2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He is one of the "easy" choices to help reduce our cap deficit. If we keep him, where does Salyer play? Do we resign Pipkins? Who else gets cut to get us under the cap?
    It is repugnant to me that Charger fans want to throw away depth that took years to develop.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It is repugnant to me that Charger fans want to throw away depth that took years to develop.
      That doesn't answer the question. The cap, this coming year and planning for the future all have to be taken into account. Feiler is not old at 30 for a lineman, but his play has been very inconsistent the past 2 years. If we hang on to him, who do you cut instead?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
        Here is a question, what will Feiler & Pipkins expect in free agency? If you can resign Feiler for reasonable (vet minimum) then maybe bring Pipkins back too for hometown discount?
        Why would Fieler resign for vet minimum? He can likely get more elsewhere if we cut him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

That doesn't answer the question. The cap, this coming year and planning for the future all have to be taken into account. Feiler is not old at 30 for a lineman, but his play has been very inconsistent the past 2 years. If we hang on to him, who do you cut instead?
          Agree, we have to shave cap somehow and Fieler imo is a target. Salyer can take his spot, or Zion and move Salyer to RG. Either way, Salyer figures in a starting spot somewhere. Could be RT, who knows but we need depth in the draft as well.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

4 winners and 1 loser from the Reese’s Senior Bowl

Related: 27 players to watch as Patriots turn their attention to the Senior Bowl

By Brian M. Hines@iambrianhines Feb 5, 2023, 5:00am EST
            6 Comments / 6 New Share this story

Photo by Michael Wade/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
            Down in Mobile, Alabama, the National team defeated the American team 27-10 in the annual Reese’s Senior Bowl. Here’s who may have caught the Patriots’ eye for better, and for worse.

Winner: RB Evan Hull (Northwestern). Hull wasted no time making an impact on Saturday as he took the first snap of the game 24 yards up the middle. The versatile back was impressive in the open field and finished with a game-high 74 yards on 10 carries. Hull added two receptions for 11 yards as well.

Winner: OT Darnell Wright (Tennessee). One of the top-rated offensive tackles in Mobile this week continued his production on the game field. The physical right tackle was solid in the run game and was bullying the opposition in pass pro. Wright checks a lot of the boxes New England looks for in tackles and it would be no surprise if he rose in their rankings.

Loser: OT Blake Freeland (BYU). On the other end of the spectrum, it was a rough afternoon for BYU’s Blake Freeland. Freeland’s struggles throughout the week continued as he gave up a sack and was blown backwards into quarterback Malik Cunningham which resulted in an interception. The National team broke a few early runs running behind him, but his issues in pass protection were hard to ignore.

Winner: EDGE KJ Henry (Clemson). Henry was an issue along the edge for the American team, specifically in the first half. He showcased an array of pass rush moves that resulted in several pressures. Henry could be a nice addition along the edge for a team that does not want to use a first-round pick at the position.

Winner: TE Payne Durham (Purdue). The Purdue tight end showed his appeal in the red zone on Saturday as he went up to snag a pass at the one-yard line - setting up the first touchdown of the day. He had an impressive week and also has a lacrosse background.

Other notes:
            • Stanford wide receiver Michael Wilson capped off a strong week with a game-high 76 receiving yards while also hauling in a touchdown.
            • Cody Mauch is a baller. Despite playing primarily left tackle throughout his college career, Mauch lined up at left guard, center, and right tackle on Saturday. He’s likely best suited at guard in the NFL, but the versatility is impressive.
            • Fresno State QB Jake Haener took home the game’s MVP award after going 12-of-19 for 139 yards and a touchdown.
            • Cincinnati LB Ivan Pace, who was voted National team’s LB Practice Player-of-Week, stood out several times throughout the game. Pace was known during his college career for his ability to blow up plays at the line of scrimmage and his physicality was noticeable in Mobile.
            • Rutgers punter Adam Korsak had a beautiful first punt of the afternoon that was downed at the one-yard line. However, he shanked his next punt for just 17 yards.
            • In the field goal department, Maryland’s Chad Ryland went 4-for-5 with a long of 42. His miss was from 52 yards. Georgia’s Jack Podlesny was 1-for-2 with a make from 35 and a miss from 30.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I have spent a long time studying offensive line. There is also the way Chargers do things.

