2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

IMO, #21 should be an instant starter. A starter that is on the field at least 80% of the snaps.

Could that be Bijan...? Well if you trade Ekeler to get him... then, probably. My issue with Bijan is not talent. My issue is draft capital to get him.
    Could that be Kincaid...? Possibly. But you're taking Palmer off the field to go 21 personnel a lot. I predict that a 3rd-year Palmer is more dangerous than a 1st-year TE.
    Could it be Bresee...? The physical gifts are there. But I doubt he sees 80% of next season's snaps. And a think Morgan Fox does a lot of the things Bresee will be asked to do.

That's why I keep focussing on CB/DB with the #21 pick. It is the greatest need currently. And I believe that it will also be BPA @#21.

Rounds 2-7 should be used for depth. It's been a problem for a while.
    With the 4 re-structures, and the approaching Herbert re-sign, 2 of those impact players probably get traded or cut at the end of the season... right after the SB win.
    I'm guessing KA gets traded... after another 100+ reception campaign. And Mack probably gets cut. Those are painful losses... but free up $46 million in cap space.
    A RB/WR in the 2nd/3rd... an Edge rusher in the 2nd/3rd... and you have depth this year (with possible replacement for next year).
    Then you go into 2024 draft looking for WR/Edge in rounds 1 and 2...

Plan for departures of Ekeler, Allen, Mack, and Davis after the season.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      IMO, #21 should be an instant starter. A starter that is on the field at least 80% of the snaps.

Could that be Bijan...? Well if you trade Ekeler to get him... then, probably. My issue with Bijan is not talent. My issue is draft capital to get him.
      Could that be Kincaid...? Possibly. But you're taking Palmer off the field to go 21 personnel a lot. I predict that a 3rd-year Palmer is more dangerous than a 1st-year TE.
      Could it be Bresee...? The physical gifts are there. But I doubt he sees 80% of next season's snaps. And a think Morgan Fox does a lot of the things Bresee will be asked to do.

That's why I keep focussing on CB/DB with the #21 pick. It is the greatest need currently. And I believe that it will also be BPA @#21.

Rounds 2-7 should be used for depth. It's been a problem for a while.
      With the 4 re-structures, and the approaching Herbert re-sign, 2 of those impact players probably get traded or cut at the end of the season... right after the SB win.
      I'm guessing KA gets traded... after another 100+ reception campaign. And Mack probably gets cut. Those are painful losses... but free up $46 million in cap space.
      A RB/WR in the 2nd/3rd... an Edge rusher in the 2nd/3rd... and you have depth this year (with possible replacement for next year).
      Then you go into 2024 draft looking for WR/Edge in rounds 1 and 2...

Plan for departures of Ekeler, Allen, Mack, and Davis after the season.
      Good argument there, Nut...can never get enough quality DB's...I would also say IDL and Edge are big PON's, but would have to rotate so not as many snaps as a top-quality corner...

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If Austin Johnson is back 100% then it isn't a top priority is the thing. Which is why I don't get why they didn't offer Fehoko a cheap deal to stay.
        He was playing pretty decent and good depth then you add last year's rookie who I'm not sure how his injury is coming along. Forget his name at the moment.
        Otito Ogbonnia. Ruptured patellar (same as JCJ). It could be a long-term concern. But he's depth. Moa is on the roster (which is probably why Fehoko wasn't re-signed). Christopher Hinton is also on the roster. He's an unknown... but I did like him out of Michigan.

With the re-signing of Fox... I think we're OK along the IDL. I worry about EDGE depth more than IDL.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Otito Ogbonnia. Ruptured patellar (same as JCJ). It could be a long-term concern. But he's depth. Moa is on the roster (which is probably why Fehoko wasn't re-signed). Christopher Hinton is also on the roster. He's an unknown... but I did like him out of Michigan.

With the re-signing of Fox... I think we're OK along the IDL. I worry about EDGE depth more than IDL.
          SJD is a good starter.
          AJ may be.
          Fox is good in a rotation.
          The rest are development potential.
          I'd put edge depth at the same level of need. Go with BPA at Ed / IDL if we're in position to choose one or the other.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

SJD is a good starter.
            AJ may be.
            Fox is good in a rotation.
            The rest are development potential.
            I'd put edge depth at the same level of need. Go with BPA at Ed / IDL if we're in position to choose one or the other.
            I agree and have often done just that. I've found a cluster of EDGE/IDL around the 3rd/4th round range...

IDL = Keeanu Benton (if he slips to the 3rd), Colby Wooden (3rd), Zacch Pickens (if he slips to the 4th), Karl Brooks (if he slips to the 4th)
            EDGE = I start looking in the 2nd. Felix Anudike (2nd), Derick Hall (2nd), Mike Morris (3rd/4th), Isaiah McGuire (3rd/4th), Andre Carter (3rd/4th)

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The value at EDGE/IDL mid rounds if not a significant drop off from bottom of first. DB/Bijan early makes sense, however it plays out. But no no no we are not okay going into 2023 with the same damn 30th ranked RBs, that should not even be a thing.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

I talked to Matt Money smith. Chargers play by play announcer. Interesting things. He hopes the Chargers trade back. He mentioned Jordan Addison would probably be available there. I told him I didn’t think Mayer was Gronk. I said his arms are too small. He said he’s not Gronk. He said Mayers not Gronk. He said Washington Georgia Tight end James Washington might be Gronk. I looked at tape of him. Very similar to Gronk big build. A lot of us didn’t know who Gronk was at Arizona. But like Washington just loads of potential.

after this conversation. I hope we trade back and draft James Washington second round. And then Jamry Gibbs with our next pick. In the second round.

wouldn’t be surprised to see the Raiders draft Washington with thier first round pick. That’s a Raider thing to do. He’s from Vegas and I can see them going crazy over the potential.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Georgia was similar to Aaron Hernandez and Gronk where Hernandez was the bowers route runner receiver and Gronk was the guy that cleared over the middle jump ball in Goal line that’s how I see Washington.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

My top #21 picks are Bijan first then Kincaid, then Flowers.
                    But I won't complain about a top DL,Edge,CB or a trade back either. But yes Bresee worries me at #21 for health reasons.
                    If it's a DB at #21, Joey Porter, Jr. is the guy I want.

There really is no wideout I want at #21.

I'd be happy with Kincaid, but more happy with Bijan.

And I'd gladly survey the supply of beef available, although I'm really expecting beef to be a Day 2 target, moreso than on Day 1.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If it's a DB at #21, Joey Porter, Jr. is the guy I want.

There really is no wideout I want at #21.

I'd be happy with Kincaid, but more happy with Bijan.

And I'd gladly survey the supply of beef available, although I'm really expecting beef to be a Day 2 target, moreson than Day 1.
                      You’re so reasonable.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        The value at EDGE/IDL mid rounds if not a significant drop off from bottom of first. DB/Bijan early makes sense, however it plays out. But no no no we are not okay going into 2023 with the same damn 30th ranked RBs, that should not even be a thing.
                        30th ranked RB production.
                        You might ask "What's the difference?"
                        That would be team, coaching, plays called, team execution vs RBs only.
                        Passing threat, OL blocking, OC (coaching- playcalling) are upgraded.
                        So, same old, same old right up front? Not a chance, with the same RBs.
                        I like Bijan based on elite talent. PON, not so much.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

You’re so reasonable.
                          You're asking for a Quacksaw rant?!? lol

Comment

Working...
                          X