• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Was that the press conference for the second day round? I saw the one for the first day. TT said that they would decide depending on how the draft went. I'm sure he and BS would have loved to get the OTs who were to their liking. But things didn't turn out that way. None of the very good RTs were remaining when the Chargers picked again.

Staley did want DB depth. He also said he wanted to be stronger at the LOS. That includes IDL and backup edge. Don't count those out, there's still more work to do with them.

As for this pick. Woods speed is appealing, and his takeaway abilities add to the guys on the secondary who gets them themselves. He might do the job like Adrian Phillips or Eric Weddle in his earlier years.
    dimebacker/Money ??
    one of my infamous assertions, was that Weddle wasn't much more than a dimebacker.... :coffee:

was hoping for DeAngelo Malone for backup edge, but my guess is that Stalesco doesn't want to endure the development w/him, and thinks Woods is quicker to the Money than Malone to the QB ??

will be looking forward to see who we get as reinforcement for the IDL.... ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost View Post

This is not your personal Craig Mager thread. This is NOT that thread.
      I am NOT the one that brought up Craig Mager, so get your facts straight before commenting as you have.

I merely responded to the false allegation to the effect that J.T. Woods is a lot faster than Mager was.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am NOT the one that brought up Craig Mager, so get your facts straight before commenting as you have.

I merely responded to the false allegation to the effect that J.T. Woods is a lot faster than Mager was.
        Stills thinks this is a Craig Mager thread.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost View Post

I'm rolling with Ted Nguyen, the Baylor staff and Staley's opinion on this, thanks. They've been watching Woods' tape for months, and his closing and recovery speed are ridiculous.
          Discussions of traits are not a rank on a big board. Just about all of the big boards say big reach with the Woods pick and the situation is even worse when we easily could have traded into #75 as that pick actually was traded away and selected the consensus #44 overall player instead of the consensus #137 overall player. But we exercised poor draft strategy and failed to structure our draft to achieve the best results.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Who covered Tyquan Thornton in practice? Jalen Pitre, JT Woods and Kalon Barnes.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

dimebacker/Money ??
              one of my infamous assertions, was that Weddle wasn't much more than a dimebacker.... :coffee:

was hoping for DeAngelo Malone for backup edge, but my guess is that Stalesco doesn't want to endure the development w/him, and thinks Woods is quicker to the Money than Malone to the QB ??

will be looking forward to see who we get as reinforcement for the IDL.... ??
              What happens if Chargers add Kalon Barnes at DB to the mix? That is alot of team speed on defense and special teams. I am quite sure IDL is coming as is CB, RB, and a P.

Comment

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Heartbreak kid is appropriate, breaking lots of charger fans hearts tonight
                haha okay that's the only mean thing I'll say, couldn't resist.
                Tom is a veteran GM, no facking way he thinks this kid isn't there next round or within range of a trade up in the 4th
                disappointed in Tom's lack of patience here.

So far my picks woulda been
                1. Penning
                3. Cameron thomas sdsu edge

My take away is that we want ballhawks on D
                and technically sound guys on the Oline

trust the process (I suppose)
                I would have taken Penning and Travis Jones with a trade up to #75 and I did call BAL taking Jones before it went down, so I would have known to trade up to #75 to get Jones.

I would have wanted to trade up to take Breece Hall (he would have been just perfect for our team), but we did not have anything this year to give a team we were trading with, so it may not have worked out. I am interested in Strong as a fall back option in round 4.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

A consensus big board had him at #137 overall. Brugler (cited in this thread) had him at #128. Walter Football (cited in this thread) had him as a round 4-6 player. Zierlein (nfl.com) had him as a round 4 prospect. PFF had him at #154 (round 5). The Sporting News did not have him in their top 150 list (round 5 or worse). I could go on and on. It is very likely that he would have been on the board at #123 (middle of the 4th round).

A GM has his head up his backside if he is not trying to select the BPA at a PON with each pick. Reaches screw franchises.

By your logic, you would be fine if the team selected Woods at #17 overall.

Most likely, we could have had Travis Jones and J.T. Woods with our pick in round 4.
                  No....

What I said is they like a particular player and they think he wont be there by the next time they pick!

:hello:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Rest of my notes from the OU game.

36:23 Bad rep, takes a bad angle inside and gets stuck on the blocker on a WR screen, allows 1 blocker to block 2. Recovers and closes for tackle.tackleh play call with WR screen to NB blitz side but he could have held it to 10 instead of 25.

37:11 Gets blocked by lead RB on QB TD run. Would like to see him come up and pop the blocker but probably nothing he could do there, too many options for runner.

49:22. Good read on flea flicker, closes down the route.

52:04 Missed tackle on QB scramble, takes a bad outside angle and doesn't break down in open field vs mobile QB

55:09 Reads screen well and takes on and defeats blocker. Pass dropped so no tkl opportunity.

1:32:11 Solid tackle and awareness on WR screen. Needs to wrap up ibstead of using shoulder but he had the sideline

1:57:36. Ugly. Delivers well timed big hit on WR but WR has size and keeps the ball and his feet. Woods doesn't wrap up and doesn't bring his feet with him. 15 yards turns into 50.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Overall Baylor secondary played a great game, held OU to 14 points (had been averaging 49) and there were multiple reps where the QB had all day to throw but couldn't find anyone open.

Well coached DBs, very similar scheme to LAC.

Good: Woods is a physical specimen, long, tall, and well built. Very fast and springy, natural athleticism without being frail. Good awareness and fill/rotation vs the pass, very good ball awareness. Diagnoses screens well. Physical and violent player. Not afraid of contact or taking on blockers. Man/zone diverse. Great closing speed.

Bad: Needs to know when to break down and wrap up instead of going for the big hit. Sometimes slow in diagnosing run, but he is definitely coached to stay deep so don't know if that's diagnosis or scheme. Not going to stay with agile receivers.

Other notes:
                        Ebner reminds me of Ekeler.

I also watched Tyquan Thorton (drafted by NE 2nd round). His release has improved a lot but still slow and inconsistent. Willing downfield blocker. Showed absolutely no ability to run routes downfield or sink into a cut. Purely vertical player, release and then go. He looked better than early in the year but still a project for an NFL WR. Faster and more physical than Guyton, but other than that a worse WR.

Waco had some talent in the stands.

Will watch BIG12 championship game tomorrow.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I would have taken Penning and Travis Jones with a trade up to #75 and I did call BAL taking Jones before it went down, so I would have known to trade up to #75 to get Jones.

I would have wanted to trade up to take Breece Hall (he would have been just perfect for our team), but we did not have anything this year to give a team we were trading with, so it may not have worked out. I am interested in Strong as a fall back option in round 4.
                          I never play the trade-game because you can know if anyone is willing to trade down for standard compensation
                          but I hear you, I thought for sure we would trade up to the top of round 3
                          It's not Woods fault that Tom reached, so I'll be rooting hard for the kid.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X