• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

personally suspect that Davis comes off the board before 17, but even so, not so sure that Stalesco would select him there ?? we've got the two FAs and Tillery on the IDL already.

also not sure Staley is hell bent on a juggernaut, as he has preached completeness from his roster.... as mentioned before, there is @present one gaping hole on the roster.... Oline.

and not aware that many peoples are so inclined toward Green, as Zion seemed to be gaining momentum for a bit there.... guard is the practical pick, but not sure if that is the best get/value for us ??
    you may be right?

Tillery is on borrowed time. Non-factor in any DL equation going forward for me.

The multiple looks and fronts would be close to ideal as you could draw one up, both in closing running lanes and throwing lanes, which would lead to top 5 run stopping and pass rushing. Thought that was the goal and it could fall right into Stalesco's lap.

Right side of OL is a conundrum. Pipkins and Storm will be improved, so there is that. Guard/Tackle a given in the draft, just not in first round this year. Unless Stalesco is hell bent going Stingley to build out his defense (which requires trading up, far more probable he goes before Davis) its still going to be a defensive chess piece to bolster the run defense and or pass rush. I'm not ready to pencil in Jordan Davis but closer to the draft the more real it feels. I like Nakobi Dean as well. Chargers linebackers are not good, just disappointing all around, but not comfortable with spending a high pick on a LB, when there is elite interior defensive 3-4 tackle on the board or possibility of a lockdown cornerback.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

you may be right?

Tillery is on borrowed time. Non-factor in any DL equation going forward for me.

The multiple looks and fronts would be close to ideal as you could draw one up, both in closing running lanes and throwing lanes, which would lead to top 5 run stopping and pass rushing. Thought that was the goal and it could fall right into Stalesco's lap.

Right side of OL is a conundrum. Pipkins and Storm will be improved, so there is that. Guard/Tackle a given in the draft, just not in first round this year. Unless Stalesco is hell bent going Stingley to build out his defense (which requires trading up, far more probable he goes before Davis) its still going to be a defensive chess piece to bolster the run defense and or pass rush. I'm not ready to pencil in Jordan Davis but closer to the draft the more real it feels. I like Nakobi Dean as well. Chargers linebackers are not good, just disappointing all around, but not comfortable with spending a high pick on a LB, when there is elite interior defensive 3-4 tackle on the board or possibility of a lockdown cornerback.
      like both those guys, but think it unlikely that the either of them are there @17, and.... can see why Stalesco brought in Reeder, and think he's gonna be a glue guy in the middle of the D, and....

my suspicion is that Drue will not be resigned for next year, and that we will be looking hard @LB in next year's draft.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

like both those guys, but think it unlikely that the either of them are there @17, and.... can see why Stalesco brought in Reeder, and think he's gonna be a glue guy in the middle of the D, and....

my suspicion is that Drue will not be resigned for next year, and that we will be looking hard @LB in next year's draft.
        That’s depressing :dead:

Next man up Nakobi Dean? Daxton Hill? Zion Johnson?
        Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 04-10-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

he's callin' JJ2 "lazy" too, and.... just didn't see it w/Cosmi last year.... has he really played that well in his rookie campaign ??

and jftr, do think he's ahead of the curve w/most of his keystone guys, as he's higher of some of his guys than most.

the only one am not sold on of his pickin's is Karlaftis.... don't think he's worth 17, let alone top ten, altho he does come in a flurry @the Olineman.
          "Lazy" is a judgement call made by evaluators that are too lazy to explain why they don't like a guy. I think it's un-fair. None of these prospects got to where they are by being "lazy"...
          And, yes, Cosmi was "that good" last year. Washington is super happy he was still there. I had him rated as a mid/late 1st round. And that was the level he played at last year (74.9 pff).

Voch seems to know a lot about OL (hand placement, angles, technique). His biggest problem with Cosmi (along with a lot of other "experts") was his "anchor"... I become leery when I hear this oft-used critique. IMO, it's the new "lazy".

