs so we can eliminate them from early draft consideration. This will hopefully clearly define what needs we have early. In my mocks right now I jump all over with OT, CB, DT, Edge, IDL.......whoever is staring at me at 17.

But right now it's wide open. I would love to see who the fallers are come draft day.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

curious 'bout Travon Walker, as Ninj had raised the flag on him, and others here have followed in kind.

apparently he can play outside in, from DE/6T to 1T.... he's listed @275 lbs, but some project he could go up to 310 lbs, and without losing much of his athletic profile.

he's versatile and was team captain @Georgia, has a hellah quick get off and has the wheels to run down opposing QBs.

he does play alongside NT Jordan Davis, of which always gives me pause as to how much an added benefit that might be ?? he has dropped into coverage some, but don't really have any reason to believe he'll be any better than Bosaesque @that, and also @times wonder if he might even be Tilleryesque in terms of wrapping up the QB ?? he didn't exactly show out against Alabama, and one service referred to him as "functional," which isn't too far beyond serviceable me suspex ?? his NFL compare is Emmanuel Ogbah, and he is versatile, but the query is he more elite athlete than generational football talent ?? when looking @his production and reading 'bout his "phone booth quickness," not to mention the question as to whether he'd be an ED or 4i for us, just think there's too much projection involved for a first rounder, let alone a mid first rounder.... for myself, not willing to take the gambit on his upside, as suspect he'll eventually best be suited as a 300 lbs something IDL.
          First of all, your comment reeks of a group-think accusation, which is unappreciated. Furthermore, not true. Ninja touts a lot of players that I don’t like, and it wasn’t he that got me on the Trevon Walker train, it was his tape. I realize you’re not a fan of judging players based on watching their actual play, but I am. Many others are, too. Without judging a player’s actual tape, all you got are the opinions of others. To me, that’s the epitome of group-think. Ninja isn’t the only source of information. But if you only hang out in this forum and don’t do your own work, you might think he is. That’s not to say his opinions are invalid. He’s right a lot because he puts in the work.

For me, Trevon came out of nowhere this season. His power at the POA is undeniable. He is an athletic freak for his size (6’4, 275)—he can run well, can drop into coverage, gets his hands up to bat balls, long arms, punishes blockers, uses leverage, maintains the edge, relentless motor, collapses the pocket, inside/outside versatility, great against the run. Stout, tough, and gritty—that’s what we need. His ability to keep QBs from escaping the pocket is exactly what we need against guys like Mahomes.
          Last edited by Bolt Dude; 01-19-2022, 08:52 AM.
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Dane Brugler just came out with updated mock draft - pre Senior Bowl -

17. Los Angeles Chargers — Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Do the Chargers make the playoffs if they receive better play at right tackle over the final month of the season? Penning has a massive frame (6-7, 329, 35-inch arms) with the athletic footwork and competitive chops to develop into a Pro Bowl-level player.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

First of all, your comment reeks of a group-think accusation, which is unappreciated. Furthermore, not true. Ninja touts a lot of players that I don’t like, and it wasn’t he that got me on the Trevon Walker train, it was his tape. I realize you’re not a fan of judging players based on watching their actual play, but I am. Many others are, too. Without judging a player’s actual tape, all you got are the opinions of others. To me, that’s the epitome of group-think. Ninja isn’t the only source of information. But if you only hang out in this forum and don’t do your own work, you might think he is. That’s not to say his opinions are invalid. He’s right a lot because he puts in the work.

For me, Trevon came out of nowhere this season. His power at the POA is undeniable. He is an athletic freak for his size (6’4, 275)—he can run well, can drop into coverage, gets his hands up to bat balls, long arms, punishes blockers, uses leverage, maintains the edge, relentless motor, collapses the pocket, inside/outside versatility, great against the run. Stout, tough, and gritty—that’s what we need. His ability to keep QBs from escaping the pocket is exactly what we need against guys like Mahomes.
              Going up against Evan Neal (possible #1 pick), his hand usage and ability to sustain himself at the POA was impressive. One time, he seemed to rag doll Neal on a run play over guard that was then bounced outside. Very Bosa like at the edge regarding the run.

