2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
    SPEEEEEEED SPEEEEED SPEEEEED!!!

I was harping on this last offseason. I was a little disappointed we didn't add another weapon for JH.

Well I'm not the only one.

https://www.chargers.com/news/group-...eason-priority

Here's my WR list assuming the Top 2-3 are gone.

1. Jaylin Hyatt. I have him the #4 WR.

If Hyatt is gone...

2. Zay Flowers
    3. Josh Downs.

This being a very weak WR draft class. If the WR they want isn't there there's a real possibility we could go Edge or TE, and pick up a FA WR. FA WR class is pretty weak as well.
    I dont think this is a very weak WR class...its just weak at the very top. There isnt a Chase or Jefferson worth a top 10 or 15 pick...but top 50 is stacked with talent. It also depends on what type of receiver you are looking for....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We dont need a Mike Williams...which is good, cause that is the type of receiver this class is weak on, outside of maybe Q Johnston....but there are speedy, shifty slot guys galore. IF that is something Staley and Moore want to add, they WILL be spoiled for choice.
    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

This being a very weak WR draft class. If the WR they want isn't there there's a real possibility we could go Edge or TE, and pick up a FA WR. FA WR class is pretty weak as well.
      I’m no expert but my first impressions are that this is the worse WR class we’ve seen in 4-5 years, maybe we’ve just been spoiled by some unusually great classes a few years in a row, I’m thinking there are probably 5-7 guys that went outside the first round in the last four drafts that would go in the first round in this draft, it’s that bad…the DBs are pretty much owning these guys in one on one practices…

the position that is absolutely popping to me is the Edge position, some teams are going to get future probowlers well into the 4rth round, it just seems like a really strong class for edge

center is going to be strong too, there will be good center into the 5 round

guard is not as strong IMO, maybe a handful are worthy of a too 100 pick, then a lot of average low rounder types

OT is okay, I think there are 2 maybe 3 guys worthy of a first round pick, another 3 worthy of a second round pick and except for the 1-2 guys almost all of these guys look like projects that will take time to develop

I’m like a couple of interior D-linemen, the kid from wisconsin has popped and has interior pass rushing chops, but overall I’m not a fan of the interior linemen in this class

the RB group is good, the safety group is good, the corner group is very good..

TE is deep as hell, I don’t see any standouts like kyle pitts or anything like that, but there are a lot of guys with intermediate ability that can catch the ball, so a lot of hunter henry types, teams should be able to pick up a good middle of the road pass catcher in this draft…the giant kid from georgia reminds me of marcedes lewis of the packers….

I like the QBs at the top of this draft, but I don’t see much after that initial group, a lot of PS camp body types, it doesn’t look like a good group to me…

oops, I forgot linebacker, first impressions this is a very strong group of off the ball LBs and deep too…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I dont think this is a very weak WR class...its just weak at the very top. There isnt a Chase or Jefferson worth a top 10 or 15 pick...but top 50 is stacked with talent. It also depends on what type of receiver you are looking for....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We dont need a Mike Williams...which is good, cause that is the type of receiver this class is weak on, outside of maybe Q Johnston....but there are speedy, shifty slot guys galore. IF that is something Staley and Moore want to add, they WILL be spoiled for choice.
          Actually this has been discussed quite a bit already as probably the weakest draft in 5-6 years. There's no depth. Pretty big drop off after the top 5 wr's.

Same places I listen to believe this is one of the deepest Edge drafts in years. So if my WR is off the board then I would be completely fine with Edge. But we have to load up on speed that is a must.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Actually this has been discussed quite a bit already as probably the weakest draft in 5-6 years. There's no depth. Pretty big drop off after the top 5 wr's.

Same places I listen to believe this is one of the deepest Edge drafts in years. So if my WR is off the board then I would be completely fine with Edge. But we have to load up on speed that is a must.
            Yea...I get that...I just dont agree...jmo. Hell, 2 big guys in last years class...Wilson and Olave, both said Jaxon Smith-Njigba was the best receiver on the Buckeyes that year they came out...he was easily the most productive..and he is in THIS draft...

