Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

I hope he does well
    Riddick like him except for tackling
    STaley said he needs to work on tackling

I do know DB was an area of need so for that reason alone - I will be good with the pick
    3rd has been a tough round for Tommy Polian Telesco

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I know, right? Half these Jokers never heard of this guy, but all of the sudden he is a "Staley guy", and a nice pick...lol. I got nothing against the kid, but it sure is tough to have a dissenting opinion around here....
      I'll pipe up one here: he's very thin - if he can't tackle, he won't be on the field to use his speed.

The kool-aid is flowing a bit too freely here. He's a bit of a gamble, or he wouldn't have been drafted in the middle of the 3rd with that elite speed.

If draftniks don't spend thousands of hours on one guy, other NFL GMs do.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

For all of JTWs accomplishments, traits and viability at the senior bowl, why the hell am I read his bame for the first time yesterday?
        there must as have been at least TOB member here touting him, no?
        step forward brave soul and claim your reputation bonus!

I'm no ninja, but I thought I'd at least be familiar with all 3re rounders.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think Woods should probably put on more muscle, he needed to be light for Track, he has great football speed, and I hope he maintains that as he gets more muscle. Coach him up on tackling, its a lost part of the game in the Big 12.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I'm rolling with Ted Nguyen, the Baylor staff and Staley's opinion on this, thanks. They've been watching Woods' tape for months, and his closing and recovery speed are ridiculous.
            Ted Nguyen is the truth!

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

So instead, they reached for a safety.
              Maybe. But I think I’m going to also trust Ted Nguyen on the matter. He knows his stuff better than most of us on here.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I get the 'draft expert' opinion on Woods is a 4th rounder, but they have limited information, and don't know the plans of the teams' evaluation of fit to their vision. If the player is a fit, you must admit! (lol). I think Woods is a plus to the DB room.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

A consensus big board had him at #137 overall. Brugler (cited in this thread) had him at #128. Walter Football (cited in this thread) had him as a round 4-6 player. Zierlein (nfl.com) had him as a round 4 prospect. PFF had him at #154 (round 5). The Sporting News did not have him in their top 150 list (round 5 or worse). I could go on and on. It is very likely that he would have been on the board at #123 (middle of the 4th round).

A GM has his head up his backside if he is not trying to select the BPA at a PON with each pick. Reaches screw franchises.

By your logic, you would be fine if the team selected Woods at #17 overall.

Most likely, we could have had Travis Jones and J.T. Woods with our pick in round 4.
                  What if we didn’t want Jones?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    I get the 'draft expert' opinion on Woods is a 4th rounder, but they have limited information, and don't know the plans of the teams' evaluation of fit to their vision. If the player is a fit, you must admit! (lol). I think Woods is a plus to the DB room.
                    draft pick
                    UDFA
                    free agent

Comes to me three things
                    scouting - meaning evaluating the player for the team. RAvens nail this
                    the player - do they have the work ethic to make it in the NFL. High school and college, they probably can get by with athleticism
                    the coaches - do they coach them up

Three things - all need to work. Chargers have not had all three things working a lot the last dozen years -- if he is a good player, the pick is good; if not the pick is bad

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Maybe. But I think I’m going to also trust Ted Nguyen on the matter. He knows his stuff better than most of us on here.

He looked pretty good tackling on that play.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                        I get the disappointment. I had never heard of this guy. If I were running the draft and had stayed at our selection I would have picked Nakobe Dean.

I was initially disappointed, but then I reminded myself that players such as Dean and Travis Jones, both of whom were projected to go much earlier, fell to the third round for a reason. There's no guarantee on any of these guys starting in the NFL or even playing beyond three years.
                        I think Woods is a scheme fit, Staley is targeting players who have the skills to do what he wants to do on defense, and that we should give him the benefit of the doubt at this time.

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think Woods is a scheme fit, Staley is targeting players who have the skills to do what he wants to do on defense, and that we should give him the benefit of the doubt at this time.
                          Yep Staley likes this guy... He's basically saying he likes his physical skill on long range with his speed etc. and that he can play DB on some plays as well. Our D basically could have 4 or 5 DB's on the field at the same time. Fits the D we play but we'll see. They'll look for him to make interceptions and cover the deep part of the field. A lot of the top DB's on the board were smaller! This for sure is a Staley pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X