Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I like Max.
    Some QBs are gonna go before @ #17.
    Thoughts regarding talent level at positions of need have not been finalized.
    Let's make a BIG splash in free agency.

:beer:
    Akiem Hicks is my big splash when the league's new year opens. His best fit is a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 scheme.

1. EDGE or CORNER
    2. DT
    3. EDGE or CORNER
    4. RT
    5. RB
    6-7. Build Special Teams.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

technique.png

This is a little confusing as it not only breaks a pattern but also puts the 7 technique inside the 6 technique. Why is it this way? No one is really sure.
      To quote Paul Johnson, head coach at Georgia Tech:
      No one knows why that is the case but Coach (Bear) Bryant numbered it that way and no one has the guts to change it.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Trevor Penning w/some right side tape -

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

defenders going low with ability to bend corners can get all tackles beat on occasion. That was on left side as well. Watch his tape on right side, RG or RT. He doesn’t loose contact once he gets his hands on you and then finishes similar fashion to Ekwonu with a pancake. Think you comparison to Pipkins is a grossly unwarranted, cheap shot that is completely misleading. But to each his own I guess, one man’s trash another’s treasure.

Better comp would actually be a fresh, before injures Brian Bulaga. 23rd overall pick 2010. His draft measureables 6-5 314lbs Penning (reportedly) 6-7 329lbs. Or Tampa Bay RT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa 6-5 320, selected 13th overall. Penning slots in the middle of those two for me, so 17 seems perfect.
          I compared him to Pipkens and Kolten Miller: guys who had major issues with defenders going underneath them.
          You could have easily said that i'm elevating Penning too much.

Sure, on some occasions all tackles get beat by defenders going low; but some are particularly helpless against it.
          I watched him as an LT; why would the issue disappear moving to RT?

He's a tall guy: just expect to be patient with the guy the first few years - like the Raiders were with Kolten Miller (another tall guy).
          Pip very well could beat him out next year (there's a cheap shot for you).

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Just my two cents and why I’d take Penning over them because he is a much better fit, plug and play RT.

Cross is a Left Tackle. Smooth mirror and athletic who can cover ground easily but is not powerful run blocker who doesn’t show me nasty.

Ekwonu is opposite, he is nasty, pancakes guys on the interior, looks to bulldoze anything or anyone standing in his way, but he is strictly a RG.

Specific traits define a position, they all have their own, but only Penning is a true blue chip RT.
            Saying that Penning is a “better fit/plug and play RT” aren’t reasons, they’re assumptions.

First of all, Penning played on the left side this year, not right. He didn’t play RT last year (or the year before that) either. Spencer Brown did.

Cross is also a LT, but he’s more fundamentally sound than Penning. He’s also smoother, played against real competition, and has the kind of balance of which Penning can only dream. A technically sound tackle like Cross is much more likely to have success switching from LT to RT.

Ekwonu also played LT this year, not guard. In fact, he’s been playing LT for NCST since he was a true freshman. He’s never played guard. Some scouts think he’s better suited as a guard in the NFL, but others disagree. I’ll reserve judgement until I see his measurements. It sure looks like his arms are 35”+, which is huge for a powerful beast who can move that well. Getting Ekwonu on the right side (guard or tackle) would immediately allow us to run off both sides, instead of only left. You know those sketchy 4th and 1s Staley’s always going for? Having Ekwonu will eliminate 90% of your pre-snap anxiety.

Until Penning proves otherwise at the Senior Bowl, his best attributes are his size and his nasty demeanor. Everything else is suspect.
            Last edited by Bolt Dude; 01-18-2022, 05:56 PM.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Cross = Mid 1st
              Penning = late 1st or early 2nd
              Lucas = early 2nd or mid-2nd
              Raimann = Mid-2nd
              Mitchell = Early 3rd

IMO

A little Bernhard Raimann

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                Cross = Mid 1st
                Penning = late 1st or early 2nd
                Lucas = early 2nd or mid-2nd
                Raimann = Mid-2nd
                Mitchell = Early 3rd

IMO

A little Bernhard Raimann
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3taXD89_UIc
                No Faalele?

To me, he’s tempting, but I’m also wary of injuries for a guy that size (see Mekhi Becton). But damnit if he didn’t look good this year—major strides from previous seasons. Still ascending?

Plus, he’s a natural RT.

I’m interested in what the scouts say.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

No Faalele?

To me, he’s tempting, but I’m also wary of injuries for a guy that size (see Mekhi Becton). But damnit if he didn’t look good this year—major strides from previous seasons. Still ascending?

Plus, he’s a natural RT.

I’m interested in what the scouts say.
                  I'm not a big fan of Faalele (I'll probably get Bar-B-Q'd for that). I don't think he'd be best fit for the outside zone we run.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I would consider "overdrafting" (IMO) Penning if we took care of CB and DL in free agency.
                    That would probably mean moving on from Kyzir and Uchenna (to free up money).

Sign: CB Darrious Williams, DT Sebastian Joseph-Day, DT Austin Johnson, and 4i Harrison Phillips.
                    Draft:
                    1. OT Penning
                    2. EDGE Arnold Ebiketti
                    3. LB Chad Muma
                    4. CB Tre'vius H-T
                    5 S Bryan Cook.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm not a big fan of Faalele (I'll probably get Bar-B-Q'd for that). I don't think he'd be best fit for the outside zone we run.
                      That’s fair. I don’t see him in a zone scheme either. I’m just intrigued to see how he fairs. Dude’s a boom or bust prospect if I’ve ever seen one.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Dane Brugler Top 50 Draft Prospects
                        Nov 10, 2021

8. Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (6-7, 329)
                        The fourth offensive tackle in the top 10, Penning was considered a potential first-rounder entering the season, but he has only picked up momentum with his play as a senior. Penning moves really well for his size with powerful hands, long arms and the pissed-off attitude to win one-on-one match-ups.
                        Rank in August: 31

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                          With the money we have, I expect to resign all our high impact FAs.

I also expect to bring in one or two high-priority FAs.

Depending on who the outside FAs are, I’d take one of the following: Davis, Trevon Walker, Cross, Penning, or McDuffie.

…unless someone unexpected falls, like Ekwonu or Karlaftis. In that case I’m drafting them, obviously.
                          curious 'bout Travon Walker, as Ninj had raised the flag on him, and others here have followed in kind.

apparently he can play outside in, from DE/6T to 1T.... he's listed @275 lbs, but some project he could go up to 310 lbs, and without losing much of his athletic profile.

he's versatile and was team captain @Georgia, has a hellah quick get off and has the wheels to run down opposing QBs.

he does play alongside NT Jordan Davis, of which always gives me pause as to how much an added benefit that might be ?? he has dropped into coverage some, but don't really have any reason to believe he'll be any better than Bosaesque @that, and also @times wonder if he might even be Tilleryesque in terms of wrapping up the QB ?? he didn't exactly show out against Alabama, and one service referred to him as "functional," which isn't too far beyond serviceable me suspex ?? his NFL compare is Emmanuel Ogbah, and he is versatile, but the query is he more elite athlete than generational football talent ?? when looking @his production and reading 'bout his "phone booth quickness," not to mention the question as to whether he'd be an ED or 4i for us, just think there's too much projection involved for a first rounder, let alone a mid first rounder.... for myself, not willing to take the gambit on his upside, as suspect he'll eventually best be suited as a 300 lbs something IDL.
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X