• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RollingThunder
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Mark my words, this guy is going to be a stud.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

maybe we can put him at wideout on hailmarys with his ball skills and speed
      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Comment

• Grinners
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Put him in the Dime and you got a lot of speed and turnover potential on the field.

J.C Jackson
          Michael Davis
          Asante Samuel Jr.

Derwin James Jr.
          Nasir Adderly
          JT Woods

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

I get the disappointment. I had never heard of this guy. If I were running the draft and had stayed at our selection I would have picked Nakobe Dean.

I was initially disappointed, but then I reminded myself that players such as Dean and Travis Jones, both of whom were projected to go much earlier, fell to the third round for a reason. There's no guarantee on any of these guys starting in the NFL or even playing beyond three years.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I would have taken Penning and Travis Jones with a trade up to #75 and I did call BAL taking Jones before it went down, so I would have known to trade up to #75 to get Jones.

I would have wanted to trade up to take Breece Hall (he would have been just perfect for our team), but we did not have anything this year to give a team we were trading with, so it may not have worked out. I am interested in Strong as a fall back option in round 4.
              Generally, i liked your draft selections in the mock draftl

However, with Penning you would get a guy who will need a few years before being a solid or even first rate OT;
              with Jones, you would get a guy who will also need time to develop (like most DTs), and only currently replicates what Johnson/Day do.

I don't want Strong, better rbs available.

Chargers needed guys who can get up to speed sooner, being in win now mode.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Chyron said he was the only DB in the country with 2+ INT TDs who only gave up one TD in pass defense. Another post is he gave up 1 TD in his last 2 years. He didnt play at North-Central Iowa Tech A&M, he played for the Baylor Fucking Bears against real football teams with real QBs and WRs. 1 TD in 2 years is stellar if correct.

Its quite possible pundits all overlooked him due to Pitre and his grade is incorrect. I don’t know - I see highlights that he is faster than shit and catches the ball when he touches the ball in a hungry hawk-like manner. I’m not going to be watching all of the Bears tape to look for his bad plays. I read the scout questions about tracking and technique, I assume Staley saw all of that and thinks he can fix what needs fixing and loves the unique athleticism. 97 RAS, was it?

Staley wants strong nickel and dime defense, he sees JT filling a piece to that design obviously. Staley’s concept uses extra DB(s) to come up in rush defense or cover TEs and RBs to keep offenses honest to a degree vs LBs. Why - because typical LBs can’t fucking cover today’s typical TEs and RBs. Derwin is that special dude. To enable him to deploy Derwin in that freak beast role, instead of a 3rd or 4th CB, he likes to use a Safety. he doesn’t replace Adderley with JT, he adds JT to Adderley in the back cover to not let anyone take the big play over the top. And IF either Adderley or Derwin get hurt, we’re not left waving Aloha to opponent receivers running wild in our secondary where or S3 is sub-average. Thats what he did well at Baylor. 1 TD in 2 years?

the Mager shit was funny. 40yd times don’t mean a lot to a lot of players but the two defensive positions it matters most is outside CB and deep safety - those guys run 20+ yards all of the time on plays and a extra 1-2 yards is the difference between PD/INT and Opponent TD. Safeties read and react to the entire field and then go get to it - faster will get there more often than slower - its just physics tharrr. Mager was stiff and not fast and played unaware and slower than his 40 time. His 10 yard time on a track did not show up on the football field, we all know it so please stop with the 10 yard burst. JT looks like he plays pretty fucking fast.

Welcome to the team, JT!
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
                  Put him in the Dime and you got a lot of speed and turnover potential on the field.

J.C Jackson
                  Michael Davis
                  Asante Samuel Jr.