Re: Pickens and Karlaftis... I don't think either are #17 value. Both are very good. But I'd pick the #4-6 OT's over them (value/impact).

I'll get Bar-B-Q'd for picking Abraham "Anchor" Lucas over Pickens/Karlaftis...

:couch:

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Signing Reeder might show LB isn't in the 17 equation and I might lean that could be correct but I'm still keeping Dean in my cluster. Reeder signed a 1 year deal and agree that Tranq isn't a lock to resign.

So for 17 I'm going with CB, WR, LB, Edge or S....possibly RT but just not thrilled if its Penning at 17 with these guys in the board and the players I'm thinking are.

McDuffie unless Stingley falls (could happen)
            Nakobe
            Olave or Jameson( Wilson will be gone)
            Dax Hill
            JJ or Walker

don't think we are going DT and Edge is my next unlikely pick but keeping it in the cluster.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

"Lazy" is a judgement call made by evaluators that are too lazy to explain why they don't like a guy. I think it's un-fair. None of these prospects got to where they are by being "lazy"...
              And, yes, Cosmi was "that good" last year. Washington is super happy he was still there. I had him rated as a mid/late 1st round. And that was the level he played at last year (74.9 pff).

Voch seems to know a lot about OL (hand placement, angles, technique). His biggest problem with Cosmi (along with a lot of other "experts") was his "anchor"... I become leery when I hear this oft-used critique. IMO, it's the new "lazy".

Re: Pickens and Karlaftis... I don't think either are #17 value. Both are very good. But I'd pick the #4-6 OT's over them (value/impact).

agreed 'bout "lazy" when applied to Darrisaw.... just didn't see it, and for that matter, doesn't come to mind when I see JJ neither ??

and ye ol' sand in the pants is a catchy phrase, and do catch myself throwing out the "anchor" label more oft than not after coming across the such.... armchair pundit susceptibility eye guess ??

and can't say I'm in the 4-6 camp, as would much prefer Pickens over the all of 'em, and.... despite the significant risk associated w/his selection (my job isn't on the line either)
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Signing Reeder might show LB isn't in the 17 equation and I might lean that could be correct but I'm still keeping Dean in my cluster. Reeder signed a 1 year deal and agree that Tranq isn't a lock to resign.

So for 17 I'm going with CB, WR, LB, Edge or S....possibly RT but just not thrilled if its Penning at 17 with these guys in the board and the players I'm thinking are.

McDuffie unless Stingley falls (could happen)
                Nakobe
                Olave or Jameson( Wilson will be gone)
                Dax Hill
                JJ or Walker

don't think we are going DT and Edge is my next unlikely pick but keeping it in the cluster.
                think Nakobe def belongs in the cluster.... every once in awhile the sum of us know a little sumthin' sumthin' that our FO brass misses on/let's slip by.... dude could be a baller, and def has incredible intangibles.

agree w/Penning.... not thrilled, or more like flat out very disappointed.... he's just screams unCharger to me.

think your other guys are solids, albeit not sold on Walker, as think he needs to be schemed open as a pass rusher, and is eventually more likely to end up on the interior of the Dline.

and dug up my Dax take, as def moved off of him after taking a closer look....

there is another DB that piques my curiosity, and that guy is Daxton Hill.... so gonna add him to the bunch/trifecta here, and....

after giving him a look see, will say that I originally liked his intangibles, but dude is not close to a first rounder, and is actually more of a mid round talent by my take. my suspicion is that he gets overdrafted due to his SPARQ/RAS scores, which will likely light up and move him up draft boards, and....

he struggled against better receivers, specifically he got eaten up a bit by Rashod Bateman.... there was also the suggestion that he can be slow to find his man, and can get lost in zone.

he does make tackles and is a 4.3 speedster, but he is an injury concern according to some, and he did benefit from the Michigan pass rush, and....

dude is not someone I would like playing nickel, let alone corner in our D.... dude is a free safety from what eye can tell/surmise, and.... not sure that he's better than Nasir, who is still an ascending player for us.

unfortunately for him, safety is also a devalued position, @least by most takes, and.... just don't think we need to spend a day one nor two pick on defensive backfield depth and STs.
                my personal suspicion is that it's between receiver (value) and Oline (need).

