• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

the other/next guy am gonna take a gander @is Stingley, and who according to some is not really close to the Sauce, and despite some calling him the No. 1 corner available in the draft ??

which is funny, now that I have looked into Stingley, who me thinx is much the better get, and a tremendous value @17.... IF his medicals check out, which regardless still makes him an injury concern, given his foot and concussion history/troubles.

gotta say, wouldn't have much of a problem @all if the Chargers went Stingley to start off their draft.... dude is nails, and is the most likely superstar outta the players I've looked @to date.

he is in line to follow a lineage of greatness from LSU.... he is a true shutdown corner, w/no maybes to his game.... 4.3 speed and can handle size & speed of NFL wideouts and slot receivers.

also liked that he was credited w/being both "crafty" and "patient." he mirrors receivers well and has a solid NFL and football playing pedigree.

he has some risk given his health/injury concerns, which could make him a value pick @17 ??

and while most credit the Sauce w/being a top ten talent, there are no shortage of pundits/draftniks who call Stingley a top five overall talent and CB1.

the lone cautionary tale that catches my attention @least, is that some have observed he lacks mental vigilance @times, or that he is not always overly invested in the play (action), and....

once he gets to the NFL, and for the if and when he also has Derwin James in his same defensive backfield, just don't see that as an issue, or more likely even much of a possibility, and.... if it is even true ??

for me, he would def be in the cluster @17, albeit am hard pressed to believe he lasts that long.... 'specially if he is healthy enough to participate @the Combine.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

there is another DB that piques my curiosity, and that guy is Daxton Hill.... so gonna add him to the bunch/trifecta here, and....

after giving him a look see, will say that I originally liked his intangibles, but dude is not close to a first rounder, and is actually more of a mid round talent by my take. my suspicion is that he gets overdrafted due to his SPARQ/RAS scores, which will likely light up and move him up draft boards, and....

he struggled against better receivers, specifically he got eaten up a bit by Rashod Bateman.... there was also the suggestion that he can be slow to find his man, and can get lost in zone.

he does make tackles and is a 4.3 speedster, but he is an injury concern according to some, and he did benefit from the Michigan pass rush, and....

dude is not someone I would like playing nickel, let alone corner in our D.... dude is a free safety from what eye can tell/surmise, and.... not sure that he's better than Nasir, who is still an ascending player for us.

unfortunately for him, safety is also a devalued position, @least by most takes, and.... just don't think we need to spend a day one nor two pick on defensive backfield depth and STs.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Merriman wasn't bendy at all. Multiple ways to win.

Bosa should be on the field the number of snaps which maximize his impact. Fewer run snaps means more himorempact rushes.
        Yeah he was. He was an excellent outside pass rusher... great explosion, quickness, and flexibility. Walker has some of those things... but to a lesser extent than Merriman. Walker has strength and size as his main attributes. He's smart and he knows/plays his role. The question is... will he be a game-wrecker in the NFL the way he was @ the college level...? IMO, no. Everyone is strong in the NFL. NFL offensive linemen understand balance , leverage, and pad level better than a college OL-man.

Walker will be a very solid player at the next level (high floor). But I don't think fans should expect him to push NFL OL around like he did in college.
        If Staley takes him @#17... then he must have plans for him that I just can't imagine. I'll be cool with it. I'll watch and learn. But for now, I don't see it.

IMO, his role would be as an edge setter. I heard Staley complain about the edge-setting (especially after the Raiders' game).
        Here's the thing... I went back and watched the 4th quarter of the Raiders game. I expected to see Nwosu getting handled on the edge.
        Nwosu was pretty solid! That's when I realized that Staley was talking about Bosa. Bosa blew several edge responsibilities that turned into big running plays... including that last scamper with 25 seconds left in the game.

Are the Chargers looking to slide Bosa to the 4i position...? Maybe. Are they looking to draft Walker as an OLB replacement for Bosa...? Maybe. Are they looking to draft Walker as their 4i and keep Bosa at OLB...? Maybe. In any of those cases... Bosa will still have to learn to set the edge properly. Staley had Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd in LAR. In LAC, he's got Bosa and Jones. They're just different players with different talents. Don't expect Bosa/Jones to fit Floyd/Donald. Don't expect ANYONE to fit Donald... there is just one Aaron Donald. Staley will fit his scheme to the players he has now.

Putting Bosa and Walker on the same side (stunting etc) would have its appeal... and specifically fit during obvious pass rush situations (getting 1-on-1's) for each player.
        But that same scenario could work for Bosa/Rumph. Rumph was used on stunts and tackle/guards gaps a lot @Duke.
        And quite honestly, Sam Williams is a good edge setter (without the 1st round cost) that is actually a bit quicker to the outside than Walker.
        No copyright intended. Hope everyone enjoys. Thumbnail retrieved from: https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-Rebels-Where-does-Sam-Williams...

