Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Repost....
    I can do that (saves sanity . . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

There was discussion of Travis but mostly as a Rd2 pick, not so much as #17. He was one of many IDL options discussed - BEFORE they traded for Khalil with their 2nd and signed 2 starting IDL FA’s. Are they the greatest IDL in the history of sport - no. Are they competent professional IDL that get the job done - yes. Utilize date stamps, they can help you.

I don’t disagree Travis Jones looks like a solid NFL prospect, i like him. I disagree they should have traded their 4th to move up to get him in the 3rd after we had signed two IDL just prior to the draft. That would be two mid picks for a guy that probably won’t play much at all this year. this is a go for it year, its not a foundation roster building for tomorrow year. They are looking to win NOW.

I understand your allegiance to the big board, I understand their assessment of JTW. If they are right, it was a bad pick. They are not right all of the time, in fact by the 3rd round and later they are more wrong than right. You assume he would still be there in Rd4, that is simply a guess - it is factually unknowable. Its a bet. You want to make a bet - that is fine, call it a bet and stop saying your bets are facts and any disagreement is wrong. You completely miss the pieces that Staley envisions he needed, instead wanting to overload on IDL. He wants to move his best defender not on the line, Derwin, out of a traditional cover-2 safety role, he needs a back end ball hawk to do that. He didnt want another CB, he signed the top CB FA on the market. He wants a blazing fast sure handed deep FS. So other consensus board eaters value athletic strong safety Derwin-light types who can play up in the box and do multiple things, and they value JT less. Thats fine for a team has no SS, but we already have Derwin. I trust Staley sees the full picture. The more I have thought about it, the more I’ve learned to see his brilliance. Time will tell, you are not “right” - your guess may become correct someday. I tend to doubt it but no 3rd round pick is a lock for anything.

I was strongly in favor of drafting Herbert when Pick6 was called at the podium. You moaned what a horrible pick it was. You missed on the best pick since LT, if not the best pick in franchise history, try to embrace a modicum of humility.
      There were several people that discussed Travis Jones at #17 overall on this forum. He was a late first round/early second round player all the way leading up to the draft just like Keenan Allen was back in 2013.

The Mack trade and IDL signings are, of course, irrelevant to the need to draft a player like Jones. Jones will likely be better than SJD and Johnson. PFF numbers indicate that SJD is an average starter and everyone else is a backup caliber player, including Austin Johnson. The IDL remains the weakest position on our roster of the starting 22. Jerry Tillery remains a starter in our base defense unless we start Fehoko (which would at least be better than Tillery). Fox is one of the few DL players in the league with a worse run defending grade than Tillery. Covington is not very good. Ogbonnia is someone that an IDL needy team is forced to draft when it fails to draft a better player like Travis Jones. None of the NFL experienced IDL players have a run defending grade greater than 65.0 (SJD).

Further, the trade would not have involved our 2022 4th round pick. In 2022 draft capital, it would have involved our 5th round pick. Houston actually traded their slightly worse 3rd and 5th round picks to move up to #75, the very spot we needed to reach. Our 3rd and 5th were both earlier picks than HOU's, and thus of greater value.

Jones likely would have been a starter for us on day 1 because our IDL is still not good right now, though it is marginally better at defending against the run than it was last year.

I have always understood what Staley is trying to do with James. I do not agree with how our front office went about trying to do it, but the player selected (Woods) may be fine for the purpose for which he was selected.

Your comments about Herbert are weak. I was the only person on this forum that had the top 3 QBs in the exact right order (Herbert>>>>>Burrow>>>>>Tagovailoa). Herbert has been better than absolutely everyone thought he was going to be, including our own front office and former head coach, so I am not going to sweat it too much that I had a player at another position ranked ahead of Herbert. I was much more right about Herbert than most were.

And everyone that wanted a QB cheered when we took Herbert at #6 overall because he was the only QB in the top 3 QBs still on the board when it was our turn to pick, so your celebration of the pick really says very little. That said, I agree that Herbert is probably the best pick in the history of our franchise.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

There were several people that discussed Travis Jones at #17 overall on this forum. He was a late first round/early second round player all the way leading up to the draft just like Keenan Allen was back in 2013.

The Mack trade and IDL signings are, of course, irrelevant to the need to draft a player like Jones. Jones will likely be better than SJD and Johnson. PFF numbers indicate that SJD is an average starter and everyone else is a backup caliber player, including Austin Johnson. The IDL remains the weakest position on our roster of the starting 22. Jerry Tillery remains a starter in our base defense unless we start Fehoko (which would at least be better than Tillery). Fox is one of the few DL players in the league with a worse run defending grade than Tillery. Covington is not very good. Ogbonnia is someone that an IDL needy team is forced to draft when it fails to draft a better player like Travis Jones. None of the NFL experienced IDL players have a run defending grade greater than 65.0 (SJD).

