• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
    That being said, Travon Walker is increasingly my guy. His edge rush moves are currently lacking but he makes up for it by being a great interior rusher. He is an absolute stud holding the edge in run defense and is a natural at attacking and defeating blocks instead of running around them. He also has incredible upside with his size, athletic ability, violence, and nose for the ball. In a couple years he could have an Aaron Donald level impact.

If he could take some early down load off of Bosa I think our entire defense will benefit. Bosa should be playing 60% to 65% of snaps, not 85%.

I see him going as high as 7 in mocks. I'm convinced he's value at 17 but not convinced he will be there.

2nd round I'm looking at Mathis/Wyatt/Ridgeway.

Fill in slot CB later with a guy who has short area quickness and can shed and tackle.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Walker’s been my #17 pick for a while now. Everything he offers are things lacking from our front seven.

The Aaron Donald comparison seems a bit lofty, but then again, Donald came out after his senior year. His junior year stats look a lot like Walkers’. Who knows how much better Walker could get with another year at UGA?

Our defensive front is our weakest link, and edge is the most premium position in a front seven. Besides guys like Hutchinson and Karlaftis, Walker would make the biggest positive impact.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I actually think Dean can do more in our defense and be a stud who also has a big football IQ.
      But he would be a first round pick. So again for me, depending on what we do in FA'cy in who we keep and who we sign. If we lose Kyzir, LB becomes a bigger need.
      I think them depending on Murray may be a mistake but I hate to give up on him and right now he is a big gamble. He just looks so lost out there.
      I think Murray was drafted for Gus' defense... to replace Perryman. Can Staley turn him into his type-of-guy...? We'll see. Staley says that Murray is his off-ball LB. That's where Kyzir played (and fit) last year. It makes me wonder whether Kyzir will be back. That's a lot of FA money to spend on a guy that either A) Sits behind Murray B) sits your guy that you traded up into the 1st round for.

Fangio loved to put 2 LB's on the field and leave them there for all 3 downs. If I were Staley/TT, I'd try to find a LB in the draft that could back up either Murray or Tranquil... then hope Murray can absorb Staley's scheme. I've read several articles that say Fangio's (Staley's) scheme is complicated and takes players a year or two to fully learn how to play within the scheme... especially a team that just converted from 4-3 to 3-4.

Dean might be a great fit for Staley's D. But are they really investing another 1st round pick into LB...? I doubt it. Especially when they have such a need at CB and RT.
      This year's LB group is so deep... and talented. Seems a waste to use a 1st rounder @ that position. Right now, the colleges are producing many LB's that fit Staley's (Fangio's) scheme.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Took the words right out of my mouth. Walker’s been my #17 pick for a while now. Everything he offers are things lacking from our front seven.

The Aaron Donald comparison seems a bit lofty, but then again, Donald came out after his senior year. His junior year stats look a lot like Walkers’. Who knows how much better Walker could get with another year at UGA?

Our defensive front is our weakest link, and edge is the most premium position in a front seven. Besides guys like Hutchinson and Karlaftis, Walker would make the biggest positive impact.
        Well, I'm projecting upside, but he has snaps as an interior rusher where he just dominates the IOL with burst and power and disengages so easily and always seems to find the ball. He has freak level tools.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think Murray was drafted for Gus' defense... to replace Perryman. Can Staley turn him into his type-of-guy...? We'll see. Staley says that Murray is his off-ball LB. That's where Kyzir played (and fit) last year. It makes me wonder whether Kyzir will be back. That's a lot of FA money to spend on a guy that either A) Sits behind Murray B) sits your guy that you traded up into the 1st round for.

Fangio loved to put 2 LB's on the field and leave them there for all 3 downs. If I were Staley/TT, I'd try to find a LB in the draft that could back up either Murray or Tranquil... then hope Murray can absorb Staley's scheme. I've read several articles that say Fangio's (Staley's) scheme is complicated and takes players a year or two to fully learn how to play within the scheme... especially a team that just converted from 4-3 to 3-4.

Dean might be a great fit for Staley's D. But are they really investing another 1st round pick into LB...? I doubt it. Especially when they have such a need at CB and RT.
          This year's LB group is so deep... and talented. Seems a waste to use a 1st rounder @ that position. Right now, the colleges are producing many LB's that fit Staley's (Fangio's) scheme.
          Well again unless Staley just recently said that in his last press conference, I recall him saying that before the season even began that Murray was a off the ball linebacker.

Now he isn't doing so well and was caught out of position often.

With a busy offseason looming, I see many mocking us defensive tackles in the simulators when me,.... I see them signing at least a couple of those in free agency.

I hope it happens anyway. I see no reason to bring back Covington. He just wasn't very good and doubt Joseph is back. So like you, I see us signing players there and maybe not drafting any.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

I would not be surprised with Joseph-Day.

Murray can't diagnose run fits at all. He's a one gap player.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

That being said, Travon Walker is increasingly my guy. His edge rush moves are currently lacking but he makes up for it by being a great interior rusher. He is an absolute stud holding the edge in run defense and is a natural at attacking and defeating blocks instead of running around them. He also has incredible upside with his size, athletic ability, violence, and nose for the ball. In a couple years he could have an Aaron Donald level impact.

If he could take some early down load off of Bosa I think our entire defense will benefit. Bosa should be playing 60% to 65% of snaps, not 85%.

I see him going as high as 7 in mocks. I'm convinced he's value at 17 but not convinced he will be there.