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah he was. He was an excellent outside pass rusher... great explosion, quickness, and flexibility. Walker has some of those things... but to a lesser extent than Merriman. Walker has strength and size as his main attributes. He's smart and he knows/plays his role. The question is... will he be a game-wrecker in the NFL the way he was @ the college level...? IMO, no. Everyone is strong in the NFL. NFL offensive linemen understand balance , leverage, and pad level better than a college OL-man.

Walker will be a very solid player at the next level (high floor). But I don't think fans should expect him to push NFL OL around like he did in college.
          If Staley takes him @#17... then he must have plans for him that I just can't imagine. I'll be cool with it. I'll watch and learn. But for now, I don't see it.

IMO, his role would be as an edge setter. I heard Staley complain about the edge-setting (especially after the Raiders' game).
          Here's the thing... I went back and watched the 4th quarter of the Raiders game. I expected to see Nwosu getting handled on the edge.
          Nwosu was pretty solid! That's when I realized that Staley was talking about Bosa. Bosa blew several edge responsibilities that turned into big running plays... including that last scamper with 25 seconds left in the game.

Are the Chargers looking to slide Bosa to the 4i position...? Maybe. Are they looking to draft Walker as an OLB replacement for Bosa...? Maybe. Are they looking to draft Walker as their 4i and keep Bosa at OLB...? Maybe. In any of those cases... Bosa will still have to learn to set the edge properly. Staley had Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd in LAR. In LAC, he's got Bosa and Jones. They're just different players with different talents. Don't expect Bosa/Jones to fit Floyd/Donald. Don't expect ANYONE to fit Donald... there is just one Aaron Donald. Staley will fit his scheme to the players he has now.

Putting Bosa and Walker on the same side (stunting etc) would have its appeal... and specifically fit during obvious pass rush situations (getting 1-on-1's) for each player.
          But that same scenario could work for Bosa/Rumph. Rumph was used on stunts and tackle/guards gaps a lot @Duke.
          And quite honestly, Sam Williams is a good edge setter (without the 1st round cost) that is actually a bit quicker to the outside than Walker.
          No copyright intended. Hope everyone enjoys. Thumbnail retrieved from: https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-Rebels-Where-does-Sam-Williams...
          Several things:

1. Bosa was losing containment on the edge at times because he was cheating inside to try to help out there; he lost containment at the end - with a tight end of all people - probably because he was pooped out playing 80+ plays. If it is demanded of him to just handle edge, he'll have no problem.

2. Walker wasn't just pushing around future dump truck drivers, he was pushing around Evan Neal.....and he was playing within a system that didn't necessarily showcase his abilities off the edge; perhaps it was because he's not that type of player. Any case, he's a fascinating projection....possibly too rich for the Chargers.

3. I like what little i've seen of Sam Williams.....Telesco might pass him by due to character concerns. If he lasts to the Chargers 3rd round pick, it is because of character concerns (that makes him an Andy Reid potential selection).

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            the other/next guy am gonna take a gander @is Stingley, and who according to some is not really close to the Sauce, and despite some calling him the No. 1 corner available in the draft ??

which is funny, now that I have looked into Stingley, who me thinx is much the better get, and a tremendous value @17.... IF his medicals check out, which regardless still makes him an injury concern, given his foot and concussion history/troubles.

gotta say, wouldn't have much of a problem @all if the Chargers went Stingley to start off their draft.... dude is nails, and is the most likely superstar outta the players I've looked @to date.

he is in line to follow a lineage of greatness from LSU.... he is a true shutdown corner, w/no maybes to his game.... 4.3 speed and can handle size & speed of NFL wideouts and slot receivers.

also liked that he was credited w/being both "crafty" and "patient." he mirrors receivers well and has a solid NFL and football playing pedigree.

he has some risk given his health/injury concerns, which could make him a value pick @17 ??

and while most credit the Sauce w/being a top ten talent, there are no shortage of pundits/draftniks who call Stingley a top five overall talent and CB1.

the lone cautionary tale that catches my attention @least, is that some have observed he lacks mental vigilance @times, or that he is not always overly invested in the play (action), and....

once he gets to the NFL, and for the if and when he also has Derwin James in his same defensive backfield, just don't see that as an issue, or more likely even much of a possibility, and.... if it is even true ??

for me, he would def be in the cluster @17, albeit am hard pressed to believe he lasts that long.... 'specially if he is healthy enough to participate @the Combine.
            Stingley would be interesting beachcomber.

