• FarAwayBoltFan
    San Diego Native
    • Feb 2019
    • Farmington, NM
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
    So two weeks out Brugler selects Trevor Penning to the Chargers #17

thoughts?
    I'm a Best Player Available at a Position of Need guy. In this case, I routinely see Penning taken in the early to mid-1st round in mocks so the value at 17 seems appropriate and it is definitely a position of need. So, I like the pick.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      that's who nflmockdraftdatabase.com has for us as well.... Walter has Jordan Davis, Penning and Cross.

looking @our roster on D, you could surmise that Jordan Davis would be a consideration, and would put Tillery to the bench, and not sure that Wyatt is worthy of 17 overall.

an LB would def be an upgrade, but think we're gonna wait (@least) another year and see more of Murray and Drue in his contract year.

and you might want a third CB, but $8m dollars says you might not see one @17 overall, w/Mike D. still getting paid.

and you could also make the case for Kyle Hamilton, but it's unlikely he'll pull a Derwin and drop to 17.... me thinx ditto for Jordan Davis as well.

on O, personally think we'll be alright w/a repeat of Oboushi and Scho @RG, and obviously we have a ? @RT, and.... the question is are we best served by going LG or RT in the draft ??

and don't think RB or TE match up @17, and w/the only other question is do we need a WR ?? the answer is obviously no, relatively speaking, albeit the question is what best serves our SB run ??

a WR or Oline ?? does Penning come off the board to New Orleans ?? how spot on was Jeremiah w/Raimann @17 ?? which player gives us the best value/chance at a Super Bowl ??

is Tommy T's job on the line ?? is Dean ready to weigh in before too long, as there really may be the possibility of a sell looming on the LAC horizon ??

for myself, just not interested whatsoever in the either of Penning nor Raimann, and love me some Mt. Zion, and.... Garrett Wilson trumps all, and would take him ahead of the everybody else.

ps. on the Saints front, do think they do one of two things: they trade up for Pickett @4 w/the Jets, or they go LT in front of us, and then a WR chaser after that, and.... seems Penning is more of a fit in New Orleans than Bernhard would be ??
      Thats a lot of IF, Ands or Buts.....

Wilson isnt falling to us. Jameson could. Dont think WR is in our cards in the first round. But wouldn't complain if we did.

No idea what the plan is at RT and wouldnt be mad if they went OG and moved Fieler, just think the mention of it is a liars month thing. Im sure there is a plan though. Aboushi i think will get resigned but he is hurt often so they draft a RG or Jaimes is ready.

I like Cade Mays in the 4th or 5th (;ilkely 4th w/ his vesatility)to be a OG and possibly play some OT for us. He can also be a OC depth guy as he has played many snaps at OC. Only question is , is he agile enough to be in a zone offense. He has played in one but im talking in the NFL.

Im not a fan of Schofield. He is durable is about the only possitive ive got.

I dont see MWs extension as a reason why we cant get a 3rd CB but i get it. You dont like him and never did. MW to you is my Mel Ingram. But i think MW has been more productive than Mel and will be more so going forward.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-14-2022, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont see MWs extension as a reason why we cant get a 3rd CB but i get it. You dont like him and never did. MW to you is my Mel Ingram. But i think MW has been more productive than Mel and will be more so going forward.
        not MW.... Mike D.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

On the record, Kenyon Green #17.

He is a pick for Herbert. Watched him in prep school, taking on all comers, exceptional composure and maturity beyond his years. Blue Chip and top 15 prospect.
          Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 04-16-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

Cade Mays in the 5th would be an awesome pick. OT depth and I believe he can be a starter at either Guard or Tackle in the NFL. Draft Penning and back him up with Mays? Hell ya......

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
              On the record, Kenyon Green #17.

He is a pick for Herbert. Watched him in prep school, taking on all comers, exceptional composure and maturity beyond his years. Blue Chip and top 15 prospect.
              Less than a week out, and that's who I'm leaning towards too.

What Staley said a month ago, influences my thinking. He said, you have to run the ball to help your passing game. You don't have to run it well... but you have to run it. It forces the defense to play their blocks. Running the ball brings physicality to the game. IMO, he's not talking about a physical RB... he's talking about his OL being physical. Kenyon Green is very physical... but agile enough to play in a zone scheme. Normally, I wouldn't put an OG in my 1st round cluster. But I look at this move as much more than this. Moving Feiler to RT is also part of this move. It becomes a dominant left side of the OL for the next 8-9 years... and solidifies the weakest part of your team (right side of the OL) for our Super Bowl run.

The 49ers took out the Pack last year @ Lambeau... it was hard for me to comprehend. Packers had all of the "play-makers", but the 49ers dominated the trenches... both sides.
              Then in the Super Bowl, the Rams (and their one WR) took out the "play-maker-laden" Bengals. Again, the Rams were more physical in the trenches.

I don't want to be cute anymore... I want our team to be physical.

Kenyon Green out of Texas A&M is one of the most underrated players in the draft and Bobby Skinner breaks down why he is the best IOL in the 2022 NFL Draft.#...

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Less than a week out, and that's who I'm leaning towards too.