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

agreed 'bout "lazy" when applied to Darrisaw.... just didn't see it, and for that matter, doesn't come to mind when I see JJ neither ??

and ye ol' sand in the pants is a catchy phrase, and do catch myself throwing out the "anchor" label more oft than not after coming across the such.... armchair pundit susceptibility eye guess ??

and can't say I'm in the 4-6 camp, as would much prefer Pickens over the all of 'em, and.... despite the significant risk associated w/his selection (my job isn't on the line either)
                  The "#4-6" I like best is Raimann. He fits our scheme best. Rankings are all over the place... PFF has him as their #13 prospect. I realize that is against lower competition... but skillset is skillset.

I'm fine rolling with the #12 and #13 WR in the NFL. I don't see taking targets away from KA or MW. Now depth with speed I'm all for. Just not with #17. 3rd-5th rounds could make for quality depth @WR... especially this deep draft.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Voch got Slater > Penei right last year... but that was about it.
                    He had Leatherwood as a tackle (not guard)
                    He called Darrisaw "lazy"... and the rest followed.
                    He had Radunz, Leatherwood, Eichenburg, and Mayfield all rated higher than Sam Cosmi.

I used to like/watch Voch a lot. Last year, I disagreed with a lot of his evals, tho.
                    Take each "expert" with a grain of salt. Make sure to watch tape yourself.
                    Sometimes "experts" get lazy and the echo-chamber takes control...
                    And of course he thought Bosa was way over rated.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

I think what I learned from Slater last year is that the ability to anchor is about technique, balance, and feel for leverage. Plenty of big guys lose anchor.

That said, I played OL at 180 pounds and there's definitely a point where you're just not big enough. That point is probably like 280# in the NFL.

I didn't see the lazy thing on Darrisaw at all. Or "soft". WTF does that even mean? Bigger issue was the short, lateral drops from the VT scheme, but it looked like he could adjust and he cleary had hisbtech down.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

So two weeks out Brugler selects Trevor Penning to the Chargers #17

thoughts?

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

that's who nflmockdraftdatabase.com has for us as well.... Walter has Jordan Davis, Penning and Cross.

looking @our roster on D, you could surmise that Jordan Davis would be a consideration, and would put Tillery to the bench, and not sure that Wyatt is worthy of 17 overall.

an LB would def be an upgrade, but think we're gonna wait (@least) another year and see more of Murray and Drue in his contract year.

and you might want a third CB, but $8m dollars says you might not see one @17 overall, w/Mike D. still getting paid.

and you could also make the case for Kyle Hamilton, but it's unlikely he'll pull a Derwin and drop to 17.... me thinx ditto for Jordan Davis as well.

on O, personally think we'll be alright w/a repeat of Oboushi and Scho @RG, and obviously we have a ? @RT, and.... the question is are we best served by going LG or RT in the draft ??

and don't think RB or TE match up @17, and w/the only other question is do we need a WR ?? the answer is obviously no, relatively speaking, albeit the question is what best serves our SB run ??

a WR or Oline ?? does Penning come off the board to New Orleans ?? how spot on was Jeremiah w/Raimann @17 ?? which player gives us the best value/chance at a Super Bowl ??

is Tommy T's job on the line ?? is Dean ready to weigh in before too long, as there really may be the possibility of a sell looming on the LAC horizon ??

for myself, just not interested whatsoever in the either of Penning nor Raimann, and love me some Mt. Zion, and.... Garrett Wilson trumps all, and would take him ahead of the everybody else.

ps. on the Saints front, do think they do one of two things: they trade up for Pickett @4 w/the Jets, or they go LT in front of us, and then a WR chaser after that, and.... seems Penning is more of a fit in New Orleans than Bernhard would be ??

Comment

Working...
                          X