I think everyone's question about Travon Walker is his pass rush: i see nothing watching him off the edge or over a tackle spot. He's not explosive, suddenly doesn't use his hands any differently than as if it is a running play, has zero counters, and i don't have any clue on him running the arc & bending. Sure he runs well, but so did Bud Dupree, who took forever to become a consistent pass rusher and then, once he 'got it, suddenly left Pittsburgh.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                Dane Brugler just came out with updated mock draft - pre Senior Bowl -

17. Los Angeles Chargers — Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Do the Chargers make the playoffs if they receive better play at right tackle over the final month of the season? Penning has a massive frame (6-7, 329, 35-inch arms) with the athletic footwork and competitive chops to develop into a Pro Bowl-level player.
                Trevor Penning at this point is like your 3rd or 4rth option for the prom: after getting rejected three or four times, you might come around to asking her (him).
                You won't be giddy.

Maybe he'll show something at the Senior Bowl that will make you very happy to select him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

A realistic group of options for #17 would be something like:

Oline: Penning, Green
                  Dline: Walker, Davis, Ojabo, Leal
                  cb: McDuffie, Elam, D. Hill
                  wr: Williams, Burks, Wilson

I probably missed one or two. Not too many people.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Going up against Evan Neal (possible #1 pick), his hand usage and ability to sustain himself at the POA was impressive. One time, he seemed to rag doll Neal on a run play over guard that was then bounced outside. Very Bosa like at the edge regarding the run.

I think everyone's question about Travon Walker is his pass rush: i see nothing watching him off the edge or over a tackle spot. He's not explosive, suddenly doesn't use his hands any differently than as if it is a running play, has zero counters, and i don't have any clue on him running the arc & bending. Sure he runs well, but so did Bud Dupree, who took forever to become a consistent pass rusher and then, once he 'got it, suddenly left Pittsburgh.
                    I see your point re: pass rush.

I might be projecting a little based on Walker’s physical traits. But I do think he’s explosive, just more so at the POA than around the arc.

Walker’s play style isn’t glamorous; he’s not a speed rusher and I’m fine with that. Most of those speed rushers suck against the run because they sacrifice stout for spring.

I want a run defense. Period. Playing 2 high safeties already bolsters our pass D. We need a DL that can defend the run while the secondary does their thing.

Walker defends the run as well as any edge player in the draft. Plus he keeps the QB contained, forcing him to throw from a diminishing pocket, which prevents QBs (like Mahomes) from escaping into space and creating throwing windows. That’s huge for a D that plays with an extra man in the secondary. Walker may not produce a ton of sacks, but I guarantee he’ll help the secondary produce interceptions.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Ninja.......I think you got complimented and slammed in the same paragraph..........:Beer1:

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I see your point re: pass rush.

I might be projecting a little based on Walker’s physical traits. But I do think he’s explosive, just more so at the POA than around the arc.

Walker’s play style isn’t glamorous; he’s not a speed rusher and I’m fine with that. Most of those speed rushers suck against the run because they sacrifice stout for spring.

I want a run defense. Period. Playing 2 high safeties already bolsters our pass D. We need a DL that can defend the run while the secondary does their thing.

Walker defends the run as well as any edge player in the draft. Plus he keeps the QB contained, forcing him to throw from a diminishing pocket, which prevents QBs (like Mahomes) from escaping into space and creating throwing windows. That’s huge for a D that plays with an extra man in the secondary. Walker may not produce a ton of sacks, but I guarantee he’ll help the secondary produce interceptions.
                        Interesting.

At the very least, you'd get a guy that you probably could rotate to most positions on the defensive line, keeping everyone fresh: particularly Bosa & Nwosu (if resigned).
                        Those things matter in the 4rth quarter.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Interesting.

At the very least, you'd get a guy that you probably could rotate to most positions on the defensive line, keeping everyone fresh: particularly Bosa & Nwosu (if resigned).
                          Those things matter in the 4rth quarter.
                          Exactly. Both Walker and Bosa have inside/outside versatility, which means Staley can get creative with our fronts.

Imagine lining up Bosa and Walker on the same side and running stunts and games. It would create havoc for OL schemes because both are stout and quick. Both can bullrush, defend the run, or drop into coverage as well. A heavy DL can clog the middle while Nwosu gets 1 on 1s on the other side.

Comment

Working...
                          X