Further, the trade would not have involved our 2022 4th round pick. In 2022 draft capital, it would have involved our 5th round pick. Houston actually traded their slightly worse 3rd and 5th round picks to move up to #75, the very spot we needed to reach. Our 3rd and 5th were both earlier picks than HOU's, and thus of greater value.

Jones likely would have been a starter for us on day 1 because our IDL is still not good right now, though it is marginally better at defending against the run than it was last year.

I have always understood what Staley is trying to do with James. I do not agree with how our front office went about trying to do it, but the player selected (Woods) may be fine for the purpose for which he was selected.

Your comments about Herbert are weak. I was the only person on this forum that had the top 3 QBs in the exact right order (Herbert>>>>>Burrow>>>>>Tagovailoa). Herbert has been better than absolutely everyone thought he was going to be, including our own front office and former head coach, so I am not going to sweat it too much that I had a player at another position ranked ahead of Herbert. I was much more right about Herbert than most were.

And everyone that wanted a QB cheered when we took Herbert at #6 overall because he was the only QB in the top 3 QBs still on the board when it was our turn to pick, so your celebration of the pick really says very little. That said, I agree that Herbert is probably the best pick in the history of our franchise.
          You think you called Herbert correctly, and you think the FO had no idea what they were drafting in Herbert. Not sure why you think the latter, but we know you thoughts on the former as you wrote it contemporaneously. if you were GM, you would have passed on Herbert and drafted Simmons. You would have set the franchise back in a decade of QB hell with that decision. I, in contrast, would have taken Herbert and that is exactly what the historic record shows. To quote the hindsight-aided Chaincrusher who did not know that an elite franchise QB is greater value than an LB/S hybrid:

I have already acknowledged that Herbert was even better than I thought he would be and that I was mistaken when I suggested that he did not carry the value of the 6th overall pick.
          Simmons has 3.5 sacks and 2 INTs in his career to date. You took this quasi-safety #6 over Herbert but bitch for dozens of pages that TT shouldn’t take a S in Rd 3. Lol.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Tua would have been great value at pick #6.

God i missed this!
            This thread is rapidly closing in on the Herbert thread for over all volume, thanks to one man.veryourhead:
            Nah, it’s all of us.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

You don't have to thank me...
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You think you called Herbert correctly, and you think the FO had no idea what they were drafting in Herbert. Not sure why you think the latter, but we know you thoughts on the former as you wrote it contemporaneously. if you were GM, you would have passed on Herbert and drafted Simmons. You would have set the franchise back in a decade of QB hell with that decision. I, in contrast, would have taken Herbert and that is exactly what the historic record shows. To quote the hindsight-aided Chaincrusher who did not know that an elite franchise QB is greater value than an LB/S hybrid:

Simmons has 3.5 sacks and 2 INTs in his career to date. You took this quasi-safety #6 over Herbert but bitch for dozens of pages that TT shouldn’t take a S in Rd 3. Lol.
                  Let me say it again. As far as I am aware, I am the only person on this forum that had the top 3 QBs in the correct order in terms of how good each would be relative to each other.

Nobody got Herbert exactly right, nobody. At least I got Herbert right as the best QB of the 2020 draft class. Just about everyone else thought Joe Burrow was the best QB in the draft class and that Tagovailoa was the second best. I was more right than anyone else in a situation in which everyone was wrong at least to some degree.

Our front office decided that they were taking a QB no matter what. From that position, neither our front office nor you get any credit when other teams made the choice for us as to which QB we were getting.

Had you been on record like me as saying that Herbert was the best QB in the draft class, then maybe you would deserve some credit for your position.

Like I said, I am not going to sweat at all the fact that I had another player ranked higher than Herbert. Everyone got Herbert wrong and wrong to a significant degree. I was more right than everyone else, but I was wrong about just how great he would end up being and I have always acknowledged that.

Even if I were all wrong about Herbert, and I was not (only partially wrong), that would not even speak to any issue in this thread. It is simply poor argumentation offered on your part, which is a tell that you realize the positions you have taken in this thread are weak.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Bolt-O. Can't we just open up a new topic and call it "I'm right and you're wrong" or "whose got the biggest dick"? Then we can dump all of this in there and they have a place to "debate" other than random threads and topics. What say you.........

Animal House Eyebrows GIF

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                      Bolt-O. Can't we just open up a new topic and call it "I'm right and you're wrong" or "whose got the biggest dick"? Then we can dump all of this in there and they have a place to "debate" other than random threads and topics. What say you.........

I’d be afraid to open a thread about whose dick is biggest.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I'd rather not, lol. In my opinion, being 'right' in a guess of someone's personnel decisions is nice, but correcting your viewpoint to what actually happened shows growth, and leads to better accuracy the next time around. In the grand scheme it's really just an academic exercise, unless you have a bet on it. On winning arguments on draft picks, we really need to see the results of at least pre-season, but only the team can really be judged, not a rando internet poster.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          You don't have to thank me...
                          I can’t take all of the credit. I do appreciate the accolades, its quite kind. You’ve been particularly kind, thank you
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X