I think a couple years down the road, this class will look a lot better, in hindsight....but again, thats just me.
            The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Red flag: Jaxson missed a lot of games this at season.
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Ah man! That center from minnesota (smitz?) wow that kid is something! Most impressive interior lineman I’ve seen at the senior bowl practices…kids a game changer inside, I don’t think he’s lost a single rep all week, talk about dominant, perfect pick up at 21 if you want to have someone that can fill in for linsley at a high level after linsley moves on and if he gets injured…also, I don’t see any reason he can’t play guard as well…

the only reason I mention shmitz is because you at #21 you are not going to have the opportunity to draft the very best at their respective position, maybe RB and C but getting the best guy at something is always a good idea IMO, the WR group has been underwhelming so far, to get the best interior lineman, with uncertainty of fieler’s return, salyers long term health, and linsey’s advanced age, I think you at least think about it, edge is so deep that the drop off from 21 to 54 in terms of the caliber of player you can get is way smaller than the drop off on Offensive line or wider reciever…

I’m not advocating that we go O-line again i round one but I like the idea of getting guys that are the best at their respective positions that are left on the board, schmitz is a fucking beast!
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Yea...I get that...I just dont agree...jmo. Hell, 2 big guys in last years class...Wilson and Olave, both said Jaxon Smith-Njigba was the best receiver on the Buckeyes that year they came out...he was easily the most productive..and he is in THIS draft...

I think a couple years down the road, this class will look a lot better, in hindsight....but again, thats just me.
                  You mention one of the top guys without addressing what he wrote, after the too 4-5 guys there’s not that nice grouping of guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds like we’ve grown accustomed too in the last 4-5 years…and certainly not speed guys, I’m not impressed with this crop of WRs after the top guys are gone, so maybe if we land one of those guys in round one but then nothing worth drafting until day three, at least that’s my early impression, things will probably change as the process rolls on…

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                    Ah man! That center from minnesota (smitz?) wow that kid is something! Most impressive interior lineman I’ve seen at the senior bowl practices…kids a game changer inside, I don’t think he’s lost a single rep all week, talk about dominant, perfect pick up at 21 if you want to have someone that can fill in for linsley at a high level after linsley moves on and if he gets injured…also, I don’t see any reason he can’t play guard as well…

the only reason I mention shmitz is because you at #21 you are not going to have the opportunity to draft the very best at their respective position, maybe RB and C but getting the best guy at something is always a good idea IMO, the WR group has been underwhelming so far, to get the best interior lineman, with uncertainty of fieler’s return, salyers long term health, and linsey’s advanced age, I think you at least think about it, edge is so deep that the drop off from 21 to 54 in terms of the caliber of player you can get is way smaller than the drop off on Offensive line or wider reciever…

I’m not advocating that we go O-line again i round one but I like the idea of getting guys that are the best at their respective positions that are left on the board, schmitz is a fucking beast!
                    Should definitely be in the mix if there at 21.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

TE for me...
                      1. Washington
                      2. Kincaid
                      3. Mayer

Specifically for our Charger offense.
                      Overall I have Mayers just above Kincaid, but I think Moorr would get more out of Kincaid for us.

Washington at 1 because I'm a traits over production guy.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I remember when the Cowboys drafted their OC late first (damn, name escapes) it was considered a reach by many.

If this kid is as dominant as you say, he has to be in the cluster at 21.
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                          Senior Bowl, related draft trends

February 1, 2023
                          0 Comment
                          With our usual eyes on the ground unfortunately sidelined for this Senior Bowl cycle, combined with the TV abysmal (we’re looking at you NFL Network) coverage available up in these parts, its been harder than to get a feel for what’s actually evolving in Mobile this week. Needless to say, what we can say is that the biggest story, both literally and figuratively at this week’s Senior Bowl has been massive Ohio State OT Dawand Jones who has given new meaning to the concept of blocking out the sun. For those who missed it, Jones measured in at 6-8 and a reported 375 pounds with 36.5 inch arms and a record 89.8 inch wingspan. And for the most part, Jones has dominated through the first couple of days as it really is over when he gets his hands on people, However, we did see one play on Tuesday when Jones was a little slow to react to a quick outside move (by a player we couldn’t identify). And that will be the question for Jones going forward; can he move his feet well enough to consistently cut off the edge from fast NFL pass rushers, as well as handle pro counter moves.

