• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    No way to tell before FA's get signed or re-signed.
    Assuming our big FA's get re-signed...

1a OT Charles Cross
    1b CB Trent McDuffie
    1c CB Roger McCreary
    I second the Charlie Cross selection.

If he falls to the Chargers, you almost have to ignore how the defense was a sieve last year.
    My comp is Rashawn Slater.....his footwork and balance is incredible.

Then get a cb in the 2nd round: still instant starters will be available there.

Another OT / CB for TT - then get your DT

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I second the Charlie Cross selection.

If he falls to the Chargers, you almost have to ignore how the defense was a sieve last year.
      My comp is Rashawn Slater.....his footwork and balance is incredible.

Then get a cb in the 2nd round: still instant starters will be available there.

Another OT / CB for TT - then get your DT
      Agree. If Cross (somehow) falls to 17 he’d be the BPA at a position of need.

I feel the same about Ekwonu.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Just my two cents and why I’d take Penning over them because he is a much better fit, plug and play RT.

Cross is a Left Tackle. Smooth mirror and athletic who can cover ground easily but is not powerful run blocker who doesn’t show me nasty.

Ekwonu is opposite, he is nasty, pancakes guys on the interior, looks to bulldoze anything or anyone standing in his way, but he is strictly a RG.

Specific traits define a position, they all have their own, but only Penning is a true blue chip RT.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Ghost, gotta tell you.... don't watch a lotta tape, and.... Jolt might be right.... not sure that was first round film ??

yeah, he seemed to maintain leverage against the man opposite him, and seemed to be pretty good at getting/staying under the opposing lineman's pads.... he also commanded attention, w/the back chipping him or staying in to help out, and it wasn't uncommon for another lineman to slide over to offer help, and....

his pursuit left alot to be desired on a play or coupla few, and he made some plays, but not sure he was pressing the issue more oft than not, and there is a pressing question: was he a backup for a reason @Georgia ??

AJ would love his production, and personally do love his intangibles, and.... gonna be watching how he pans out during the draft process and as more of the talking heads weigh in on things.
          That's cool. We just differ on value. I saw alot of good things in his game.

In truth, I have true doubts if Johnson be there at #17, when the Chargers select. But I am going one of two ways: EDGE, DT, CB or CB, DT, EDGE in the first three Rounds. I've already run a couple hundred sims and that's how I see things shaking out.

In addition: I am letting Linval Joseph go and signing Akiem Hicks to two year deal.

Hicks is leaving Chicago, wants one last deal and Coach Staley has been keeping tabs on Hicks.

Let's move to the highlights.

#JermaineJohnson

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Just my two cents and why I’d take Penning over them because he is a much better fit, plug and play RT.

Cross is a Left Tackle. Smooth mirror and athletic who can cover ground easily but is not powerful run blocker who doesn’t show me nasty.

Ekwonu is opposite, he is nasty, pancakes guys on the interior, looks to bulldoze anything or anyone standing in his way, but he is strictly a RG.

Specific traits define a position, they all have their own, but only Penning is a true blue chip RT.
            One of Penning's weaknesses is the ability of defenders to go low while bending the corner.
            Its the same thing that gave/gives Pipkens fits (& early in his NFL career, Kolten Miller).

Penning gave up a sack against S. Illinois by failing to switch off on a DT coming around the edge.....that should never happen at that level for any stud OT.
            He also would get chip help on occasion against N. Dakota State - not to my liking there.

I don't think Penning is a plug and play RT/LT. He'll need time to develop.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

That's cool. We just differ on value. I saw alot of good things in his game.

In truth, I have true doubts if Johnson be there at #17, when the Chargers select. But I am going one of two ways: EDGE, DT, CB or CB, DT, EDGE in the first three Rounds. I've already run a couple hundred sims and that's how I see things shaking out.

In addition: I am letting Linval Joseph go and signing Akiem Hicks to two year deal.

Hicks is leaving Chicago, wants one last deal and Coach Staley has been keeping tabs on Hicks.

Let's move to the highlights.

#JermaineJohnson
              In Hicks, aren't you getting a guy well past his prime who still wants a contract based on his prime?

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I feel the same, if Cross and Ekwonu, fall. If that were to happen, this a different discussion. Then I switch to OT, away from the defense in the first Three Rounds-plan, in the 1st Round.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I respectfully disagree with the conventional wisdom here.

At this time last year, Penei Sewell was deemed the greatest OLT in the history of football lol.

Many pundits project Penning to stay put at OLT.

Cross is young, suggesting further growth. He has elite traits, including understanding blocking assignments.

Finally, this guy is working with Duke Manyweather.
                  Duke gets after it with fundamentals and improving of weak areas. Linemen cross train at multiple positions on both sides, with the leader of the OLMasterminds.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

In Hicks, aren't you getting a guy well past his prime who still wants a contract based on his prime?
                    Hicks, I am pretty much in full agreement of Ninja's assessment that players over 30 are fraught with soft tissue breakdown, and should be avoided.

Calais Campbell contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Then, how does one explain Calais Campbell, who just completed another season at Age 35? Because, the size of the man, must be taken into consideration when making an evaluation.

The other thing is, Akiem has stated he feels he has one more contract in him, as a player. Staley and I agree on his potential and I think it's worth a stretch.

Akiem Hicks contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Akiem has a projected market value of $5.5 a year. Two-year deal.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

One of Penning's weaknesses is the ability of defenders to go low while bending the corner.
                      Its the same thing that gave/gives Pipkens fits (& early in his NFL career, Kolten Miller).

Penning gave up a sack against S. Illinois by failing to switch off on a DT coming around the edge.....that should never happen at that level for any stud OT.
                      He also would get chip help on occasion against N. Dakota State - not to my liking there.

I don't think Penning is a plug and play RT/LT. He'll need time to develop.

defenders going low with ability to bend corners can get all tackles beat on occasion. That was on left side as well. Watch his tape on right side, RG or RT. He doesn’t loose contact once he gets his hands on you and then finishes similar fashion to Ekwonu with a pancake. Think you comparison to Pipkins is a grossly unwarranted, cheap shot that is completely misleading. But to each his own I guess, one man’s trash another’s treasure.

Better comp would actually be a fresh, before injures Brian Bulaga. 23rd overall pick 2010. His draft measureables 6-5 314lbs Penning (reportedly) 6-7 329lbs. Or Tampa Bay RT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa 6-5 320, selected 13th overall. Penning slots in the middle of those two for me, so 17 seems perfect.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        I respectfully disagree with the conventional wisdom here.

At this time last year, Penei Sewell was deemed the greatest OLT in the history of football lol.

Many pundits project Penning to stay put at OLT.

Cross is young, suggesting further growth. He has elite traits, including understanding blocking assignments.

Finally, this guy is working with Duke Manyweather.
                        Duke gets after it with fundamentals and improving of weak areas. Linemen cross train at multiple positions on both sides, with the leader of the OLMasterminds.
                        Scout OT Max Mitchell. He'll put you off the notion of needing a stonker of a tackle in the 1st Round. Ikem & Cross, are excellent, but not available at #17.

And get back to addressing the DT, EDGE, CORNER on defense.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Scout OT Max Mitchell. He'll put you off the notion of needing a stonker of a tackle in the 1st Round. Ikem & Cross, are excellent, but not available at #17.

And get back to addressing the DT, EDGE, CORNER on defense.
                          I like Max.
                          Some QBs are gonna go before @ #17.
                          Thoughts regarding talent level at positions of need have not been finalized.
                          Let's make a BIG splash in free agency.

:beer:
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X