2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

and last, and re: the Oline, my personal wish is that we keep Feiler 'til we're good on the Oline, coz we ain't there yet folks.

personally would have Jamaree as my John Havlicek of the Oline, keep Linsley on the bench this preseason, and let Salyer learn the pivot, and let him be available to back up every position on the line, come the start of the season.

if we can't/don't sign Pips, would put Feiler in there @RT to start, if he falters, then Salyer is there, and we still have Matt as backup.

we have to draft for the Oline this draft, and preferably @every position.... let's not get ahead of ourselves.... protect the franchise.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      and last, and re: the Oline, my personal wish is that we keep Feiler 'til we're good on the Oline, coz we ain't there yet folks.

personally would have Jamaree as my John Havlicek of the Oline, keep Linsley on the bench this preseason, and let Salyer learn the pivot, and let him be available to back up every position on the line, come the start of the season.

if we can't/don't sign Pips, would put Feiler in there @RT to start, if he falters, then Salyer is there, and we still have Matt as backup.

we have to draft for the Oline this draft, and preferably @every position.... let's not get ahead of ourselves.... protect the franchise.
      Feiler's done...he's the weak link...need to upgrade...and add QUALITY depth...

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Feiler's done...he's the weak link...need to upgrade...and add QUALITY depth...
        anybody have his pff grade for last season, and how sure are we that he's not a better RT than LG ??

not to mention we have Storm, Jaimes and who else to fill in his blank if we off him....
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Storm and Jaimes are done !

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

KC’s last 3 #1 picks were a RB, CB and Edge
            Eagles last 3 #1 picks were WR, WR, DT
            Bengals last 3 #1 picks were QB, WR, DB
            49ers last 3 #1 picks were DT, WR, QB

Each invested in trench 0 or 1 of last 3 times. It’s fallacy to assume the top teams always invest in the trench first. Top teams don’t devote EVERY #1 pick a trencher. Our last 2 #1 picks were trench, 3 of last 4 years (5 picks - the off year had 2 #1s - Herbie and K9, neither trench). TT has been investing in the trench, more than the final 4 teams this year. alas the 3rd (earliest) of those #1 was Tillery, just a bad pick as he didn’t properly understand what elite skills are needed for the next level for an interior DT - hopefully he does now. Tillery lacks the power needed for inside trench warfare, he has been easily removed from plays his entire career. Hence showing that over-obsession with trench to reach for a trencher is a bad approach.

My 64k foot macro view of the the Chargers is they need speed and skill. We have good WRs but not good for rapid slot separation, running away from DBs / LBs on crossing routes or top-tearing speed that keeps the safeties back extra deep - hence more pressure on the OL and more Herbie trying to thread needles into invisible gaps. We have a great 3rd down back but we use him as an every-down power back because we don’t have an elite power back. Our best TE is average in a league where elite offensive TEs display a difference (KC anyone?). Our 3rd TE is little more than an added blocker. Our skill players are good at what they are but there are glaring gaps in creating an explosive offense.

we avgd 23 ppg and gave up 22.6. Thats the 10-7 record. Increase scoring to 27 ppg and we’re 12-5 with the same defense (hopefully the key starters are not injured again and we improve on defense)

A great new C/G is a nice addition and we do need a backup, Clapp is awful. But spending #1 on a bench-sitting backup will not improve the 2023 team much. Are we writing off 2023 as a rebuild year? I think not - I’d draft a C/G high-ceiling development guy later in the draft and load up on elite skill players in early Rds - BPA in the cluster of RB, WR, TE and Edge unless they are glaringly over-draft mistakes. I think there will be elite skill players early to choose from - then build depth thru the rest of the draft.
            With the way the team is built now, the chance of rookies coming in and being needed start right away are becoming less and less, and that’s a good thing! It just means the team is better and has less holes, I think in these next 3-4 drafts the chargers are going to have enough up front to load up on quality depth players than can eventually be counted on to become starters and in the short term can fill in competently for injured starters.

almost any position you draft right now is going to be a back up (at least short term) player regardless of the round they get drafted in…the argument that one position over another is a wasted pick because they’ll be back ups is going to be less valid going into these next few drafts…not every first round pick should be made with the thinking that the pick was wasted if the player doesn’t start in year one…

if they don’t find a way to resign pipkins and tranquill the team will have created two massive holes and missed a solid opportunity to add depth behind them…IMO this team is still not good enough overall to have the luxury of letting young guys with their prime still ahead of them walk for compensatory picks and bring in rookies to play with veteran established guys that can help them with their learning curve, the team is just not there yet…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

anybody have his pff grade for last season, and how sure are we that he's not a better RT than LG ??

not to mention we have Storm, Jaimes and who else to fill in his blank if we off him....
              Well first, I don't care what his PFF grade was, they suck.