I hear injuries or that he regressed a bit from his 2019 season are reasons for concern.....either way, he might be the guy you can stick on Tyreek Hill one on one & not get lit up.

Derwin on Kelce, Stingley on Hill & blitz the shit out of Prince Patrick from odd locations. Those are the guys Mahomes always goes to in crunch time and teams can never figure out how to take them away.

Defenses that depend too much on a pass rush wilt in the 4rth Q.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Several things:

1. Bosa was losing containment on the edge at times because he was cheating inside to try to help out there; he lost containment at the end - with a tight end of all people - probably because he was pooped out playing 80+ plays. If it is demanded of him to just handle edge, he'll have no problem.

2. Walker wasn't just pushing around future dump truck drivers, he was pushing around Evan Neal.....and he was playing within a system that didn't necessarily showcase his abilities off the edge; perhaps it was because he's not that type of player. Any case, he's a fascinating projection....possibly too rich for the Chargers.

3. I like what little i've seen of Sam Williams.....Telesco might pass him by due to character concerns. If he lasts to the Chargers 3rd round pick, it is because of character concerns (that makes him an Andy Reid potential selection).
              1. If Bosa was pooped out, it was because of COVID re-cooperation from the previous week. I'm all for giving Bosa less PT... but 60-65%...?

2. I don't remember it that way.
              I don't take requests, so please do not ask, I will ignore them.Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DoABarrowRollPlease consider supporting me making t...

The Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide, 33-18 in the CFP National Championship. Stetson Bennett threw for 224 YDS & 2 TD's with Brock Bowers ...

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

In the event of a Nwosu re-sign... which makes more sense @#17...?
                1. An edge setter that is part of a rotation... seeing the field about 55-60% of the time.
                2. A CB that can play inside or outside (in the event of an injury). In 2020, against 11-personnel, the NFL was in nickel 75% of the time... and in dime 20%. 95% of the time, you have at least 5 DB's on the field against teams like the Chiefs and Raiders. If the Broncos end up with Rogers... add them to the list. That's significant. And your slot defender HAS to be a good tackler. There are guys that fit that mold in this draft... waiting until the 2nd round to get that guy is a gamble. Mykael Wright might still be there in the 2nd. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...nd-dime-league
                3. A RT to protect the franchise.

IMO, edge-setter slips to behind CB and RT. If Nwosu isn't re-signed... then all bets are off.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

He isn't going to get to us.
                  I'm also not interested in Dax in the first round.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

I guess we'll just disagree. You can say "he won't be strong enough at the next level" about every single player if you don't project them to improve. He's 21 with a big frame, I see him playing at about 305 (same size as Chris Jones). He'll get stronger and I think retain his freaky athleticism.

I think he's a ++interior rusher. His twitch, power, and instincts on the inside are all over his film. He's shedding and ripping NFL prospects. If he was "just an edge setter" he wouldn't be my choice at 17. I guess you can disagree with this assessment bit it feels more like you're just ignoring it. I'm not moving the 260 lbs Nwosu to the inside as a gadget play. I'm saying he's a premium interior player.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I guess we'll just disagree. You can say "he won't be strong enough at the next level" about every single player if you don't project them to improve. He's 21 with a big frame, I see him playing at about 305 (same size as Chris Jones). He'll get stronger and I think retain his freaky athleticism.

I think he's a ++interior rusher. His twitch, power, and instincts on the inside are all over his film. He's shedding and ripping NFL prospects. If he was "just an edge setter" he wouldn't be my choice at 17. I guess you can disagree with this assessment bit it feels more like you're just ignoring it. I'm not moving the 260 lbs Nwosu to the inside as a gadget play. I'm saying he's a premium interior player.
                      I never said he wouldn't be strong enough at the next level.
                      You're making him a 4i?
                      I see him as a 4-3 DE.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

I never said he wouldn't be strong enough at the next level.
                        You're making him a 4i?
                        I see him as a 4-3 DE.
                        He lines up 0 through 9 in his film. He has some great stunt reps lining up at 0 on 3rd downs. More like a 1 or 3 on pass rush and 6 or 9 on rush snaps. Typically. He also shows good coverage skills. He can literally line up anywhere in the front 6.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

The other thing I like in Walker's tape is that he's not just jumping gaps. He's a disciplined player. As an interior rusher his good reps show him using a first step to get the OL out of position, coming up under their arms to lift and stack, using those long arms to keep the IOL off his pads, collapsing the pocket, locating the ball, THEN shedding and closing.

Stack-Collapse-Locate-Shed-Close translates to the NFL, especially vs mobile QBs. He'll have the twitch and length advantage against most NFL IOL.

Comment

Working...
                          X