Meanwhile, other players who have consistently shown up in dispatches from Mobile include WRs Michael Wilson of Stanford, Rashee Rice of SMU and tiny Nathaniel Dell of Houston; RBs Tyjae Spears of Tulane and Texas’ Roschon Johnson; DEs Keion White of Georgia Tech, Will McDonald of Iowa State, and Derick Hall of Auburn; Bowling Green DT Karl Brooks; Oregon State TE Luke Musgrave; and CBs Riley Moss of Iowa and Miami’s Tyrique Stevenson.

More importantly, perhaps though, we are starting to pick up some whispers from folks around the Senior Bowl about some potential shifts in the positional landscape of the 2023 draft. In particular, it appears that DE could be emerging as the position of choice, at least early on at the upcoming draft. Indeed, edge rushers Will Anderson of Alabama, Tyree Wilson of Texas Tech and Clemson’s Myles Murphy have been mainstays in the top ten for some time, while Iowa’s Lukas Van Ness is also pushing for a top 10 grade on a lot of boards around the league. At the same time, one of the hottest players in mobile this week is Georgia Tech DE Keion White. NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah, the network’s lead draft analyst and a pretty connected guy when it comes to this stuff, for example, has White all the way up to #8 on his just released first top 50 overall ranking for 2023.

Fact is, we haven’t heard that any teams have White quite that high, but most do appear have him rated in the opening round and more than one has him in the middle of the round. White is a really interesting prospect. He was a lightly recruited TE in high school; in fact his only offer was from old Dominion where he played a couple of years as a TE before switching to DE and then moved to Georgia Tech this year where he had 7.5 sacks. That’s not why NFL teams are intrigued though as he is a full-sized 6-5, 280-pounder with reported 4.6 type speed which all translates into a ton of potential upside at the next level. At the same time, Iowa State’s Will McDonald, is a little undersized but has showed some Micah Parsons like moves at the Senior Bowl and may be starting to get some late first interest of his own. On the other hnd, one DE who appears to be struggling at times in Mobile is Andre Carter of Army who has spent way too much time on the ground. He has the size and quickness but appears to really need an off-season in a NFL weight program.

The other position that appears to be growing in scout’s eyes are the cornerbacks. Again, there has been a lead group of three top 15-20 guys in Penn State’s Joey Porter, Oregon’s Christian Gonzalez and Cam Smith of South Carolina. But THE hottest guy in this year’s draft class appears to be Illinois CB Devon Witherspoon, who it appears maybe the #1 corner on multiple team’s boards. And there is a deep second-tier group on the corner including Iowa’s Riley Moss, another player reportedly moving up boards round the league, along with Georgia’s Kelee Ringo, Miami’s Tyrique Stephenson, Emmanuel Forbes of Mississippi State and Maryland’s Deonte Banks.

Its not all defense, though, as both the TE and OT rooms also reportedly look like they are getting stronger. In fact, the TE position is loaded with Notre Dame’s Michael Mayer a first-round lock, while Dalton Kincaid of Utah, Darnell Washington of Georgia and Oregon State’s Luke Musgrave have all got late round supporters. It also looks like it could be another good year at OT where Northwestern’s Peter Skoronski looks like he has established himself as the top prospect at the position.

On the other hand, the one position where there may be some slippage are the wide receivers. It doesn’t appear, for example, that very many teams currently have any WRs in their top ten while it seems that the second-tier group right behind the top three prospects – TCU’s Quentin Johnston, USC’s Jordan Addison and Ohio State’s Jaxon Njigba-Smith – has thinned out a bit although several receivers including Jalin Hyatt of Tennessee, Boston College’s Zay Flowers and SMU’s Rashee Rice still have later first-round potential.​
                          So basically this guy is Zeus Brown.

Comment

Working...
                          X