Again, while recognizing that there exists consensus that will be cut, I personally do not think that he will.

Here's another question. Why did Zion not play well at times ? Might it have been because Linsley and Pipkins were injured ?

Like it or not, an offensive line is a chorus line, and experience, including mutual experience matters greatly.

Is THAT not a no brainer ?
              I'm a lousy student, just a born trencher who enjoys a good chorus line. I make a few assumptions about the offense under Moore.
              1. It's going to look different.
              2. One guy has the ball, four or five guys may be going to have the ball, ten may be blockers.
              We'll play team offense. OL set the field but will be getting help IF the dance team knows their steps.
              I saw a lot of interesting variations in Moore's Dal blocking.
              3. Moore has to make his own choices. He's visualizing things on his map, not Lombardi's.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The "answer" had been provided in an edit of my earlier post you had quoted.

What more is there to say, other than that I clearly understand the reasons for cutting Feiler, respectfully disagree, and like everyone else will have to wait and see.

There is no avoidance here. I have been clear.

Hypothetical. We might just hire an OL coach who likes the scheme fit with Feiler's run blocking in space, and who says that can mitigate pass blocking issues. This could lead to us looking elsewhere for cap relief.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

The "answer" had been provided in an edit of my earlier post you had quoted.

What more is there to say, other than that I clearly understand the reasons for cutting Feiler, respectfully disagree, and like everyone else will have to wait and see.

There is no avoidance here. I have been clear.

Hypothetical. We might just hire an OL coach who likes the scheme fit with Feiler's run blocking in space, and who says that can mitigate pass blocking issues. This could lead to us looking elsewhere for cap relief.
                  What I quoted was your saying you did not think he would be cut. What I am asking is if you want to keep him, do you re-sign Pipkins? Where does Salyer play? Who else would you cut instead of him?

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Gotta find a way to keep Feiler, his experience and ability at ORT is invaluable.
                    We assume Salyer can start and last a whole season at LOG but we haven't seen it.
                    injuries are bound to mount.
                    As far as who is expendable, I look on defense.

start over at off ball LB
                    unfortunately.

Edit: just realized my text glitched on the bolded but it looks like most understand my meaning.
                    Last edited by 21&500; 02-05-2023, 12:48 PM.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

What I quoted was your saying you did not think he would be cut. What I am asking is if you want to keep him, do you re-sign Pipkins? Where does Salyer play? Who else would you cut instead of him?
                      I do not have a financial plan.

This off season is as about as wait n see as it gets.

TT said we have to find a spot for Salyer. That has flexibility built in, even Swing Tackle.

I would not be surprised if there is one big moved, necessitating the cutting of no one.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm a lousy student, just a born trencher who enjoys a good chorus line. I make a few assumptions about the offense under Moore.
                        1. It's going to look different.
                        2. One guy has the ball, four or five guys may be going to have the ball, ten may be blockers.
                        We'll play team offense. OL set the field but will be getting help IF the dance team knows their steps.
                        I saw a lot of interesting variations in Moore's Dal blocking.
                        3. Moore has to make his own choices. He's visualizing things on his map, not Lombardi's.
                        Moore could easily desire O'Cyrus, with a Zack Martin vibe. He would start immediately over Feiler.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          Gotta find a way to keep Feiler, his experience and ability at ORT is invaluable.
                          We assume Salyer can start and last a whole season at LOG but we haven't seen it.
                          injuries are bound to mount.
                          As far as who is expendable, I look on defense.

start over at off-baloff-bto start.
                          unfortunately.
                          ghost's Sanders might be the winning play. KVN style flexibility.

Simpson and others later, fits a hybrid, do everything LB-S type mold, to also augment Derwin.

Comment

Working...
                          X