2nd round I'm looking at Mathis/Wyatt/Ridgeway.

Fill in slot CB later with a guy who has short area quickness and can shed and tackle.
              Like people have noted, Walker is not bendy and isn't known as an outside rushing threat. He has gotten by with strength, technique, and leverage at the college level... I'm not so sure he will be throwing NFL sized/talented OL around like he did in college. No doubt, he will be a very good edge-setter. But I'm not spending #17 on an edge-setter. I can find one of those in the 3rd round.

Joey Bosa is on the books for $28+million next year. He'll be on the field for 85% of the snaps. 60-65% of snaps would be a waste. He'll be a big part of Staley's 4-3 under alignment. He'll learn to play his role better in this 2nd year. I could see the Chargers playing Joey @ 4i position occasionally (pure passing downs, with an OLB outside on his shoulder).

People feel that all we need is a slot CB. They forget how thin we got at outside CB once Davis and ASJ went down. We need a CB that can play slot and/or outside... at a high level. Once you get to the mid-2nd or early 3rd-round CB's... they start becoming either/or... and not truly versatile inside/outside/sure tackler. IMO, you look for your CB in the 1st round.

I'm not saying that Walker... or Dean... or Davis... or Jameson... aren't worthy of the #17 spot. I just see CB as where BPA meets biggest PON.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well again unless Staley just recently said that in his last press conference, I recall him saying that before the season even began that Murray was a off the ball linebacker.

Now he isn't doing so well and was caught out of position often.

With a busy offseason looming, I see many mocking us defensive tackles in the simulators when me,.... I see them signing at least a couple of those in free agency.

I hope it happens anyway. I see no reason to bring back Covington. He just wasn't very good and doubt Joseph is back. So like you, I see us signing players there and maybe not drafting any.
                It was a recent presser... maybe the very last one.
                Murray has the physical talents... now his brain needs to catch up to the new system. You see this happen all of the time. In essence, this was Murray's rookie year in the 3-4. He was playing MIKE for Oklahoma. It's a difficult scheme. The reason the Rams were able to grasp and implement so quickly in 2020 was because there were already a 3-4 defense and only minor adjustments were needed to transition from Wade's 3-4 to Staley's 3-4.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I can live with Leal or Trayvon at 17.
                  Or even the Tree, Jordan Davis.

However, fools rush in.
                  I am waiting for Senior Bowl practices.
                  Raimann. Penning. Faalele. And the Sleeper...OG Marquis Hayes.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Like people have noted, Walker is not bendy and isn't known as an outside rushing threat. He has gotten by with strength, technique, and leverage at the college level... I'm not so sure he will be throwing NFL sized/talented OL around like he did in college. No doubt, he will be a very good edge-setter. But I'm not spending #17 on an edge-setter. I can find one of those in the 3rd round.

Joey Bosa is on the books for $28+million next year. He'll be on the field for 85% of the snaps. 60-65% of snaps would be a waste. He'll be a big part of Staley's 4-3 under alignment. He'll learn to play his role better in this 2nd year. I could see the Chargers playing Joey @ 4i position occasionally (pure passing downs, with an OLB outside on his shoulder).

People feel that all we need is a slot CB. They forget how thin we got at outside CB once Davis and ASJ went down. We need a CB that can play slot and/or outside... at a high level. Once you get to the mid-2nd or early 3rd-round CB's... they start becoming either/or... and not truly versatile inside/outside/sure tackler. IMO, you look for your CB in the 1st round.

I'm not saying that Walker... or Dean... or Davis... or Jameson... aren't worthy of the #17 spot. I just see CB as where BPA meets biggest PON.
                    Merriman wasn't bendy at all. Multiple ways to win.

Bosa should be on the field the number of snaps which maximize his impact. Fewer run snaps means more himorempact rushes.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Well, I'm projecting upside, but he has snaps as an interior rusher where he just dominates the IOL with burst and power and disengages so easily and always seems to find the ball. He has freak level tools.
                      I’d really like to see Walker lined up on the same side as Bosa, running stunts and games.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        I can live with Leal or Trayvon at 17.
                        Or even the Tree, Jordan Davis.

However, fools rush in.
                        I am waiting for Senior Bowl practices.
                        Raimann. Penning. Faalele. And the Sleeper...OG Marquis Hayes.
                        Raimann, Penning, Faalele, Mitchell, and Lucas. It will be nice to compare each one.

LB's, too: Quay, Tindall, Domann, Rose, Lloyd, Muma.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

ok, on to the CBs, and.... just as a preamble/qualifier, am just not that big on/excited about CBs early in the draft, as personally find that am rarely smitten/taken by a first round CB, 'specially a top o' the first round CB.... ala McDuffie.... did like Verrett, 'specially his intangibles, but was officially against drafting him if I was an NFL GM.... too risky re: the health/injury considerations.

everyone wants a shutdown/lockdown corner, and one who can handle the sauce.... both the size & speed of opposing pass catchers, and preferably one not in need of safety help over the top.

this corner has not allowed a TD pass for his entire college career (is he a redshirt sophomore ?).... not one, and.... dude has scored 3 of his own TDs and owns a passer rating against of 35.3

he is a competitor and physical throughout the route, has ball skills as a former receiver, is noted for his football IQ and play/route recognition, and profiles as a No. 1 corner.... he has a Jimmy Smith compare, and....

'tis prolly just me, but just can't check the intangibles box for this guy.... just not feelin' it/him, and.... think his biggest plus is that his mindset is Derwin compatible.
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X