Also we have shown zero interest in Fieler at RT so not sure why some keep saying that. Clearly we signed him to play OG.
              He saves 6.5 mil and we clearly need to make room. He helps do that.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                I like Mafi, he is a massive guy, but his pass blocking is probably going to drop him a bit in the draft, I’ll take mafi over jaimes or clapp right now, even with his lack of polish, the kid has an NFL body since he arrived at UCLA and with some NFL coaching he could easily become an above average performer…if KM is going to run more power type runs, Mafi is the type of guy you want, he’s a punishing run blocker and uber aggressive…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

their was a good article on bolts from the blue saying that pipkins market might not be as high as initially prognosticated, I'm not sure I buy it but the guy is saying 2 years 8-10mil with 5 mil in guarantees will get pipkins back in the building, if that’s actually the case, then it would be criminal to let him walk…we saw this play out with both nwosu and white last offseason, their markets turned out to be much lower and both signed for deals that would’ve been much friendlier for the chargers to keep them both rather than trade for mack and give up valuable draft capital in the process…the cap situation would not be what it is today had we kept nwosu and white, now white is helping the eagles win a superbowl…:shifty:

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I didn't mention anyone....this is my opinion. Who wrote what? Do you mean who I quoted?

Q Johnston, Addison, Hyatt, Downs, Flowers, Smith Njigba, Rice, Boutte, Mims, Washington, Jarrett, Hutchinson, Dell....all worth day 1-2 pick....just my opinion, but alot more than 4-5 guys...

Honestly, I am just arguing for the sake of integrity...if we don't select a single WR in this draft, fine by me...I just think there is a lot of quality thru round 3 that could really benefit the Bolts...and am a much bigger fan, after watching a bunch of film, of this years WR class, than most....obviously.
                    Not hard to upgrade our WRs after Allen and Williams…draft away! Although I will say I still don’t think we know what we have in Palmer, he gets off the line clean and can create space to make the catch, weird thing is Lombo usually had him on outs, which gives the defender more time to come back and make a play, can’t remember ever seeing him go across the middle, which with his size and hands is weird.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well first, I don't care what his PFF grade was, they suck.

Also we have shown zero interest in Fieler at RT so not sure why some keep saying that. Clearly we signed him to play OG.
                      He saves 6.5 mil and we clearly need to make room. He helps do that.
                      they also had no interest in Salyer as a starter on the Oline, and gave Storm every chance in the world.... would restructure Matt F.

Comment

• rensoul
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2023
                        • Send PM

they also had no interest in Salyer as a starter on the Oline, and gave Storm every chance in the world.... would restructure Matt F.
                        Keeping Storm on the roster was head scratching. The guy was so bad they didn't even trust him to be the back up and instead used Sarell. I don't know if it was a personal thing where they were emotionally attached to him or what but the team really could have used that roster spot for a useful player. Same with rostering 2 back up QB's who neither of which would likely give a team a good chance of winning.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

if they don’t find a way to resign pipkins and tranquill the team will have created two massive holes and missed a solid opportunity to add depth behind them…IMO this team is still not good enough overall to have the luxury of letting young guys with their prime still ahead of them walk for compensatory picks and bring in rookies to play with veteran established guys that can help them with their learning curve, the team is just not there yet…
                          if we can sign Pips for $6m or less, am in.... if he's a starting caliber RT in the NFL, we need to find a way to keep him.

if Feiler will restructure and take the $2m in contract that we would lose anyways in dead cap monies, think he is well worth keeping around for vet depth on the Oline, 'specially given he can play inside and out.

and got Fox and Van Noy on my list before Tranq, who eye really have no interest in resigning, as would much prefer Denzel in FA, and Sewell in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X