What Staley said a month ago, influences my thinking. He said, you have to run the ball to help your passing game. You don't have to run it well... but you have to run it. It forces the defense to play their blocks. Running the ball brings physicality to the game. IMO, he's not talking about a physical RB... he's talking about his OL being physical. Kenyon Green is very physical... but agile enough to play in a zone scheme. Normally, I wouldn't put an OG in my 1st round cluster. But I look at this move as much more than this. Moving Feiler to RT is also part of this move. It becomes a dominant left side of the OL for the next 8-9 years... and solidifies the weakest part of your team (right side of the OL) for our Super Bowl run.

The 49ers took out the Pack last year @ Lambeau... it was hard for me to comprehend. Packers had all of the "play-makers", but the 49ers dominated the trenches... both sides.
                Then in the Super Bowl, the Rams (and their one WR) took out the "play-maker-laden" Bengals. Again, the Rams were more physical in the trenches.

I don't want to be cute anymore... I want our team to be physical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN_ZCmbgM6k
                Exactly

wanted to add his physicality into the mix, uses leverage extremely well, works hard on his craft so there is upside, especially between Slater and Linsley to be elite as well.

Heavy hands, natural knee bender who can stunt bull rush, no glaring weakness, excellent is pass pro besides pulling in run game, him and Zion are going to become great NFL players and Herbert will be better protected.
                Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 04-23-2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I'd like to make some statement about BPA... but let's admit it... even the pros get it wrong frequently.
                  And... I find it very hard to compare OL to DB, WR or EDGE. I suspect the O-linemen don't get the benefit of the doubt when "experts" compare the jack-rabbits to the cattle.
                  When it comes to BPA, I watch film sessions (like the one I posted) done by guys that know what they're talking about... technique, knee bend, hand usage ect. And then I'll sprinkle in my own opinions based on the tape I personally watch. Scheme is an obvious factor, too.

Right now, I'm most impressed with Trent McDuffie and Kenyon Green. Clean prospects that have excellent technique and very good tape. I doubt if Trent McDuffie is there @#17... and RT is just a bigger need anyways.

Two of the biggest ranking snubs I see right now are Abe Lucas and Roger McCreary. I've got those guys ranked way ahead of the experts' rankings.
                  Years ago, I loved David Andrews. He went undrafted... SMH. Needless to say, I take some rankings with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                    I'd like to make some statement about BPA... but let's admit it... even the pros get it wrong frequently.
                    And... I find it very hard to compare OL to DB, WR or EDGE. I suspect the O-linemen don't get the benefit of the doubt when "experts" compare the jack-rabbits to the cattle.
                    When it comes to BPA, I watch film sessions (like the one I posted) done by guys that know what they're talking about... technique, knee bend, hand usage ect. And then I'll sprinkle in my own opinions based on the tape I personally watch. Scheme is an obvious factor, too.

Right now, I'm most impressed with Trent McDuffie and Kenyon Green. Clean prospects that have excellent technique and very good tape. I doubt if Trent McDuffie is there @#17... and RT is just a bigger need anyways.

Two of the biggest ranking snubs I see right now are Abe Lucas and Roger McCreary. I've got those guys ranked way ahead of the experts' rankings.
                    Years ago, I loved David Andrews. He went undrafted... SMH. Needless to say, I take some rankings with a grain of salt.
                    I'd agree if I have watched them myself as well, and do agree about McDuffie. And I actually like Kyler Gordon too.

Took me some time to get around to Green but havent watched a ton of it like usual.
                    I think with his versatility and play he is likely near the top of Telesco and Staley's board around our pick area. He can play both sides well though he has more reps on the right side.

​​​​​I like Aboushi and he will be cheap but he is injured often and Green can play RG and RT is needed.

Keep one of Pip and Storm and cut the other. Green at RG with James or Aboushi backing up and Green can be the RT if Pip or Storm get injured. Or Maybe he or Jaimes can fill in at LG if Fieler moves to RT if Pip or Storm get injured.

IDK, he gives us more options I think.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'd agree if I have watched them myself and do agree about McDuffie. And I actually like Kyler Gordon too.

Took me some time to get around to Green but havent watched a ton of it like usual.
                      I think with his versatility and play he is likely near the top of Telesco and Staley's board around our pick area. He can play both sides well though he has more on the right side.

​​​​​I like Aboushi and he will be cheap but he is injured often and Green can play RG and RT is needed.

Keep one of Pip and Storm and cut the other. Green at RG with James or Aboushi backing up and Green can be the RT if Pip or Storm get injured. Or Maybe he or Jaimes can fill in at LG if Fieler moves to RT if Pip or Storm get injured.

IDK, he gives us more options I think.
                      Take a quick look at the link I posted. I think you'll see a very polished player @ LG.
                      Unlike a lot of TPB posters, I'm comfortable with Penning @RT. But I'm also very comfortable with Feiler @RT.
                      And since Feiler played RT at a high level (in the NFL)... there's more proof that Feiler can hold down RT than Penning (and his small amount of tape against quality players).

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I think Green is the intersection of Staley's wish for physicality and Nugent/Sarrett's blocking scheme.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Updated Athletic Consensus Top ranked players
                          16 Jordan Davis Georgia DL1T 1
                          17 George Karlaftis Purdue ED 5
                          18 Trent McDuffie Washington CB 3
                          19 Chris Olave Ohio State WR 4
                          20 Treylon Burks Arkansas WR 5
                          21 Kenyon Green Texas A&M OG 1