X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Staley and Telesco mentioned in their press conference that IOL was the bigger priority over, and that they weren’t going to reach for an RT. It seems that they cared more about RG and S than RT and LB.

The Bills have holes to fill also especially at OL.
    So instead, they reached for a safety.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

So instead, they reached for a safety.
      They don't think like you at all. The team scouts for players they want and don't care where they draft them because you would have to wait for what 40 more picks (Extra 3rd rounders). He would not have made it out of the third round.

:shifty:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The 10 yard split shows how fast the player is in a short area. Most pass patterns are not 40 yard fly patterns. Most patterns involve change of direction and cover less vertical ground. Running plays involve running up toward the line of scrimmage over a shorter area.

Your implied suggestion by citing the article you cited that Woods would somehow be two feet ahead of Mager all the time is just wrong. Mager was faster initially and on most plays Woods would not have the chance to run 40 yards in a straight line to catch and pass Mager.

To be clear, my discussion has nothing to do with who is a better player. I have simply indicated my opposition to your suggestion that Woods is significantly faster than Mager was because his 40 time was .08 seconds faster. I do not think that is true, especially in light of Mager's faster 10 yard split time, regardless of the ability of either player on the field.
        This is not your personal Craig Mager thread. This is NOT that thread.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

That’s a platitude. Of course you hope anybody you pick will improve. Sounds like Pipkens

I'm rolling with Ted Nguyen, the Baylor staff and Staley's opinion on this, thanks. They've been watching Woods' tape for months, and his closing and recovery speed are ridiculous.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

2022 NFL Draft: The Most Overlooked Player at Every Position

plain and simple, an overdraft.... woulda been there in the fourth, more likely than not, and.... his stock was somewhere from 68 to just past the 200 mark, w/the consensus more a fourth rounder than third.... saw a Denver article on him and a few other prospects for their pick @115.

obviously the Chargers saw enough where they didn't want to test their luck/take their chances @123, and.... dude has some appeal.... he's a playmaker w/ball skills, as opposed to a DB that has alotta passes defensed.... he takes the ball away, as in causes turnovers, and the guess/assumption is that he is aggressive, which likely appeals to Staley, and as Steve refers to him as a Robber, and w/the inference that there might be a toll to pay on crossers w/him on the field ?? he called himself "the eraser," and he likely spells Trey Marshall, which is an upgrade.

and given that Staley wants his Star to be Money, he is admittedly high on his ability to process, and says Woods is sharp and can run the show back there, and w/that there is the suggestion that Staley wants to get smarter on the back end of his defense ?? some pundits have suggested he could eventually turn into a defensive cornerstone, and while others refer to him as the unsung hero on that Baylor defense, and his compare is Justin Reid.... not too bad/shabby.

my fear is that he was selected more on his RAS score than not, that he has a linear element to his game, and that he don't got much Sauce to his game.... anotherwords he allows touchdowns.... he also misses tackles.

he's a bit of freelancer @times, which doesn't really bother me so much, as seemingly if he can keep the play in front of him, the results are usually favorable.... what does bother me is that eye don't think he was the better player than the likes of Dulcich, DeAngelo Malone, Nakobe Dean, DeMarvin Leal, Marcus Jones, Cameron Thomas, Sean Rhyan nor Jeremy Ruckert.

eye know the some of us don't really care where they're drafted, but personally I think the way you spend your draft capital matters just as much to your success/wins & losses, as does the spending of your cap, and.... like McKitty and Palmer, the likelihood is that he will somewhat slowly turn into a fairly solid contributor on our roster.... the question is: could we have done better ??

will also add that 'twas pretty wild that we just missed on the likes of Lucas, Jelani Woods and Travis Jones (don't think Raimann is the better than JT jftr....)

onto day three.... hopefully for a TE, more DBs, an RB and a NT.
            Last edited by beachcomber; 04-29-2022, 11:54 PM.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

This is not your personal Craig Mager thread. This is NOT that thread.
              Why is Craig Mager being brought up?

4.36 s guys with size, with 39 inch verticals and who can think quite often are chosen well ahead of where the draftniks have them slotted..

Jeremiah had Raimann ahead of Cross; Cross goes at 9 and Raimann goes in the middle 3rd.

The draftniks had Raimann going somewhere in the 2nd round. Who is right here, GMs or draftniks?

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Fill in run support. Look at that closing speed.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Staley and Telesco mentioned in their press conference that IOL was the bigger priority over, and that they weren’t going to reach for an RT. It seems that they cared more about RG and S than RT and LB.

The Bills have holes to fill also especially at OL.
                  Was that the press conference for the second day round? I saw the one for the first day. TT said that they would decide depending on how the draft went. I'm sure he and BS would have loved to get the OTs who were to their liking. But things didn't turn out that way. None of the very good RTs were remaining when the Chargers picked again.

Staley did want DB depth. He also said he wanted to be stronger at the LOS. That includes IDL and backup edge. Don't count those out, there's still more work to do with them.

As for this pick. Woods speed is appealing, and his takeaway abilities add to the guys on the secondary who gets them themselves. He might do the job like Adrian Phillips or Eric Weddle in his earlier years.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Why is Craig Mager being brought up?

4.36 s guys with size, with 39 inch verticals and who can think quite often are chosen well ahead of where the draftniks have them slotted..

Jeremiah had Raimann ahead of Cross; Cross goes at 9 and Raimann goes in the middle 3rd.

The draftniks had Raimann going somewhere in the 2nd round. Who is right here, GMs or draftniks?

His Oklahoma tape 2021 is pretty good.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Heartbreak kid is appropriate, breaking lots of charger fans hearts tonight
                      haha okay that's the only mean thing I'll say, couldn't resist.
                      Tom is a veteran GM, no facking way he thinks this kid isn't there next round or within range of a trade up in the 4th
                      disappointed in Tom's lack of patience here.

So far my picks woulda been
                      1. Penning
                      3. Cameron thomas sdsu edge

My take away is that we want ballhawks on D
                      and technically sound guys on the Oline

trust the process (I suppose)
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Scott Green View Post

Well since they were already drafted that wasn't an option.
                        Thats why I stated earlier we should have traded up when they were dropping so close to our pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

They don't think like you at all. The team scouts for players they want and don't care where they draft them because you would have to wait for what 40 more picks (Extra 3rd rounders). He would not have made it out of the third round.

:shifty:
                          A consensus big board had him at #137 overall. Brugler (cited in this thread) had him at #128. Walter Football (cited in this thread) had him as a round 4-6 player. Zierlein (nfl.com) had him as a round 4 prospect. PFF had him at #154 (round 5). The Sporting News did not have him in their top 150 list (round 5 or worse). I could go on and on. It is very likely that he would have been on the board at #123 (middle of the 4th round).

A GM has his head up his backside if he is not trying to select the BPA at a PON with each pick. Reaches screw franchises.

By your logic, you would be fine if the team selected Woods at #17 overall.

Most likely, we could have had Travis Jones and J.T. Woods with our pick in round 4.

Comment

Working...
                          X