Derwin James Jr.
                  Nasir Adderly
                  JT Woods
                  exactly - and you’ve freed DJ up to play the nasty sheriff and make arrests all over the field or erase a key weapon (e.g. Kelce). I get the why and look forward to seeing if Staley is right in his vision. If JT translates to next level, he’ll have a notable role. Most of us saw that they needed 2 upgrades at DB vs last year - they may have just got the second.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Da Bears.
                    The Baylor Bears.
                    Big 12.
                    Put some of that in your pipe and smoke it.
                    Derwin and StaleyD approved.
                    Tranq...stick to ST & podcast.
                    dmac on fire.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

A consensus big board had him at #137 overall. Brugler (cited in this thread) had him at #128. Walter Football (cited in this thread) had him as a round 4-6 player. Zierlein (nfl.com) had him as a round 4 prospect. PFF had him at #154 (round 5). The Sporting News did not have him in their top 150 list (round 5 or worse). I could go on and on. It is very likely that he would have been on the board at #123 (middle of the 4th round).

A GM has his head up his backside if he is not trying to select the BPA at a PON with each pick. Reaches screw franchises.

By your logic, you would be fine if the team selected Woods at #17 overall.

Most likely, we could have had Travis Jones and J.T. Woods with our pick in round 4.
                      With those elite traits - not a chance. Chargers were lucky he was still available to them in the 3rd round.

Zierlen is an offensive line guy....don't make too much of his opinion on other positions.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                        One thing None of yall can argue is he was not on Anybodys radar.Thats why most of us are trippin and rightly so.He is as of now a reach.Hopefully he proves not to be.Me personally am waiting to see wtf TT is gonna do about RT.If its Storm or Pip then this pick was a mistake.
                        I wasn’t surprised with this pick, Staley is going to take secondary players high. although I will admit missing out on travis jones by a handful of picks was a stunner. I never expected jones to go that late and it would have been nice to add a run stuffing machine to a d-line that struggled to stop the run last year. The kid is good otherwise the ravens wouldn’t have touched him. Guys like travis jones make you a LOS team which staley talks about all the time.

about woods—

Woods led the country in interceptions last year with 6. He’s a ballhawk. Woods really impressed me at the senior bowl practices and later in the game too. He was one of those guys that I went like, who is this guy? Then he really popped at the combine too. At the senior bowl he picked off several passes during practices and in the game he got one and almost had a second pick. The kid has a knack for finding the ball and he returned three for scores last season one fumble and two INTs. He needs polish, he has to work on getting stronger, technique, and tackling better but those types of ballhawking instincts are really welcome in a guy that was a track athlete in HS. I don’t think you can teach that, the missed tackles are an issue, he’ll need to use his speed better and not over committ putting himself in a position to throw arm tackles at ball carriers. This could also be an experience issue. So his best football is still ahead. The guy has good hands for a DB, a lot of DBs find the ball but can’t finish the play, this guy attacks the ball like a WR. As for the corner talk, I don’t think he has the flexibility/fluidity in his hips to play corner, while he has fantastic straight line speed he can be stiff in the hips which causes him trouble in his turns. He needs to be back there like a center fielder and then clean up what’s in front of him. His make up speed is fantastic so he’ll be a guy that can recover quickly even when he reads the play incorrectly. His closing speed will translate to PBUs and perhaps interceptions for his teammates too. They say he played some slot at baylor but I haven’t seen those plays on tape. It’s possible they could have grabbed this guy in the 4rth round, IDK and it’s hard to say for sure. Staley likes him and the scouts liked him, also the guys on ESPN were gushing over the kid yesterday. It also gives the chargers insurance in case adderly walks after 2022. With all the big contracts pending between james and herbert, a guy like adderly might be allowed to walk? IDK and I like adderly a lot but you can’t pay everybody. For 2022 season tho, this is about gillman not adderly….woods will be taking reps from gillman…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Unless you scouted this guy yourself before today with at least 15 minutes of game film, calling him a bust because of something you read on Bleacher Report is a bit hasty.

This guy has NFL traits, unlike Craig Mager. Watch some flm, sleep on it, watch some more.
                          I get what you are saying but do you think there is any chance Woods is on the board when we pick in the 4th round?

Comment

Working...
                          X