Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Our trade offer would have been the better deal. Both our third and 5th round picks were better. I do not think division rivalry trades are the taboo they used to be. We saw lots of teams making those trades. I think DEN would have taken the better offer, which would have been ours because that is what would have given them the best draft capital.
    So our best use of draft capital was to trade our 3rd and 5th to a divisional opponent for a 2 down rotational DL and then trade up AGAIN for a punter in the 5th? You say value but I don’t think you actually know what that means.

Honestly you might want to try a Ravens board so you can circle jerk about Jones with them. Make sure they know how bad they are at evaluating punters though.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

I disagree. Sometimes a player falls unexpectedly. That is what happened with Keenan Allen and happened with Travis Jones. Their pre-draft rankings and fall are eerily similar. Both were rated as a first half of the second round consensus pick, but there were some pundits in each case that had each player rated as a first round player. Yet, both players fell to exactly pick #76 overall. In the case Allen, it did not mean that he was not great value as a draft pick. I think the same will be true of Jones.

And then, of course, as could only happen with our team, we ended up selecting a DL player in round 5 instead of solving our major problems at P, costing us Araiza.

So, we ended up missing out on a player that was way better than the player we got and then later tried to cover the position with a lesser player, costing us a chance at a player that most think will be a good starting punter, something we really have not had since Scifres.

Score that missing a golden opportunity to get great value in round 3; reaching for poor value; trying to fill the missed golden opportunity position later with a weak player that causes us to miss a good player that would have filled an important need for us at another position. Yes, I am frustrated that Telesco turned gold into mud.
      We'll see. A few years ago I'm sure there were people on this board who wanted Maurice Hurst (who was considered a first-round talent) in the third round and hated the Justin Jones pick. Now they're both not with the teams that drafted them.I bring this up because I really think you're overreacting about a defensive tackle picked in the third round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

So our best use of draft capital was to trade our 3rd and 5th to a divisional opponent for a 2 down rotational DL and then trade up AGAIN for a punter in the 5th? You say value but I don’t think you actually know what that means.

Honestly you might want to try a Ravens board so you can circle jerk about Jones with them. Make sure they know how bad they are at evaluating punters though.
        I indicated that I would have first attempted to trade our next year's 4th round pick to move up. Having failed that I would have traded the 3rd and 5th as HOU did for the pick to get a player that was rated a full round better than his draft slot.

Then, I would have used next year's 4th to get back into the 5th to get Araiza so we could actually have a starting caliber punter on the roster.

Had I been able to trade next year's 4th, I simply would have taken Araiza with our 5th round pick.

At that point, I would have had Travis Jones and Matt Araiza versus J.T. Woods and Otito Ogbonnia. I think both players I would have had are better than either of the players we actually got.

Comment

• Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

We'll see. A few years ago I'm sure there were people on this board who wanted Maurice Hurst (who was considered a first-round talent) in the third round and hated the Justin Jones pick. Now they're both not with the teams that drafted them.I bring this up because I really think you're overreacting about a defensive tackle picked in the third round.
          Hurst was medical faller. That player was Dean this year.

Jones is rock solid with no medical issues. He fell like Keenan Allen fell. He will be a good player. The difference between him and Woods on the consensus board was 93 players--and it ended up contributing to our failure to get Araiza. I would say my reaction is exactly as it should be to a pretty big mistake that we made.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Hurst was medical faller. That player was Dean this year.

Jones is rock solid with no medical issues. He fell like Keenan Allen fell. He will be a good player. The difference between him and Woods on the consensus board was 93 players--and it ended up contributing to our failure to get Araiza. I would say my reaction is exactly as it should be to a pretty big mistake that we made.
            As I said, you could be right. But I seriously doubt Travis Jones and Matt Araiza are the difference makers you're building them up to be.

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

I agree 100% that we only have so many picks. That is why it is so important to get the best value with each pick.
              Thanks Captain Obvious.

captain-obvious-thank-you.gif
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

As I said, you could be right. But I seriously doubt Travis Jones and Matt Araiza are the difference makers you're building them up to be.
                I suspect Travis Jones will be better than any DL player on our roster right now. He has more talent than any of our DL players and he is a very hard worker that keeps himself in great shape. I a not saying that this will happen in year 1, but I think it will happen by year 3.

Araiza should be an above average starting punter. We currently are among the short list of teams that might have the worst starting punter. Araiza would be a large upgrade immediately at the P position.

Our front office is stupid if rolls with a guy that not good enough to stay in the league.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I suspect Travis Jones will be better than any DL player on our roster right now. He has more talent than any of our DL players and he is a very hard worker that keeps himself in great shape. I a not saying that this will happen in year 1, but I think it will happen by year 3.

Araiza should be an above average starting punter. We currently are among the short list of teams that might have the worst starting punter. Araiza would be a large upgrade immediately at the P position.

Our front office is stupid if rolls with a guy that not good enough to stay in the league.
                  I actually think it’s even more stupid that you keep derailing threads like this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I actually think it’s even more stupid that you keep derailing threads like this one.
                    My discussion is about our third round pick and why it was not as good as it could have been. This thread is about our third round pick.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

My discussion is about our third round pick and why it was not as good as it could have been. This thread is about our third round pick.
                      Exactly… OUR third round pick, not Baltimore’s.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

Chain I don't know man. You seem to have everything figured out. Maybe you should get into GM'ing in the NFL I'm sure you could build a superbowl roster in year or two with your vast knowledge of the game and drafting. Your talent evals are off the charts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Exactly… OUR third round pick, not Baltimore’s.
                          The player we selected is not the one we should have. That is the problem with our third round pick. We were guilty of a major reach when a much better option was available. It was really two major errors at once that contributed to a third error being made later in the draft.

The thread is about our third round pick. It is not post only if you are going to sing the praises of our front office for their choice.

Comment

Working...
                          X